Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

27 minutes ago, CoF said:

We managed to put a slight dampener on Rangers last day title party by scoring twice in the last 5 minutes to make it 3-3. 

There's always a chance. 

Fairly sure we got a really dodgy penalty that day as well. At Ibrox. I mentioned it in a Best Man’s speech I did once because I think I still can’t believe it actually happened. 

Edit: I can see this has already been covered. 

Edited by Swami

30 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

A controversial penalty too that day

14 minutes ago, Swami said:

Fairly sure we got a really dodgy penalty that day as well. At Ibrox. I mentioned it in a Best Man’s speech I did once because I think I still can’t believe it actually happened. 

Edit: I can see this has already been covered. 

Yep, Jamie Murphy brushed by a feather and hitting the deck . That made it all the sweeter. 

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

Genuinely one of the most outrageous dives you'll ever see.

Charlie Adam: ...... "Hold ma pint"

He really has had a shitty 2022, nicked, shitty dive, Mutley as a gaffer and icing on the cake his assist yesterday. At least with restrictions easing he can get back to the dentist.

See to be fair (and I might have my heavy duty claret and amber specs on here), there's no contact but Murphy had to move out the way to avoid being clattered. It's not that unusual for that to be given as a foul. 

Just in from the game and the fact that the shonkiest juggernaut in the Top 6 is still on the road should be something we should all just drink in and enjoy. The very idea that 4th is still a remote possibility is mental.

Thought the atmosphere in the away end was top notch yesterday - it always feels totally out of place in County's polite village football team vibe - and the local  stewards and police were visibly aroused at having that to deal with.

As it's been so long, I'd basically forgotten what it's like holding onto a 1-0 lead, I was shiting myself every time they went up. 

It might be sun going to my head but I quite fancy us to beat Hearts on Wednesday - I can think of a few end of season midweek games that turned out alright and I think this will be one of them.

46 minutes ago, Swello said:

It might be sun going to my head but I quite fancy us to beat Hearts on Wednesday - I can think of a few end of season midweek games that turned out alright and I think this will be one of them.

It does feel like as a club we do pretty well out of the post-split fixtures. There's obviously been years we've finished 6th or 9th or whatever, but the season's been effectively over after 33 games. When we go into the last 5 still in some sort of race to avoid relegation/finish in Europe we generally seem to get shit done. Though I suppose ending up in the playoffs in 14/15 was technically a failure, but gets overshadowed by how much of a laugh they turned out to be.

Rangers and Celtic to win their games midweek because effectively these games are still live, Celtic to win the league in style and Rangers to ensure it’s not handed to them in the event of a slip up.  Then County and United to play out a 0-0 bore because they are actually as bad as us.

This would mean Europe even with two defeats in our last two games.  We may have done enough, and this would be in keeping with our achievements this season.  Lose our way to Europe.

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Rangers and Celtic to win their games midweek because effectively these games are still live, Celtic to win the league in style and Rangers to ensure it’s not handed to them in the event of a slip up.  Then County and United to play out a 0-0 bore because they are actually as bad as us.

This would mean Europe even with two defeats in our last two games.  We may have done enough, and this would be in keeping with our achievements this season.  Lose our way to Europe.

That sounds lovely but as blunt as County might be, I just can't see them not winning at home on the last day if United have nothing to play for.

The opposition having less motivation than you is a bit of a leveller when they're better but between two sides of the same middling non-ability I imagine it will be a fairly decisive factor.

For me it's all or nothing on Wednesday.

19 minutes ago, ropy said:

Tbf, this season hasn't been so bad for losses.  The biggest difference this season is the draws.  It's like only the 5th time we have hit double figures in draws since turn of century.  

Edited by Antiochas III