Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Good ol' KVV, It's hard to imagine a more smug and self-satisfied look than that 😆

Do you think he's been looking at that yellow card table too?  I can't believe he'll settle for just joint top.  A stick-on for Saturday.  I might have to put a fiver on him, though I suspect the odds will be rather short

10 minutes ago, Desp said:

He definitely dyes that beard.

Wee Ross kippered him in the comments with the same chat.

Now we’re three buses, back with the big boys in Europe etc. ….. we gonna complete the signing of that guy from Galatasaray for £6m?

Some of the bodies that Robinson's Thunderdome side took will be getting found under there.

When was the last time anyone heard from Harry Cochrane? 

So there's two possibilities here. 1- this work will discover the buried voodoo doll that makes us bad at throw-ins. Or 2 - this work will disturb an ancient burial ground resulting in us being cursed with even worse throw-ins.

This is a bit Steelmeny of me but I'm convinced we score early in a big home game then concede an equaliser 5 minutes later more than just about anyone else in world football.  Usually against the Old Firm, but Hearts on Wednesday was another example. I'm pretty sure I have the image of our defenders and goalie standing with hands on their hips infront of the Cooper end blaming each other burned into my head, just with different kits and faces each time.

6 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Then there's the recruitment - on the face of things, our recruitment looked positive this summer - the background Van Veen, Shields, Kelly, Ojala, Solholm and Slattery arrived definitely suited me, but it's not always worked out that way. I think we were all a bit excited we went all different and Scandanavian with our centre backs this season, but on the face of it, if you asked me now who I'd play at full strength, I'd probably say Mugabi and Lamie. Ojala has been badly off the pace since he came back into the team and I'm sceptical that Sol's poster boy look and willingness to take the megaphone affects the perspective of him. January was an utter write off (Tierney and Nimblerod's injury time tackle aside)

I hope Alexander has learned from the Tombola escapades next season. In January he could just have given Roberts and Shields a few games to see who was Watt's successor from within, but instead that led to changing the whole team and formation several times over. 

There's no doubt he deserves a crack at Europe next season and will be given it. There's been times I've been for getting rid of him, but when you think about the win % that Maloney, Goodwin, Robinson and McGhee have since taking over - it shows you that unless you have a properly good successor - changing the manager for the sake of it just isn't worth it.

On the recruitment I think we've got more right than wrong in terms of the significant ones. I'd guess that there was always an acknowledgement that we were never going to turn over an entire squad in one window/season so there were going to be some bodies who were likely to be filler.

The fact we needed players in for the LC groups at a point where our squad was hugely in flux and we hadn't got a bunch of our main targets in only added to that I guess.

The main investments ie: the 3 year deals (Kelly, Slattery, Woolery, Tierney, Shields and Johansen) have all been broadly fine (IMO). All of them have shown they're capable at this level and while we might not flip them for millions equally there's no one that's looked out their depth. I'm not disagreeing that at the moment first picks are probably Mugabi and Lamie but equally I think there's probably a degree of leeway due for Johansen given his season started last May. It wouldn't be a huge surprise if stopping for the winter break just saw him hit a wall and struggle to get back.

On a basic level I don't think anyone would deny that both Ojala and Johansen looked fine in the period just after they signed.

I'm largely of the view that Efford is someone we've taken a punt on given it was an 18 month deal but equally it's worth factoring in that he's arrived at the club mid-season and it's a new league so there's probably some sort of period of adjustment. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's not the answer for us but he's scored more goals since he's arrived than Tony Watt has for United...so, there's that.

Going back to a statement Daws made in the #content clip the club put up on YouTube about recruitment it'll be interesting to see if this approach still holds in the coming window: 

"We set out right at the start to aim high, to pitch for players that we may have thought we wouldn't have got previously, to explore markets that we may not have explored as actively in previous seasons and to invest in infrastructure that has allowed this to happen."

It's interesting that as yet we've not been linked with any PCAs given Robinson usually had about half a dozen confirmed with Tommy Wright announcing them to the press for us in a seethe. Although I suppose if we're working with Hearts towards a rule change on when PCAs can be agreed it wouldn't be a great look for us to have leaks coming out about that sort of stuff.

Alexander has made a point about this being his first full season managing in Scotland and I think it's fair to say he's misjudged a fair amount specifically the League Cup group and similarly he didn't seem to handle the winter break well (bearing in mind there was no break last season when he arrived).

Had he lost both the County and Hearts games along with our impending battering by Celtic I think it'd have put everyone in a pretty awkward place. As it stands though, it feels like this season has been a transitional one and I'd hope that lessons have been learned.

As I've said before, my preference has always been for Alexander to give his head a wobble and fix his mistakes and given the way the season's finished there's no doubt that he gets the summer as a platform to do that.

Edited by capt_oats

Based on the YouTube video that was doing the rounds about 3 weeks ago. According to statista.com our average salary was £74.130 for 2019/20. I can’t find the reference material they used. So for every Watt on £150k plus, there’s a youth team player on £12k to even if it out.

With at least one European game and gate confirmed you’d hope it’s northwards of £400k from UEFA, tickets, TV and minus costs.

Potentially two or perhaps three as in 2020 but I doubt Flao will assume that is a given and budget for worst case scenario.

We’re also going to get UEFA solidarity payments (don’t know when they come through), I think I seen it mentioned it will be in the region of £250k and £350k if the currants win the Europa. However as most teams in the league will receive it and we’re all looking in the same talent pool then I don’t see any significant advantage over our competitors, if anything it will just get agents to drive up the base wage.

However overall I don’t think it’s beyond belief that we will accrue an extra £1m over a standard year (above and league placing is over our budgeting for 10th) and if we do good business certainly £1.5m is a strong possibility.

Losing O’Hara, potentially Donnelly, and Lamie(?) and the most conservative above puts us in the 7 quality first team starter territory.

Lamie’s agent would have a very legitimate shout that while Dundee we’re gong to pay him £700 a week more, his two pivotal goals have earned us a fair chunk of that and it equates to £35k a season.

There's yer STs announced.

Also that Hinchliffe on his way out to United anaw. By my count that's all Robinson's backroom staff away. Ross last season, Boles to Celtic (B), Lasley to St Mirren, now Hinchliffe.

Edited by capt_oats