Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I don't know if @RandomGuy. is still doing his radar graphs but it'd be interesting to see how Spittal compared with Watt last season.

From memory, due to the weird way WyScout tag some positions, I think he's involved in the CM groupings rather than the W options, but I'll try and double check at some point.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

he's class and huge. 

Sold. 

On Spittal, I'd take him on the basis that I have in my head he saves good games for playing against us, so he can't do that if he plays for us. 4D chess.

Edited by thisGRAEME

In other news, not that they've been a factor for 20 years but the diamonds got papped by Queens Park in the Championship play off.

I don't think I've ever seen a strip as chronic as the Spiders away one, needed to lie down in a darkened room afterwards.

Edited by Kapowzer

15 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

In other news, not that they've been a factor for 20 years but the diamonds got papped by Queens Park in the Championship play off.

I don't think I've ever seen a strip as chronic as the Spiders away one, needed to lie down in a darkened room afterwards.

It's supposedly every result in their history and that is a looooooot of red.

31 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It's supposedly every result in their history and that is a looooooot of red.

Is that right? Alexander has commissioned our new away strip to reflect the story of 2022

image.png.ca69ce3f0071888fb0d1ac870440ef44.png

*Green and red striped shorts (with the arse missing out them for the final game).

Livi last year, next year Partick

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Where is the GTF list, Burrows?!

No real surprises.

THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS WILL LEAVE AT THE EXPIRY OF THEIR CONTRACT OR RETURN TO THEIR PARENT CLUB AT THE END OF THEIR LOAN:

• Mark O’Hara
  • Liam Shaw (end of loan – Celtic FC)
  • Darragh O’Connor
  • Justin Amaluzor
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Peter Morrison
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Cody McLeod

THE FOLLOWING PLAYER HAS BEEN OFFERED AN EXTENDED DEAL:

• Ricki Lamie
Edited by capt_oats

Pretty much as expected and seems like the right time for a parting of the ways in each case.

Lamie obviously executing the get out clause in his PCA with Dundee, but assume he's exploring his options before committing to the extension offered. Personally, although he's improved considerably in recent times from his early days, I just feel that going into the new season with the same core of central defensive options is the wrong move. I think we need a more natural leader in there than what we currently have, so moving him on and seeking a replacement in that mould would be my preference. Unless we could somehow get someone to take Ojalaa off our hands. In that case I'd 100% punt him and the Bathgate Maldini can stay.

Other than that, someone creative with a heart larger than a pea in midfield, and another forward capable of chipping in with double figures in the goals for column should be priorities.

5 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

The St Mirren squad is going to fairly bulk out over the next week or so. 

They had the socials post up confirming O'Hara at 3pm as soon as our squad update was published. :lol:

Edited by capt_oats

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Shaw's a weird one. Didn't get much of a chance but didn't really do anything to merit one either.  It'll f**k me off if he goes back to Celtic and turns into Kristoffer Ajer or something. 

Shaw kind of fell into that category of player who had a game where GA seems to have made a decision on them.

See also - Carroll getting sent off against Dundee then disappearing until December, Grimshaw getting hooked after 45 mins at Dens when we lost 3-0, he didn't start a game for the rest of the season.

Shaw cost us 2 goals at Tynecastle then was subbed off with a head knock after 40 mins in the 1-1 against St Mirren in Paisley (clearly not his fault), then missed the next game as it was Celtic so was ineligible. After that he's only made 5 sub appearances.

Edited by capt_oats

Only real surprise there is I thought Donnelly would have been offered a new deal. Not because I thought he was worth one but I assumed GA thought so. Combined with the struggles to find U.K. based players as conveyed at the AGM and his ability (in theory) to play in a few different positions.

I also said before, while McPake offered Lamie £700 a week extra to move to Dundee, that equates to £35k a year. His two pivotal goals have guaranteed us £500k minimum extra. His agent would have a good shout bringing that up in any negotiation.

Now that Donnelly's departure is confirmed I wonder how his 4 year stay will be regarded by the fans .

FWIW I'm left a bit sad that he has gone as I've always felt there was a player in him. Not just for his explosive goal scoring one season but his versatility.

Even though I was never sure what his best position was I felt having been at Dingwall 2 weeks back that he may after all have found his niche  as a right sided CD cum sweeper role.

Now as a Motherwell player we will never know.

Goes with my best wishes and with a wee feeling of ' the one that got away'.

He was okay. Like a lot of players at our level, the issue wasn't how good he was at his best but how often he got there and for various reasons the answer was not enough.

What I always found interesting about his 2019 move to midfield, his reputation was made then by his scoring spell when he wasn't actually supposed to be scoring goals. Which sounds a ridiculous thing to say but briefly taking penalties and banging in a few meant there was much less discussion over how he was doing in the holding role than there should have been before we extended his deal on no doubt good terms.

He was certainly unlucky with injuries but when he came back, without the one off goal burst, I thought he was average at best before the final high of County and Hearts where he was again very good.

I wouldn't have been angry had he stayed but happier we're rolling the dice on trying for someone better. 

Edit to add for all that, in four seasons here we made Europe twice - he certainly leaves with a well done and good luck.

Edited by Handsome_Devil