Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

We usually do one of those wee end of season review type things on the socials with Burrows or the manager.

Appreciate that we've learned that pretty much everything Alexander says publicly should be taken with a crate of salt but it'd be interesting to hear what the general position is.

@welldaft referenced it a couple of pages ago but identifying that the the defence needs fixed and we need to improve aspects of the squad is a pretty good start IMO. On a basic level I'd agree with him that we have the nucleus of a good squad.

"We can't just focus on European football. We need to strengthen and remember the league programme as well. You will see the other big clubs at this level improving a lot.

"They will spend a lot of money so we need to work exceptionally hard to improve what we have if we want to stay as competitive as we have been this season.

"We have quite a lot of contracted players, lads for the future, lads for now. But we have to improve. 

"There are certain things in our results that we have to get better at. We have done a lot of good things this season but we have always been aware of where we need to be better. So if we can improve certain aspects of our squad and our team then we have to do that. I feel we have a nucleus of a good squad." 

"Our defensive record is not good enough,” he said. “Plain and simple.

"We have scored a lot of goals this season but we have to look at the structure, how we set up, a lot of things, but the goals against, if you look over the course of the season, have hurt us a little but so we have to look at that."

Link

Do folk on here go to the Player of the Year things.  I’ve always assumed it’s the same 100 souls that turn up to every event the club puts on.  I’ve never considered it, possibly because I don’t live in the town (any more).  Am I missing out?

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

On a basic level I'd agree with him that we have the nucleus of a good squad.

I think so too - I also think that a huge knee-jerk clearout and rebuild would be massively counter-productive at this point.

We naturally need to trim the squad to a post-Covid size, there are players that are OOC and are leaving anyway, so we will get the chance to (hopefully) bring in some decent players to fix any glaring problems. I'd be happy with 5 "quality" players rather than 10 could-do-a-job types.

22 minutes ago, ropy said:

Do folk on here go to the Player of the Year things.  I’ve always assumed it’s the same 100 souls that turn up to every event the club puts on.  I’ve never considered it, possibly because I don’t live in the town (any more).  Am I missing out?

I'd always thought it'd be decent if we got about 15 of us to a table but I've never been.

45 minutes ago, ropy said:

Brilliant night out you should try it.

And it might wind some folk up but Tam Cowan is superb as a compere, as un PC as you can get.

His Q&A session with Alexander on the stage was comedy gold.

34 minutes ago, santheman said:

Brilliant night out you should try it.

And it might wind some folk up but Tam Cowan is superb as a compere, as un PC as you can get.

His Q&A session with Alexander on the stage was comedy gold.

It was a big event last night,going by the numbering system there were 25ish tables typically with 8+ people on each.  Obviously the team and staff took up a few of those but it's stepped up a gear since the last one I attended (Nicky Law's final season) 

The media team had set up screens and prepped a bunch of highlights packages, it was slick and well run

And my group (including another English guy attending his first 'well match) all agreed Tam did a fantastic job 👍

Big Bevis is a lovely guy to meet, as expected

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

5 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

They’re definitely in the “could do a job” bracket.

That saved a lot of time for for everyone, you’re all welcome.

"I think he'll be aiming higher than us" is one of my other Transfer Window favourites

Has there been a single transfer rumour at all for us this summer? Can't remember seeing one if so and even a token linkage to the obvious (McAlear say) hasnt been spotted.

I guess it's in theory better the club keeps the cards close etc and announces business when done but gossip about targets, renewals, friendlies etc is often more fun than the actual football...

Maybe Alexander has found the solution for stopping transfer rumors, to go along with gaslighting us on injuries and the like. He's a villain.

Saying that, off to find the list of out of contract players in Scotland, and promising championship guys.

Here it is https://www.transfermarkt.com/scottish-premiership/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/SC1