Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

From a Rangers fans perspective, you'd be gaining a player with undoubted quality. A master at reading a game and being able to break up play and also get the team on the front foot with penetrative passes. He's not really a goal threat these days but contributes well in building attacks.

With that being said... I was very critical of him at the start of the season. His form wasn't where it needed to be, however that could've been said for much of the team. He was then out the team for quite a bit but since coming back in has contributed well.

It doesn't look obvious that he has lost too much in terms of fitness as he gets older, but having only played in 31 of our games this season that may be an indicator that he is beginning to decline.

How's his neck muscles? He'll need them for watching the ball getting cannoned directly over his head for 90 minutes every week. 

Our player budget last season was above what we would normally be comfortable with. That includes paying £30-50k for Tierney. Still seen asa coup as many clubs we’re interested.

So this season it will be less. How much less I am not sure. But I would have to imagine that would rule us out of making an attractive offer for Steve Davis. You never know but would he be prepared to go from £20k per week to £2k per week. Depended on what else is out there, but I would assume a Championship or League 1 club in England would blow us and St Mirren out of the water so to speak. 

To me Rudden would be no better nor worse than Shields. Both fit and fast. Would we not look for something a little different ? That said we were supposedly in for him when he opted for Dundee. 

51 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:
As for Davis, said when chatting to mates earlier, I'd pass. Ye he's class and he's defo an improvement on what we have but I am always wary of old guys stepping down. Think Brian McClair scarred me.

Take it you don’t remember what Davie Cooper brought to the club 

8 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Take it you don’t remember what Davie Cooper brought to the club 

I was young but Davie Cooper was my favourite player.
Davie was also not 37 years old when he arrived.

We all know about his technical ability but he strikes me as someone who would hopefully raise standards across the board too, rather than just turn up for a last pay day. Unless his legs have gone I'd be all for it.

We are also dangerously close to not having any Northern Irish players which I think contravenes some sort of unwritten rule at the club.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Steven Davis came off the bench in a European final last week, and started a Scottish Cup final on Saturday.  Yes, he's 37 but there's no doubting he's still a fantastic footballer, and would be a stand-out in a Motherwell team.  As Yassin states above, he'd also be setting a standard in the dressing room that he'd expect others to get to.

If he's settled in the area he's in, then a player/coach role at Motherwell or St. Mirren would definitely appeal as opposed to playing in some English seaside league for the final year or two of his playing career.  I still expect him to stay on at Rangers, tbf, even in a reduced role.

Edited by Desp

Playing beside Davies for a season would be the best education Slattery could ever have - similar to a Skippy/Moult thing where an already decent player works alongside someone who has played at a higher level. Think it would be a great move.

Forget Moult.  Scott McDonald should get a statue outside Fir Park for making Lee Erwin look like a footballer and netting us the best part of £500k.

Can't add much that's not already been said on Davis. Obviously still a very talented player despite his age, and by all accounts is a model pro who really looks after himself. He'd be an ideal role model for Slattery, Maguire and Cornelius, and could possibly take on a player/coach type role if that's something he's looking to get into after playing.

It'd be a bit of a result if we could convince him to join, but he started 14 games in the league for Rangers this season with another 5 appearances off the bench so was still fairly involved. He also missed approx. 2 months around the turn of the year with an injury so would likely have got some more game time if not for that.  Think the most likely outcome is he stays at Rangers with a reduced role. 

St Mirren would have association on their side and we have money and Europe. I suppose the other factor is who will offer him a role beyond his 38th birthday. I think the service he's offered them he'll be offered a Defoe type role there however.

If he fancies a move into being a keeper coach then it's a done deal.

47 minutes ago, Desp said:

Forget Moult.  Scott McDonald should get a statue outside Fir Park for making Lee Erwin look like a footballer and netting us the best part of £500k.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Scott McDonald is the most influential Motherwell player of the last 20 years. 

17 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Scott McDonald is the most influential Motherwell player of the last 20 years. 

You're absolutely right.  I've said similar on this very thread I'm sure (basically said he's been our best/most important signing of the 21st century).

Had a very strong hand in keeping us up three times, scored a shit load of goals and made players better by playing alongside them (Moult & Erwin).  Including his own transfer fee, and that of the two others I've mentioned, he brought in about £1.5m in transfer fees.  Plus, whatever else we made by not getting relegated.

Oh, those two goals in a meaningless game for us were funny as f**k as well.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Playing beside Davies for a season would be the best education Slattery could ever have - similar to a Skippy/Moult thing where an already decent player works alongside someone who has played at a higher level. Think it would be a great move.

Can't be fucked googling but I'd imagine they actually overlapped at Southampton too.

47 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Can't be fucked googling but I'd imagine they actually overlapped at Southampton too.

A quick scan shows they would have certainly be in and around the Southampton first team squad in 17/18 & 18/19, albeit they never played together.

Slattery made his debut for Southampton the day before Davis signed for Rangers in January 2019.

45 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Never thought of that - but now you mention it, I'm sure there was a "did you ever play with with EX-RANGERS STAR STEVE DAVIS at Southampton?" question when he signed and I'm sure he said something like "I trained with him now and again". 

It's probably to found under the headline "Slattery gives Stunning Ex-Ger Steve Davis Answer"