Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

51 minutes ago, Desp said:

Also, when did the all amber section go in on the top tier of the South?  Tell me this is new because I've not noticed that before until last night.

The claret fir tree was definitely still there at the Hibs Mugabi brainfart game, as we were talking about how it was just a triangle when it first went in and had grown branches over the years.

I've been about as negative as anyone the last 5 months so I think it's only fair that I point out a job well done. Say what you want about Alexander (and there has been a lot said) but he knows how to grind out results. It was his changes at half time that got us through last night.

Fitbaw is a funny old game and part of the fun is how fickle we all are.

Taking a step back, I don't think there was any real right and wrong here, in terms of opinion. The support has legitimate concerns about the team/management given the recent run of form and playing style. I don't think we should pretend everything in the garden is rosey but we should definitely enjoy this achievement and say fair fucks to Alexander and the players.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is I think some balance is required between 'Alexander out' versus 'the table doens't lie'. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Let's not pretend this season hasn't been shite but Alexander deserves his crack at Europe given what he has done on paper.

I genuinely hope this can be a jumping off point for us to change the way we play and the some of the guys in the team. I know we have quite a few people nailed down on longer term deals but I would still like to see quite a few players moved on in the summer.

As much as I may not sound it, I am buzzing for Europe. The thought of actually going away to the continent to see us play is amazing. I've never had the chance to see us away in Europe for a variety of different reasons so I am hoping we can get a decent trip to go to. Probably too early to say but I can mind someone used to do a website on potential opposition for all the UEFA competition would be interesting to see!

Edited by Luke92

I guess I can officially update a post of mine from last year then!

In the last 30 years....

Finished 2nd four times.

Finished 3rd three times

Top 6 fifteen times.

Champions League once.

Europa League six times.

UEFA Cup three times.

Cup Winners Cup once.

Scottish Cup winners once.

Top League Scorer twice.

One of only three clubs to not be relegated.

One of only four clubs (inc Old Firm) to play in Champions League.

One of only four clubs to play in all four European competitions.

One of only four clubs to split the Old Firm which we've done twice.

Came within 5 points of winning the league.

Aberdeen have also never been relegated, have four 2nd place finishes and have split the OF, but they have never played in the Champions League.

Hearts have played in the Champions League and all four European Competitions, have split the Old Firm but only have two 2nd place finishes, and have been Relegated twice.

Hibs have split the old firm but have never finished 2nd, have never played in the Champions League and have been relegated twice.

Rangers, well....that could be debated in a hundred aspects til the cows come home.

30 years is just to give us a larger sample size and discount any "flash in the pan" or purple patch. In fact most of that was done in the last 10/12 years so it's not even as if anyone can point to "current wee team harking back to past glories".

Anyone that thinks we should be aiming to stay up and anything else is a bonus, or who lumps us in with the Killies, Livi's, St Johnstone's of the world are absolutely bananas.

There literally isn't a club other than Celtic who can clean sweep us across the board, and no other non-city club that's even in the discussion.

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

The thought of actually going away to the continent to see us play is amazing. I've never had the chance to see us away in Europe for a variety of different reasons so I am hoping we can get a decent trip to go to. Probably too early to say but I can mind someone used to do a website on potential opposition for all the UEFA competition would be interesting to see!

I'm the same, I haven't ever seen us play away in Europe, and despite making a promise to myself that no matter who we ended up drawing if we ever made it again I would be there, I won't be able to go again next season! 😒

During our wee purple patch circa 2008-13 I was a skint student who could never afford it, Covid ruined it last time ... and arguably also this time because my wedding had to be postponed from last July to this July. The second qualifying round is the week before/week of my wedding and if we get through to QR3 I'll be away on honeymoon. 

Praying that Grezza can shitfest his way through a couple of rounds so I can make it for the playoffs! 

I'm the same, I haven't ever seen us play away in Europe, and despite making a promise to myself that no matter who we ended up drawing if we ever made it again I would be there, I won't be able to go again next season! [emoji19]
During our wee purple patch circa 2008-13 I was a skint student who could never afford it, Covid ruined it last time ... and arguably also this time because my wedding had to be postponed from last July to this July. The second qualifying round is the week before/week of my wedding and if we get through to QR3 I'll be away on honeymoon. 
Praying that Grezza can shitfest his way through a couple of rounds so I can make it for the playoffs! 

Sit back with your feet up, you’ll have 3 away games to get to when we reach the group stage.

6 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Sit back with your feet up, you’ll have 3 away games to get to when we reach the group stage.

Haha here's hoping!

Amazing what a couple of narrow wins against County and Hearts can do for the positivity!

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

I've never had the chance to see us away in Europe for a variety of different reasons so I am hoping we can get a decent trip to go to

I've been on a lot of our trips - but my only wish this time is that we get a nice accessible Western or Central european draw that means a lot of folk can make it. Nancy is the benchmark for me as there were lots of ways to get there and the support we took was magnificent. 

I've got a weird hankering for Slovenia as I like saying the word "Ljubljana"

On 01/05/2022 at 17:46, ropy said:

When we were winning games we just did enough, when it came to top six, we just did enough.  Could we do enough for Europe?

I suspect we may pick up some points in the next two games but County will beat United on the last day and it will all be for naught.

No longer a concern 

I've been lucky enough to have been on a few European trips. If you get the chance and have the available funds (appreciate every c**t is tightening their belts right now) then jump at the chance. It's fucking magical. The game itself always seems a bit bizarre, but the build up to the game, having a few beers in random town/city with 'Well fans dotted about is superb. 

My last trip was for Levante (I missed Athens as I moved house that week!) and since then I've been married and became a Dad. The little one isn't so little anymore so I did raise the prospect of a trip with the Mrs last night. It wasn't the "get yourself to absolute f**k" that I was expecting, so if it's not a team from the arse end of Azerbaijan, I might have a chance here, lads... 

I've also done a few but with life getting in the way I haven't made any since Athens. I'll really struggle if it's Q2 and out but I've basically informed the wife that if we have an August game which is remotely feasible to get to I'm going and she'll just need to deal with it...she's smart enough to call my bluff and say aye whatever now so we will see!

Can only recommend it for anyone who hasn't managed one before, unforgettable experiences.