Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

f**k is the Keith Lasley award?!

Struggling through adversity from the Physio’s bench?

Fair play lowest crime count (irony) award?

Edited by Kapowzer

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

f**k is the Keith Lasley award?!

Most improved player award apparently. 

To be fair to Barry Maguire, I think he was solid for us until his injury and am I not right in saying said injury almost coincided with the start of our miserable run? 

9 hours ago, fat_tony said:

Looks like very much the "shitfest the first half, go for it after half time, then hold on for dear life" that is #alexanderball. Although admittedly I'm steaming right now so may be interpreting the data wrong emoji23.png

:lol:

My main takeaway is that #Alexanderball was generally successful at home but pretty ineffective (I'm being polite) away.

We conceded more goals in the first half of away games than any other half of football this season and scored only 1 (ONE) goal. If the tactic was to "keep it tight" in away games then it simply didn't work.

We scored first in 11 of our 19 home games vs 3 of 19 away (albeit we won 2 of those 3). The opponent was leading at H/T in 15 of our 19 away games vs only 5 of 19 at home.

All these screenshots are from this site btw: https://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?league=scotland&stats=11-motherwell

191494950_ScreenShot2022-05-15at07_40_13.thumb.png.8017b5f587df56964bcfc41906eeb8f3.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 07.40.36.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 07.40.54.png

Edited by capt_oats

7 hours ago, tonicg said:

Most improved player award apparently. 

To be fair to Barry Maguire, I think he was solid for us until his injury and am I not right in saying said injury almost coincided with the start of our miserable run? 

The coveted ‘you used to be pish’ award 

At least Alexander confirmed yesterday that the goals against and defence is an area that will need addressing. 

Which is interesting as I believe most of the defence is tied down for next season.

Need to wait to see what happens with Lamie of course. But I genuinely believe as a minimum we need a starting CB and LB and possible back up to SODs if Max is going to take more time to develop. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

At least Alexander confirmed yesterday that the goals against and defence is an area that will need addressing. 

Which is interesting as I believe most of the defence is tied down for next season.

Need to wait to see what happens with Lamie of course. But I genuinely believe as a minimum we need a starting CB and LB and possible back up to SODs if Max is going to take more time to develop. 

Aye, Kelly, Mugabi, Johansen and erm, McGinley all have another 2 years. SOD, Ojala and Carroll have 1 year.

I know it's been the main topic of conversation on here but the difference pre/post winter break raises obvious questions on top of having the 2nd worst goals against record as well.

Pre-break we'd played 20 and conceded 27 so 1.35 gpg conceded.

Post-break we've played 18 and conceded 34 so 1.88 gpg conceded.

It's the same defence, what happened?

This is actually out by a goal (we've conceded 61 not 60, they're missing an away GA) but it's another interesting home/away split. Our home GD is -2 vs an away of -17.

1301908109_ScreenShot2022-05-15at10_28_21.thumb.png.e6dd28c2537d549f5a63e2258dfcad89.png

There's probably a broader question in so much as whether it's down to system and shape or individuals etc. We stuck with the 433 and the way we played it put pressure on full backs, we changed bodies in the midfield 3 as well.

Looking at the season we lost 6 games by a 1 goal margin, 6 by a 2 goal margin, 1 by a 3 goal margin (Dundee away) and 3 by 4+ (Rangers x1 and Celtic x2).

512016016_ScreenShot2022-05-15at10_45_17.png.9eaaf060a27da16e6b8d74f090185412.png

Edited by capt_oats

The amount of goals conceded again the old firm is the main  issue.Lets be honest,2 draws with rangers was brilliant,But we have shipped the best part of 25 goals over the season to the old firm.

We seem to fall apart anytime we're near celtic,My opinion is we need to man up and do a Livingston and go there to fight for a draw.Plenty teams no better than us have taken points and positive results against the old firm.

Dundee united ain't any better than us but beat the rangers and took points off celtic!!

Why can't we?This needs addressing as the old firm ain't anything special!It angers me so much the way we are against the old firm.

A new centre half,left back,centre mid,Winger and a striker as a minimum over the summer.

Quality over quantity.

58 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Is release day likely to be tomorrow?

You'd think it would be. On the face of it it feels pretty straightforward.

