Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Through total apathy I’ve only attended 2 games this season, the 1 nil against Dundee earlier in the season and the Morton cup game. Game on Wednesday actually has some significance. Might pop along just in case we get a result. Won’t be going for the scintillating football though

20 minutes ago, dezz said:

I see Allan Campbell is sweeping up the end of season awards at Luton. Sitting here like a proud da’ 🥲

Hopefully we have a comedy add-on in the event that he gets top flight appearances down south.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

As it stands it wouldn't surprise me at all if we draw with Hearts, County beat United and we all end up on 44 points with us missing out because of our shitey goal difference.

I worked a scenario where they get absolutely scudded 6-0 by Celtic on Wednesday - we finish on equal goal difference and we pip them to 5th on goals scored, but I forgot our last defeat in this scenario is at Celtic park...

11 hours ago, dezz said:

I see Allan Campbell is sweeping up the end of season awards at Luton. Sitting here like a proud da’ 🥲

We've had more than our fair share of quality graduates from the academy over the last 20 years or so, but for me Campbell had the best attitude and mentality I've ever seen in a young player who came through our system. 

Not surprised at all that the Luton fans think he's braw, he's had a great season there.

Just now, For Your Pies Only said:

We've had more than our fair share of quality graduates from the academy over the last 20 years or so, but for me Campbell had the best attitude and mentality I've ever seen in a young player who came through our system. 

Not surprised at all that the Luton fans think he's braw, he's had a great season there.

Campbell doesn't have anything like the technical ability of Turnbull but I don't think I've ever seen anyone work harder to improve themselves. I fucking love wee Al. 

20 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

His attitude and mentality were absolutely brilliant from day one.

I must admit, I was one of the people who wondered if being a very good Motherwell player was perhaps his ceiling and whether if he went down to the championship he would just end up in a pool of centre mids whose best attributes were physical rather than technical, but I'm more than happy to have been proved wrong. 

No one deserves the plaudits more.

The thing with Campbell is that I think he has a good sense of what he is as a footballer. And I mean that 100% as a compliment.

He's chosen to move to a club that suits his skillset and he has a manager who understands what that skillset is and the team plays to his strengths. He's went down to Luton and even after picking up an injury pretty early on he's got his opportunity and made himself indispensable to the team - much like he was with us he's a key part of how they play.

After the season he seems to have had, even if they're not promoted, his value will have increased by multiples along with his profile having grown exponentially.

I mean, there's probably another timeline in the multiverse where he chooses to move to a Stoke or whatever where there's not the same investment in him, he doesn't get the same opportunities and just finds himself in the margins along with a pile of landfill midfielders.

I know he's pretty well liked at Preston but I guess there's a comparison to be made between Campbell and Ali McCann who seems to have been in and out the team possibly as a result of them changing manager mid-season. He's started 16, subbed on 12, unused sub 10 compared with Campbell's record of 31 starts, 2 subs, unused sub 7.

Incidentally, I noticed that there was a Motherwell fan (not me) dropped in to Luton's forum and in among the threads of spicy political takes had posted about Campbell, basically the gist of a lot of the responses is that they're not as good a team if he's not playing. 

https://members.boardhost.com/lutonoutlaws/thread/1651968749.html

Edited by capt_oats

I'm buzzing for Campbell but still slightly baffled at how well he's done. I think Slattery has been an upgrade when he's played tbh so its a deal where everyone involved has came out pretty well, and nobody has moved Ohio to contravene FIFA registration rules.

26 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I went to watch Luton vs Fulham on sky the other week and Campbell got injured in the warm up. Luton lost 7-0.

Did the exact same but I wasn't paying attention and put it off at 2 or 3 nil

7 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

I really couldn't understand people questioning the validity of the penalty in the first place 😂

I mean, from the camera angles on the MFC TV stream and the Sportscene and SPFL highlights I'll admit that it looked a bit soft but very much a "seen them given" situation. In fact, it looked somewhere in between the penalty O'Hara gave away against us on Kipré in the 1-1 with Dundee and the brush of the foot against Cadden in the 2-2 at Dens.

The angle from MFC shows he's pretty clearly booted which you didn't really get from the broadcast footage.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

The club are really risking it all for that European football Season Ticket release on Thursday/Friday morning.

I’d of had the emails sent out the second that final whistle went on Saturday.