Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

How dare Alan Burrows go on holiday and have a life when it leaves people waiting 6 HOURS to know whether they should book a trip to Bala or Sligo.

Some of our fans are fucking idiots and will find literally anything to moan about.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

How dare Alan Burrows go on holiday and have a life when it leaves people waiting 6 HOURS to know whether they should book a trip to Bala or Sligo.

Some of our fans are fucking idiots and will find literally anything to moan about.

I don't really understand the first point - there are plenty people who work at FP, including some from an award winning communications/media team. We will have known for longer than the length of AB's holiday that we might consider asking for a switch, a tweet saying hang off until details are confirmed by UEFA would have taken literally a minute to prepare and send if needed. Yes, people were taking a risk, they should have checked UEFA/used common sense etc...but still, this was an absolute freebie from the club who should have 100% known that some people would have been taking a punt the second the draw was made because that's what some always do.

Second sentence is spot on mind, even if I think the club could have done better here.

I suspect some of the overblown annoyance comes from the accumulation of small things. We went from having genuinely A+ comms to the sense the ball has been dropped a little recently...now some are fair, some are not but this incident comes on the back of the Rangers game debacle, total radio silence on the training ground plans but suddenly millions going into the pitch, a manager who is deliberatively uncommunicative/secret etc.

The club will argue that the manager, whatever his manner, did fine, and I don't think anyone seriously objects to the pitch and so on...there's just a general feeling (at least among my lot) that the communication of decisions, which are nearly always perfectly reasonable when you drill down, just isn't what it was.

Inevitably - and definitely unfairly - the form on the pitch of the last months amplifies grumbles.

It's also human nature that when the comms chief decides to head to pastures new the focus is perhaps lost a little. But most people agreed we needed a reset over summer after the tetchy start to the year, minor things like this absolutely do not help, and work needs to be done to get everyone in a good mood, willing to back the team and club again going into what could still be a very positive 22/23.

With all the travel booking frenzy stuff - is a Sligo-Motherwell game really going to make a huge difference to pricing on a very well served route between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Dublin that makes a gamble on booking when the times and venues haven't been confirmed worthwhile? (Knock is obviously a different story). 

The number of folk that would go to Ireland will probably be around or just below 1000 - if you spread that over (say) 20 flights from Glasgow and Edinburgh over the Wed-Sun period and factor in that some folk will come by ferry or other flights, I can't see that - even though it will go up on some flights - the price will suddenly go mental (and given that the route is served by multiple airlines and Motherwell supporters will make up a small proportion of their overall passengers, they can't just go for price gouging as they could on a "1 plane a day" type route).

This isn't a Scotland or Old Firm away trip.

57 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

You’d hope that the folk moaning about booking travel for a fixture that, as yet, doesn’t even have a confirmed opponent exercise the same razor sharp common sense in other aspects of their lives.

Or do they tweet Flow to get a decision on what to wear when they get up each morning?

Personally I consult him most mornings on whether to have jam or marmalade on my toast and whether the buses and trains are running on schedule.

Edited by santheman

Additional quote lifted from Alexander's chat yesterday.

Seems we're in discussion with "two or three"...which sounds about right given the info reported back from the AGM which was that we were expecting a maximum of 5 IIRC.

“Blair Spittal was a great start, I felt, for the summer. He had an excellent season for Ross County and was really eager to join us – which was great to see. 

“He will be a great player for us and there are two or three we are talking to at the moment and have been for maybe a week or so. Sometimes you think you are close and it goes on for another week. 

“Sometimes you think it’s miles away and then it’s ready to be done in an hour. It’s really hard to gauge sometimes, but we’ve had some really good conversations with a couple of players. 

“If we can get them, I think they will improve the group, but we are not looking to have a big overhaul. 

“We have the basis of a really good squad, I think the players proved that last season but it’s always important to add to that with fresh blood and new faces. 

“So we are working hard to do that and ideally if we can get them in before pre-season that is really important. Last season we started pre-season with eight or nine contracted players, it was really difficult. 

“Hopefully we won’t have to go through that again this season.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats

I don't think it's really too much to expect a club to communicate a fairly significant thing like that to their supporters in advance of the draw.

They did an tweet outlining potential opponents and a whole website article outlining the dates of the fixtures. They must have known this was on the cards when they did that. The lack of the slightest bit of consideration for fans at every club across the country is ridiculous, but it somehow seems even worse when it's a fan-owned club who win awards for their communications.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think it's really too much to expect a club to communicate a fairly significant thing like that to their supporters in advance of the draw.

I think this is fair (and something acknowledged by Burrows last night) - but I also don't think a disclaimer saying that fixtures weren't confirmed until 6pm today would have stopped the small group of folk gambling on a cheap flight.

Edited by Swello