The majority of the squad is contracted for next season, even the current cohort of Reserves are on deals to 2023 (Johnston, Campbell etc).

The OOC players are;

• Morrison, Lamie, O'Connor, Grimshaw, Nirennold, O'Hara, Donnelly, Amaluzor, Roberts.
  • Shaw (loan expires)

O'Connor and Amaluzor were 1 year contracts (DOC's already back in Ireland going by his IG) while Nirennold and Roberts were short-term to the end of the season. Grimshaw's already had his send off from the Bois and O'Hara's PCA has been reported (if not officially confirmed).

The only real question marks there are Lamie given the clause in his PCA and Donnelly (IMO).

Last year and the curtailed Covid season aside they've generally been published within a couple of days of the final game (in the case of 15/16, the next day).

20/21 - 24th May 2021 (final game was 16th May)
19/20 - 31st May 2020 (final game was 7th March in the curtailed season)
18/19 - 21st May 2019 (final game 18th May)
17/18 - 21st May 2018 (final game 19th May)
16/17 - 22nd May 2017 (final game 20th May)
15/16 - 16th May 2016 (final game 15th May)

Edited by capt_oats

Aye, Kelly, Mugabi, Johansen and erm, McGinley all have another 2 years. SOD, Ojala and Carroll have 1 year.
I know it's been the main topic of conversation on here but the difference pre/post winter break raises obvious questions on top of having the 2nd worst goals against record as well.
Pre-break we'd played 20 and conceded 27 so 1.35 gpg conceded.
Post-break we've played 18 and conceded 34 so 1.88 gpg conceded.
It's the same defence, what happened?
This is actually out by a goal (we've conceded 61 not 60, they're missing an away GA) but it's another interesting home/away split our home GD is -2 vs an away of -17.
1301908109_ScreenShot2022-05-15at10_28_21.thumb.png.e6dd28c2537d549f5a63e2258dfcad89.png
There's probably a broader question in so much as whether it's down to system and shape or individuals etc. We stuck with the 433 and the way we played it put pressure on full backs, we changed bodies in the midfield 3 as well.
Looking at the season we lost 6 games by a 1 goal margin, 6 by a 2 goal margin, 1 by a 3 goal margin (Dundee away) and 3 by 4+ (Rangers x1 and Celtic x2).
512016016_ScreenShot2022-05-15at10_45_17.png.9eaaf060a27da16e6b8d74f090185412.png
Can we not just arrange to offload those now considered deadwood to St. Mirren? I thought that was how it worked.

30 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

What was the time frame for the hybrid pitch being completed? 2 months?

I think its supposed to be 5-6 weeks (but I would assume near the 2 month mark). In theory it should be ready by the first Europa Conference game.

My views on the state of the squad.

As widely reported elsewhere, these are the OOC players:

• Justin Amaluzor
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Ricki Lamie (pre-contract signed with Dundee)
  • PJ Morrison
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Darragh O’Connor
  • Mark O'Hara (pre-contract signed with St Mirren)
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Liam Shaw (end of loan)

Happy to see them all out of the door. Perhaps offer O’Connor an extension if he’s progressed while out on loan.

From the contracted squad, if split into keep, not fussed and please move.

Keep

• Dean Cornelius
  • Max Johnston
  • Liam Kelly
  • Bevis Mugabe
  • Stephen O'Donnell
  • Connor Shields
  • Callum Slattery
  • Ross Tierney
  • Kevin van Veen
  • Kaiyne Woolery 

Not fussed (Squad players)

• Scott Fox
  • Barry Maguire
  • Robbie Mahon
  • Nathan McGinley
  • Juhani Ojala (Needs a decent pre-season. If no improvement, move out)
  • Sondre Solholm Johansen (Needs a decent pre-season. If no improvement, move out)

Would be happy to see out the door (If any takers)

• Jake Carroll
  • Joe Efford
  • Sean Goss

So, for next season, I feel we need

• at least 1 Centre Back, maybe 2 depending on Ojala & Jojansen. 
  • a Left Back/Left wing back
  • 1 holding midfielder/ ball winner.
  • 1 creative midfielder 
  • 1 striker as backup to van Veen
  • 1 attacker who can play left or right when we go 4-3-3.

I’d happily play 4-3-3 at home and 5-3-2 away.