Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Are they levelling the pitch? Fir Park used to be one of my favourite grounds but that out of proportion away stand ruined it…

Partially. They will be putting some of the ground back so there will still be a slope. It just won't be as big as it was previously.

This work will effectively remove the slope view in both the away and Cooper stands as well as turning a lot of Restricted view seats into normal seats.

All for the cost of the East Stand wall (plus £1.5 million)....

8 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Partially. They will be putting some of the ground back so there will still be a slope. It just won't be as big as it was previously.

This work will effectively remove the slope view in both the away and Cooper stands as well as turning a lot of Restricted view seats into normal seats.

All for the cost of the East Stand wall (plus £1.5 million)....

Out of interest, why will there still be a slope? Can it not be totally removed?

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

With all this talk of former Motherwell players ending up in Paisley, it got me thinking about Las.

The chance of the gig there must have been floated about 3 months ago, 2 at the earliest based on when it first came to light in the press and on here. Obviously as part of the backroom team at Motherwell he would have been aware of targets we are chasing and negotiations. In his new role he has effectively got access to two scouting networks (albeit the new one seems to consist of "have you ever eaten at Upper Crust?").

Of course there will be some cross over as we exist in a place where we're chasing the same pool of players who would also consider a move to us and financially within our means. But Las certainly goes to his new job armed with a bit more info potentially to our detriment unless when he first discussed the move at FP he was either removed (or removed himself) from discussions of that nature or was included but an understanding not to pursue anyone who was floated. I don't know it would have been a tricky one to manage.

Just overthinking things a touch - answered your own question all the same…

I’ll be overjoyed if his espionage credentials see them sign Blair Spittal.

Edited by Onthefringes

Out of interest, why will there still be a slope? Can it not be totally removed?

The issue is the POD and Hunter were built based on the slope so there’s a 6ft difference between one and the other.

For a level pitch the issue you’d have is either taking 6 foot off the Hunter level or finding a datum halfway across the park and backfilling the POD side by 3ft which would mean a climb from the tunnel onto the pitch. Worked for Liverpool I suppose.

The width of the park available is what defines this, we don’t have enough room to build in a ten riser set of stairs (taking 170mm as the standard step size) to achieve 1.8m before the edge of the pitch. You could dog leg the stairs to save a little bit the width has to be enough to safely evacuate the stand quickly.

3ft is probably what can be accommodated easily with minimal disruption (lost 130ish seats). It does open up the possibility of digital advertising because our old wall was too shallow to accommodate.

Who’s rattled like?

Not on here. Under every single post about said players/coach it’s just filled with cringey Motherwell fans.

Probably the same ones who travelled down to Preston just to see Louis Moult.

They can have all they want ...... Brandon Parade, M&D’s and the Brass Button "Beer Garden”.

77C1C1AE-7BEB-46F1-86EB-36A371ECA89E.jpeg.c0a2e6336c442a33105041a2590ebfca.jpeg

However, a non negotiable … we’re keeping Craig Whyte as our favourite son.

ED535CB4-2043-4C9B-B657-ED38CAB8989A.thumb.jpeg.c1dba6b4dabee56fc7d88f8e075b5104.jpeg

Edited by Kapowzer

23 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Not on here. Under every single post about said players/coach it’s just filled with cringey Motherwell fans.

Probably the same ones who travelled down to Preston just to see Louis Moult.

Thats just social media for you. Absolute cringefest all round.

The most important signing for us will be Keith Lasley. Excited to see what he can bring to the club, hopefully we can reach heights that we weren't able to do so under top 6 Tony. 

35 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Why do some Motherwell fans seem genuinely rattled that former players/coaches are signing for St Mirren?

Think 99% is just sarcasm, as the only one you'd worry about is finding a way past Carson in goals, a very good keeper. None of the others you would lose a minutes sleep over.

The remaining 1% is just the usual Twitter reply guys who really shouldn't be allowed out of the house on their own. Some very special takes and cranial detachments over bang average players moving to a rival club. Bizarre. 

I know that financially we have to shop in a fairly restricted market, but St Mirren buying almost exclusively from ML1 is pretty funny tbh.

Think 99% is just sarcasm, as the only one you'd worry about is finding a way past Carson in goals, a very good keeper. None of the others you would lose a minutes sleep over.
The remaining 1% is just the usual Twitter reply guys who really shouldn't be allowed out of the house on their own. Some very special takes and cranial detachments over bang average players moving to a rival club. Bizarre. 
I know that financially we have to shop in a fairly restricted market, but St Mirren buying almost exclusively from ML1 is pretty funny tbh.
This is it for me. Carson is the only one I'd say I'm disappointed about (if thatw the right word). If he didn't have shite luck with injuries there's a fair chance he'd still be our number 1.

The rest of the former players St Mirren have signed fall into the "do a job" category at best. Should they sign Grimshaw and Donnelly, which wouldn't be a surprise, then both of them would also fall into this category.