Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Still really pleased with this draw.  The one I would have selected and definitely hoped for.  Certainly from an ease of travel, expense of travel and an opportunity to progress.

Not the easiest draw perhaps but better than Elfsborg, the Bosnian and Polish team (should they progress).  Having the 1st game at home should also be a bonus. That said I also thought that v Stjarnan 🤬.

Will look at travel options and hope that everyone who wants to travel can get a ticket. 

You all know that the fixture isn't confirmed till tomorrow at 6pm in case either side wishes a switch? With us having a sandpit (sorry "upper root zone") at present we may ask for a fixture reversal.

If we end up in Wales I won't be after a ticket, I'll have my jolly in Dublin to look forward to.

Edited by Kapowzer

24 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

You all know that the fixture isn't confirmed till tomorrow at 6pm in case either side wishes a switch? With us having a sandpit (sorry "upper root zone") at present we may ask for a fixture reversal.

If we end up in Wales I won't be after a ticket, I'll have my jolly in Dublin to look forward to.

Valid point.  The club were possibly / probably hoping the home leg was on the 28th July allowing more time for the pitch to become playable. 

41 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Still really pleased with this draw.  The one I would have selected and definitely hoped for.  Certainly from an ease of travel, expense of travel and an opportunity to progress.

Not the easiest draw perhaps but better than Elfsborg, the Bosnian and Polish team (should they progress).  Having the 1st game at home should also be a bonus. That said I also thought that v Stjarnan 🤬.

Will look at travel options and hope that everyone who wants to travel can get a ticket. 

Has anyone travelled to an away game when the tie was essentially settled in the first leg? Does it lose its appeal?  I have had a few European trips but the away leg was usually first. In Athens we had already lost the first leg.

25 minutes ago, ropy said:

Has anyone travelled to an away game when the tie was essentially settled in the first leg? Does it lose its appeal?  I have had a few European trips but the away leg was usually first. In Athens we had already lost the first leg.

I went to Athens and Valencia when it was basically over as a contest - loved both of those trips, although to be fair the cities were great places. Would a trip to Bala Town be attractive if we get scudded 3-0 in the first leg? Doubt it.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

I went to Athens and Valencia when it was basically over as a contest - loved both of those trips, although to be fair the cities were great places. Would a trip to Bala Town be attractive if we get scudded 3-0 in the first leg? Doubt it.

I was hoping that we were doing the scudding and there was a lack of jeopardy in the away tie.  Just there for the beer?

A bit random but I thought this article in The Athletic which is basically off the record interviews with English scouts about Scottish football was pretty interesting generally but it had a couple of things in it that caught my attention that apply to us.

First - the idea that a player that is fouled a lot is seen as a potential asset was never something that I had even considered - Slattery must be on plenty of scouting reports :)

Lewis Ferguson is only still at Aberdeen because of the fee. I wouldn’t go for him at £3-4 million, even though I like him. He’s one of the most fouled players in the league, which can be attractive to teams who are strong at set pieces.

Second - with the idea of a hefty sell on in mind - this is interesting:

Does the Old Firm being so dominant mean some scouts find it hard to know how players’ skills would translate in England?

Premier League scout 8: It’s all about appropriateness. I like David Turnbull as his tactical awareness of how to play against a low block is really good and that is what we need at our club, so doing that every week for Celtic is good for us to assess. Calvin Bassey wouldn’t suit us though, as we need to be better on the ball and his athleticism bails him out some of the time, but he’s developed brilliantly (since a summer 2020 move from Leicester City’s academy ranks).

It's probably about someone else but I kante help thinking of a certain player when reading this one:

Are Premier League teams more likely to wait until players signed from Scotland prove themselves in the Championship before making a move?

Premier League scout 1: People who don’t actually go out and watch games will always play safe. There was a perfect example of a player who has done very well in England that everyone was watching for years. A scout spent months recommending him to the club yet the reports were largely ignored. It was only when the manager had a chat with his former manager, who raved about him, that they decided to buy him. Now he’d be worth 10 times what he was then.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm hoping we're just there for the beer and the tie is already safe!

For me - my last Euro trip was Athens. 10 long years ago.

I don't want to wait for another 10 years.  That is my motivation. 

If we win comfortably in the 1st leg then we can enjoy the away leg even more and hope for another victory.  If the tie is still open then the away leg is very important. Very important that we back the players etc 

But as mentioned above I do wonder if the club will seek a change of dates due to the ongoing pitch work.  Flow did not mention (I think) last few posts that is was on track timewise.  Would rather that than changing to Hamilton or Airdrie.