Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I hope that’s the case, but I kinda read it as Efford is considered first choice and Woolery isn’t, but I guess team selections reflected that also towards the end of last season.

I still think last season that we waited months for Woolery to come good, then dropped him when he did.

I mean, aye, you can read it like that and you're probably not far wrong but it really depends on whether it's the manager who's allocating the numbers or players getting a choice of preference and whether it actually matters in any material way.

As @YassinMoutaouakil pointed out Jordan White taking #9 then largely being used off the bench is as good an example as you can get of squad numbering not actually mattering a f**k. Jimmy Scott had 17 and started plenty in his season whereas Sherwin Seedorf going from #11 to #17 felt like a pointed demotion with Jake Hastie taking the number in his place.

Ultimately if #11's available and the bold Joe Efford says "I'll take it please" is anyone going to say "LOL, I think not!"?

Tbh, I've all but given up on trying to second guess Alexander and his processes but the fact that Woolery played the 5th most minutes in the squad makes me think that his reduced role towards the end of the season could easily have been tied to that and us simply wanting to give Bazooka Joe a run in the team as much as it was a conscious "dropping".

1197934558_ScreenShot2022-06-24at11_41_45.thumb.png.462358aeaf92df1a6dfafe851cf2323b.png

So Declan major move to Aberdeen has been cut a year short. Sure it helped his bank balance but from being a starting Scotland defender and stick on for Euros to well (probably )Paisley. 
You wonder had he stuck it out at Motherwell and focussed on playing he may have got a better more lucrative move that would have worked out. Guess we will never know….

Indeed, we will never know. But in these scenarios I nearly always think it proves the guy in question (be it Gallagher, Hastie or a.n.other) was right to cash the cheque when it came. Gallagher had reached nearly 30 having played for Dundee-Livingston-Motherwell, he had the best - arguably only truly quality - six months of his career behind him to bargain with and no guarantee it'd continue. Arguably by 20/21 it'd had gone in fact, never to return at club level, and the cash Aberdeen would have given him a huge amount of financial padding for the rest of his life, even if he's hardly going to be retiring at 35.

As a fan I'm obviously rolling in schadenfreude that his big move didn't work out but I certainly don't begrudge him taking it in the circumstances...and nor am I petty enough to hope his career sinks without trace, if he turns it round at St Mirren fair play to him.

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, aye, you can read it like that and you're probably not far wrong but it really depends on whether it's the manager who's allocating the numbers or players getting a choice of preference and whether it actually matters in any material way.

As @YassinMoutaouakil pointed out Jordan White taking #9 then largely being used off the bench is as good an example as you can get of squad numbering not actually mattering a f**k. Jimmy Scott had 17 and started plenty in his season whereas Sherwin Seedorf going from #11 to #17 felt like a pointed demotion with Jake Hastie taking the number in his place.

Ultimately if #11's available and the bold Joe Efford says "I'll take it please" is anyone going to say "LOL, I think not!"?

Tbh, I've all but given up on trying to second guess Alexander and his processes but the fact that Woolery played the 5th most minutes in the squad makes me think that his reduced role towards the end of the season could easily have been tied to that and us simply wanting to give Bazooka Joe a run in the team as much as it was a conscious "dropping".

Reading the tea leaves through squad numbers is amusing to pass the time but of no relevance whatsoever to the season ahead.

Woolery was unlucky to be dropped for Efford when he was I thought but his non-appearance at the very end was surely down to the shits going around the club at the time. 

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Indeed, we will never know. But in these scenarios I nearly always think it proves the guy in question (be it Gallagher, Hastie or a.n.other) was right to cash the cheque when it came. Gallagher had reached nearly 30 having played for Dundee-Livingston-Motherwell, he had the best - arguably only truly quality - six months of his career behind him to bargain with and no guarantee it'd continue. Arguably by 20/21 it'd had gone in fact, never to return at club level, and the cash Aberdeen would have given him a huge amount of financial padding for the rest of his life, even if he's hardly going to be retiring at 35.

As a fan I'm obviously rolling in schadenfreude that his big move didn't work out but I certainly don't begrudge him taking it in the circumstances...and nor am I petty enough to hope his career sinks without trace, if he turns it round at St Mirren fair play to him.

I agree with everything you say.  Well apart from him turning it around at St Mirren. As a direct rival I hope he and the ex Motherwell players and Manager bomb next season starting with the opening day of the season obviously.

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I agree with everything you say.  Well apart from him turning it around at St Mirren. As a direct rival I hope he and the ex Motherwell players and Manager bomb next season starting with the opening day of the season obviously.

Yeah, I obviously hope they have a stinker on the opening day but I've got nothing really against the vast majority of our old boys pitching up in Paisley and in the cases of Robinson, Lasley, Dunne, Carson and Tait even quite like them. Apart competing against us, I'd quite like St Mirren to do well next season. 

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yeah, I obviously hope they have a stinker on the opening day but I've got nothing really against the vast majority of our old boys pitching up in Paisley and in the cases of Robinson, Lasley, Dunne, Carson and Tait even quite like them. Apart competing against us, I'd quite like St Mirren to do well next season. 

I am the exact opposite I cannot stand the club. The sooner they are relegated the better

7 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I am the exact opposite I cannot stand the club. The sooner they are relegated the better

Why? I enjoy a little bit of temporary needle with a bigger fish that pinches our folk periodically (namely our never-learning friends in the north) but outside the Old Firm and 'derbies' the only mob I take particular pleasure in beating is Hearts, the trauma of a youth spent getting soaked on the Gorgie terrace watching us get utterly humped in the late 80s.

When we have no real connection to them I can't understand why anyone registers any animosity for St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Falkirk etc. It's even an okay away day so it's not like you'd get rid of a Livingston/St Johnstone like trip should they go down.

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

I'm the opposite, I've got time for supporters of any club within 20 miles of Glasgow who don't align with the OF bullshit.

I would be up for us signing Gogic just because they want him back, keeps the banter bus bobbing along.

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

Always regarded their club and fans as decent. This increased one hundred fold when their fans unfurled a banner in tribute to Uncle Phil when he passed away.

Class.

St Mirren are decent lads imo and i wish them no real ill will. Gallagher is an absolute helmet though, so that has a slightly negative impact on their decentness levels, and I can't wait to see big Kev bodying f**k out of him as per usual when opening day comes around.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Why? I enjoy a little bit of temporary needle with a bigger fish that pinches our folk periodically (namely our never-learning friends in the north) but outside the Old Firm and 'derbies' the only mob I take particular pleasure in beating is Hearts, the trauma of a youth spent getting soaked on the Gorgie terrace watching us get utterly humped in the late 80s.

When we have no real connection to them I can't understand why anyone registers any animosity for St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Falkirk etc. It's even an okay away day so it's not like you'd get rid of a Livingston/St Johnstone like trip should they go down.

My thoughts immediately go to Nick Cusack.