Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I know the top tweet has already been posted but it's linked in the thread...

I see we're getting a "fence" in front of the East where row A used to be - interested to see what that looks like. If it was up to me, I would have added an extra row at the front, purely for Linesman intimidation purposes.

So the seedings for the Europa Conference League have mostly been confirmed.

Here is what 2nd round looks like.

FS3xccoWYAAU-J-.thumb.png.162e3aa756576330646771bbdb399de8.png

Again this isn't final but it's a clearer idea of who we could face. Draw takes place a month from now.

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I suspect he's been given some metrics, he's exceeded them, so he's feeling (correctly) he's done his job... Accepts it wasn't perfect. 

(Perhaps 'entertaining football' can't be quantified so it wasn't asked for 😏)

Think Alexander’s objectives from the board since he arrived at the club IMO would have been

2020/2021

Don’t get relegated ✅

2021 /2022

minimum - Don’t get relegated ✅

target - Top 6 finish ✅

Stretch - European place ✅

Super Stretch - Win a domestic cup ❎

So since he arrived Alexander has more than meet the targets that were set for him and IMO he will be in line for a nice end of season bonus. Also agree that playing entertaining football ( not guaranteed to win football matches)  would not come into the equation. It may do next season but the main objective for the club will not to get relegated.

Regarding Q2 of Europa Conference, I'd seen a few folk saying it would be regionalised and therefore a high chance we'd be drawn against an Irish or Welsh team for example. 

The graphic shared by @Phillips455 seems to indicate we could draw anyone from Crusaders in NI to Kyzhlzhar in Kazakhstan...

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

So do we draw somebody from the right columns then?

I have nae idea how this works. 

Right hand column are unseeded. Us and 4 other seeded teams and 5 unseeded teams will be put into one group each numbered 1 to 10. Then the draw itself will be 2 balls, each containing a number. What numbers picked will determine who we will Play.

So once Uefa confirms everything  we will know what 5 teams we potentially could play against. Right now we could play any team that's unseeded.

2 minutes ago, tonicg said:

Regarding Q2 of Europa Conference, I'd seen a few folk saying it would be regionalised and therefore a high chance we'd be drawn against an Irish or Welsh team for example. 

The graphic shared by @Phillips455 seems to indicate we could draw anyone from Crusaders in NI to Kyzhlzhar in Kazakhstan...

Just to clarify, whilst not fully regionalised, there will be pots of 10 teams with each team given a number between 1 to 10. Then the draw itself will just being picking which number plays which.

This means up to 9 fixtures are decided each time instead of having to draw 45 seperate fixtures.

14 hours ago, ropy said:

Does Alexander come across as a fun loving, can take a joke kind of a guy?  Did he hold his hands up to any particular errors or disclose any of the issues that were not public.  Or was it more light hearted fare than that?

Think Rostok covered the night very eloquently and can't really add much more to what he's said.

Very focused and won't stand for any unfair criticism of the team and very loyal to his players.

Was very aware of the criticism he was getting.

On a personal note I had a chat with him out in the foyer and he came across as a decent friendly guy.

7 minutes ago, Desp said:

A wee trip to Gibraltar would be magic!

Maybe Philips can clarify but wouldn't the pots of ten balls all be from the same neck of the woods?

Further afield is from round 3?

In the earlier stages it will be our standard fayre of Wales, NI, Eire, Iceland, Faroes I suspect.

Big eye opener in that list is how 2 teams from Gibraltar have higher coefficients than the Polish 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishers. Swedish league, too, 3 teams in the unseeded side. I suppose because their national teams are decent thats what has raised an eyebrow.

Gibraltar, 34,000 population, 12 teams (1 folded), 1 stadium, 4 teams qualify for Europe ..... mental.

7 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Big eye opener in that list is how 2 teams from Gibraltar have higher coefficients than the Polish 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishers. Swedish league, too, 3 teams in the unseeded side. I suppose because their national teams are decent thats what has raised an eyebrow.

I'm not sure that's the case. Once you find out who those teams are I suspect Motherwell will slide down near the bottom of the seeded teams, there isn't enough to unseed us though.

9 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Maybe Philips can clarify but wouldn't the pots of ten balls all be from the same neck of the woods?

Further afield is from round 3?

In the earlier stages it will be our standard fayre of Wales, NI, Eire, Iceland, Faroes I suspect.

Gibraltar, 34,000 population, 12 teams (1 folded), 1 stadium, 4 teams qualify for Europe ..... mental.

Basically they make pots of 10 teams, 5 seeded and 5 unseeded. Seeded are 1 to 5 and unseeded are 6 to 10. The pots are made by a computer algorithm to help regionalise pots without conflicting. Pots are not regionalised from the 3rd round onwards. Then the draw itself is a random seeded number and unseeded number, one is picked as the home team for the first leg.

If you cast your mind back to the 20/21 season where the 1st and 2nd round we got a Northern Irish Team, then the 3rd we got the Isreal team. That's how it works but two legged ties instead of one.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm not sure that's the case. Once you find out who those teams are I suspect Motherwell will slide down near the bottom of the seeded teams, there isn't enough to unseed us though.

Radow, Pogon and Lechia have all booked their places with 3.175, Busta

Djurgardens 4.575 and AIK 5.000 from Sweden too.

Europa from Gibraltar have 4.500 ... that can't be right

4 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

He came across a bit defensive, I think he's defending his team as much as himself, but he feels the criticism is unjustified across the whole of the season. I suspect he's been given some metrics, he's exceeded them, so he's feeling (correctly) he's done his job... Accepts it wasn't perfect. 

(Perhaps 'entertaining football' can't be quantified so it wasn't asked for 😏)

Without wanting to come across as a GA stan, I probably fall into his corner on this. I wouldn't necessarily go overboard demanding credit but I understand why he's chippy about it. There's been a weird saltiness from various places (including the reply guys in our own fanbase) about us being in the Top 6, especially from people who had hot takes at the start of the season about where we'd be finishing (hint: it wasn't Top 6).

The obvious caveat is they won a cup double last season which I imagine adds a massive gloss to things but to use St Johnstone as an example; we finished on the same points as they did at the split last season, we've won more games, scored more goals and have more points than they finished up with in 5th. I don't remember the same sort of narrative we've had about them not deserving to be in the Top 6 - the difference is the distribution of results that got the points.

In that respect GA's right to point out that the league runs August to May not January to April.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is that we had more points than 6 other teams at the split. We had the points on the board early, they didn't.

Incidentally, it was a rare treat to hear @thisGRAEME on the Monday Terrace pod last week and his summary of the season was pretty much spot on IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

I am just reading this thread as I received a text to say 

“Your new passport has been printed, and will be transferred to our delivery supplier in the next few days. When it's ready for delivery, they will contact you with a tracking reference.” 

Delighted as I only applied a few weeks ago after reading stories of 10 weeks +. Let’s hope I get a chance to use it assuming we get a Welsh or NI side in QR2. 

4 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Radow, Pogon and Lechia have all booked their places with 3.175, Busta

Djurgardens 4.575 and AIK 5.000 from Sweden too.

Europa from Gibraltar have 4.500 ... that can't be right

Ah my apologies, I just assumed they were all in that white zone.