Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, stu92 said:

Not sure if this point has been made by someone else previously, but I thought it interesting that both signings made so far this season have been established senior SPFL players whereas last year we signed players from more or less everywhere but there (Scandinavia, EPL academies, lower league punts, etc). I wonder if that is just by coincidence or design. 

It's a good point.

I was 100% the guy that used to moan about Robbo having a hard on for Conference/L2 guys so I am not going to complain now.

I do like the fact that Alexander has cast the net wider and doesn't seem to isolate recruitment to any one league. I'm not sure if that is just a result of Brexit or a genuinely broader scouting network. Whether his success rate has been any better is debatable though.

It looks like Hibs and Aberdeen are going to step up their recruitment this year so I doubt they can be as shite as they were last year. Generally I'd be shocked if we managed to get top 6 with the level of quality we are currently carrying.

Last few years I've sat in pre season naively optimistic because we have mostly had a fresh slate of players that I don't know much about. This year however I know a lot about the guys that we have and the majority aren't up too much. With that being said, I think if we are able to work out a system and playing style that works then bring in actual first team quality players we might be okay.

In my view we should be in the market for guys who are starters rather than squad players, we have enough of them. Probably highly unlikely but I think we atleast need a starting striker, centre back and left back as a minimum.

No harm to them, but some of the guys in those positions are not of the required to be considered first team quality (Shields, Efford, McGinlay, Ojala, Maguire) these guys are fine for the bench but there should be folk ahead of them

Edited by Luke92

Just for fun...is this an "Alexander type" signing?

Three clubs from the Scottish Premiership? Rule out Celtic, Rangers, Hearts straight away. Probably Aberdeen and Hibs as well. Killie already have big weird Kyle and the best young striker in Europe.

Edited by capt_oats

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just for fun...is this an "Alexander type" signing?

Three clubs from the Scottish Premiership? Rule out Celtic, Rangers, Hearts straight away. Probably Aberdeen and Hibs as well. Killie already have big weird Kyle and the best young striker in Europe.

Bois be like ...... "please please please"

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I know it was mentioned when the club posted that chryotherapy video but Connor Shields is fucking built eh?

I don't think us mere mortals appreciate how fit and strong you've got to be at this level. 

Case in point: Sherwinator

Any normal walk of life he's a beefcake. On the pitch, he's the skinny winger who needs to be stronger on the ball.

(As an aside, is Sherwin Seedorf still even in the game?)

NINTCHDBPICT000521954466 (1).jpg

19 minutes ago, CoF said:

image.png.55ea6e555f36afac985f7caea9341c3d.png

Edited by Doctor Manhattan
ETA: Seedorf was taken on trial by Czech top flight club Banik Ostrava during the summer of 2021 but was unsuccessful and was not offered a contract.

18 minutes ago, CoF said:

I don't think us mere mortals appreciate how fit and strong you've got to be at this level. 

Case in point: Sherwinator

Any normal walk of life he's a beefcake. On the pitch, he's the skinny winger who needs to be stronger on the ball.

NINTCHDBPICT000521954466 (1).jpg

Last I saw, he had a trial but never got offered a contract by some Czech team last year.

1 minute ago, AdamMFC said:

Last I saw, he had a trial but never got offered a contract by some Czech team last year.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that he'd been injured for most of last season.

Actually, here it is...Football Insider.

Reading and Stoke are plotting moves for ex-Wolves and Motherwell winger Sherwin Seedorf, Football Insider understands.

Seedorf, who is a relative of the Holland and AC Milan legend Clarence Seedorf, remains a free agent since leaving Motherwell at the end of the 2020-21 season.

The 24-year-old attacker saw injury problems prevent him from signing for a new club in 2021-22, but he is now back to full fitness and looking to sign for a new team.

Link

There's an IG post embedded in the story of him after his operation.

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Waiting patiently for someone to transcribe the changes to player squad numbers please so we can tut and get in a huff over nothing. Thanks in advance.

From what I could see there 

3. Carroll

4. Lamie

6. Maguire

7. Spittal

8. Slattery (from 16)

9. Van Veen

11. Offord (from 20)

14. Ojala

15. Solholm (from 21)

16. McGinn

17. Woolery (from 7)

18. Cornelius

19. McGinley

22. Johnston (from 24)

25. Devine

28. Mahon (from 45)

No sign of Kelly, SOD, Mugabi and Tierney (assuming extended international leave). Didn’t see Fox or Goss there and didn’t catch Shields’ number.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

4 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

From what I could see there 

3. Carroll

4. Lamie

6. Maguire

7. Spittal

8. Slattery (from 16)

9. Van Veen

11. Offord (from 20)

14. Ojala

15. Solholm (from 21)

16. McGinn

17. Woolery (from 7)

18. Cornelius

19. McGinley

22. Johnston (from 24)

25. Devine

28. Mahon (from 45)

No sign of Kelly, SOD, Mugabi and Tierney (assuming extended international leave). Didn’t see Fox or Goss there and didn’t catch Shields’ number.

You can see Goss near the start talking to Ojala by his brief.

Think Fox's partner has just had a baby so maybe that's why he's not in.