Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Seeing the list of released players and am i the only person who is baying for more blood.

We had one of the worst defences in the league even if you write off a couple of pumpings to the OF. Every defender is back for next year, except Lamie who we seem keen to keep.  It either is we don't bother improving or we end up carrying a lot of dead weight again.

For anyone else to leave we're either going to have to agree a payoff for them, or another club will need to come in for them. The latter is unlikely if they're as shite as we think they are. I wouldn't be surprised if others leave, but thats going to take time.

Still seeing people hoping McGinley will leave despite the fact we just extended him a couple of months ago.

16 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Seeing the list of released players and am i the only person who is baying for more blood.

We had one of the worst defences in the league even if you write off a couple of pumpings to the OF. Every defender is back for next year, except Lamie who we seem keen to keep.  It either is we don't bother improving or we end up carrying a lot of dead weight again.

You're not but that was never going to happen today.

If we could somehow pap off Carroll (as he's more likely than McGinley contract wise) and gently nudge Ojala in the direction of a final hurrah in Finland in the next couple of months it'd be excellent business.

21 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Agreed.

Something I've noticed happening more often in England with retained lists is the inclusion of players who have been "transfer listed" which is quite the throwback to the quaint notion of "the transfer list".

eg: from Morecambe

"Jonah Ayunga, Ryan Cooney, Ryan Delaney, Courtney Duffus, Wes McDonald, Ryan McLaughlin, Shane McLoughlin, Anthony O’Connor, Jon Obika and Connor Pye remain under contract but have been made available for transfer."

Link

I'd imagine that it's something that can be worked on over the summer without publicly forcing folk out the door, which is very much not our brand.

Edited by capt_oats

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Grimmy gets his own wee video...good lad.

Actually wild to think he was originally a Baraclough signing like.

Some of the comments on Instagram are the main reason why I avoid it.

Am I right in saying no one on here suggested we hold onto him just due to length of service?

20 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If we could somehow pap off Carroll (as he's more likely than McGinley contract wise) and gently nudge Ojala in the direction of a final hurrah in Finland in the next couple of months it'd be excellent business.

The old “if you want first team football you may want to look elsewhere”, “I don’t see you as part of my plans” type chats happen I hope.

26 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Am I right in saying no one on here suggested we hold onto him just due to length of service?

No but a case could be made that a dirt cheap, versatile, mega professional 25th guy in the squad could be worth another year depending on budget and other targets. There's no complaints when not picked, sound in the dressing room, not a target for the fans despite his flaws and ready to give everything when unexpectedly needed for an emergency 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, the fact he's not been on the pitch for months even in our almost collapse means it was definitely time to move on. But I imagine Grimshaw will regularly be at a club perhaps higher than his relative ability level due to his non-playing attributes.

I hope we don’t sign Blair Spittal because I think he’s rubbish. I also hope we don’t convince Lamie to stay, half a good season (where we were still leaking goals all over the shop) doesn’t make him suddenly a good player. Maybe I’m still haunted by the COVID season. You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.

7 minutes ago, Swami said:

I hope we don’t sign Blair Spittal because I think he’s rubbish. I also hope we don’t convince Lamie to stay, half a good season (where we were still leaking goals all over the shop) doesn’t make him suddenly a good player. Maybe I’m still haunted by the COVID season. You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.

Agree with regards the Lambie stuff. Yes he's improved but at one stage he was creating enough errors for his own feature length bloopers dvd.

Hopefully see a few more defensive changes over the summer. 

4 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

No but a case could be made that a dirt cheap, versatile, mega professional 25th guy in the squad could be worth another year depending on budget and other targets. There's no complaints when not picked, sound in the dressing room, not a target for the fans despite his flaws and ready to give everything when unexpectedly needed for an emergency 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, the fact he's not been on the pitch for months even in our almost collapse means it was definitely time to move on. But I imagine Grimshaw will regularly be at a club perhaps higher than his relative ability level due to his non-playing attributes.

I suppose that works if he also doesn't have any ambitions of being anything other than a rarely used squad player for another year. I suspect it's similar to the spheil Celtic put out about Rogic and Bitton ...... both been away from home for quite a while, mutual agreement between player and club its the right time.

4 hours ago, Swami said:

Nonsense. Ross County fans have said he has been one of their best players this season. And as a replacement for either Donnelly or OHara I am all on board. As in a replacement for midfield. 

I also have it on good authority that there is a better than evens chance that it will happen. So if you are upset at the prospect. Chances are you will be upset…..

Not disappointed with the released list in the slightest. There's no one on there that you'd consider to be a massive loss. The obvious stand out is probably Donnelly but he's not a player I could ever take to for some reason. We never really figured out his best position and bar his purple patch a couple of seasons ago, he always seemed to be injured and would then be off the pace once he was back.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Lamie signed a new deal to have around as a squad player but not for an extra £35k a year (or whatever Dundee supposedly offered him). Ojala looks done so I wouldn't be disappointed if we came to some sort of agreement with him. I can also see Carroll and SOD being offski one way or another - based on nothing in particular, I have a feeling that Alexander has never really taken to either of them and a fresh start might be better for both.

Other than that, it'll be another interesting summer to see which sort of pool we're looking in for players given that we seem to have (finally) binned the model of signing 10 English non-league players in the hope that 1 or 2 turn out to be decent.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Ojala looks done so I wouldn't be disappointed if we came to some sort of agreement with him. I can also see Carroll and SOD being offski one way or another - based on nothing in particular, I have a feeling that Alexander has never really taken to either of them and a fresh start might be better for both.

Alexander gave Carroll a new deal appallingly early so there must have been something he liked at some point. But having moved Lamie and SOD out to the left late in the season the penny does seem to have dropped a little. Based on team need and what's possible, I imagine Carroll and Ojala are top of the list we're looking to get out of their contracts.

As for SOD, I'd be surprised if he goes - I get the feeling that barring an outrageous deal elsewhere he's happy as a home bird, the club like having a local boy made good as an image player and his performances against County and Hearts were much more back to what we and he would expect.

Alexander btw was highly complimentary of SOD's attitude and approach at the AGM, basically one sentence after admitting he was out of form and second best for RB (then) behind Mugabi. So - publicly at least - it's just business, nothing personal...and tbh SOD for almost his entire career (until his difficulties last season) was a more than solid full back, firmly in the 'would do' category for us. When he's under contract it's surely much more likely we'll try to build him up again rather than write him off.