Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Were we not at Parkhead on the last day of the season a few years ago for their ‘title party’ and they absolutely bodied us about 6-0?
Fair enough we had zero to play for that day and the players were already on the beach but I reckon there is zero chance we take anything than a scudding on the final day.

Edit: just checked, it was actually 7-0.

7-0, with a 16 year old scoring against us.
Tbf McGhee was too busy joining in with the celebrations to manage a team that day.

6 minutes ago, dezz said:

Were we not at Parkhead on the last day of the season a few years ago for their ‘title party’ and they absolutely bodied us about 6-0?
Fair enough we had zero to play for that day and the players were already on the beach but I reckon there is zero chance we take anything than a scudding on the final day.

7-0

We couldn't finish any higher or lower than 5th so we literally had nothing to play for other than being obliged to turn up and put bodies on the park. This thread started just after that game.

Spoiler
Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, fair play, win, lose or draw the sheer volume of piss that's boiled by an Alexander side is unrivalled. I see that's the reply guys on the TL have moved on from "1 win in 15" to "2 wins in 16 is unacceptable #timeforchange".

Given the circumstances in terms of illness, players having not trained and all that it was a "must win" game, we hadn't won (or kept a clean sheet) away from home since November and we...won (and kept a clean sheet) so it feels a bit churlish to get bent out of shape about tactics yesterday.

Sure, it's part of a broader conversation about the season in general but it shouldn't really be the main takeaway from yesterday (IMO).

2 wins, 1 draw in last 5... far more inportant than whatever the f**k we did 11 games prior (of which, there were close to just as many draws as losses)...  

Taking points of more than 50% of our games, being better than clubs we have no financial right to be better than in Aberdeen and Hibs (again).  

Not that it matters now, but was thinking yesterday, admin season aside, have we ever went the entirety of the second half of a season without picking up 3pts away from home?

7 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Not that it matters now, but was thinking yesterday, admin season aside, have we ever went the entirety of the second half of a season without picking up 3pts away from home?

1997/98 we didn’t win away from home after the turn of the year. 

Form “wee” team in the league, away from home, with loads of players I’m told who should have been in bed (Kelly and KVV being two of the most affected).

You’d have bitten someone’s hand off at 2pm yesterday based on all of this.

I’m sure the first post in this thread mentions that score. Worst thing about this thread.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I said elsewhere, Parkhead on the last day in the sunshine is set up for a seven goal defeat with kids making their debuts and goals by the U18 starlets, we’ve seen it all before.  We need to focus on Wednesday and get what we can out of that.

I will put a few Bob on Celtic -2 or -3. That is how much faith I have in us not conceding anything less than 4 goals next weekend. 

It is ALL about Wed evening. We probably need to win and not have Rangers mess up at Ibrox v County. I would rather not go into last game hoping United win or draw away at County. I could see a 92 minute winner for Jordan White. 

Even a point is of little use on Wed as we will probably be 3 points ahead with inferior goal difference to County. Unless Rangers scud them by 5 or 6. Imagine going to Parkhead and hoping to lose only by 1 or 2 goals. 

Nah - A win on Wed and I think that will be enough. Any other result and we will probably miss out. United will have Qualified and County probably cannot pip them to 4th. So other than professional pride and a win bonus their would be little for United to play for. 

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Regardless of Wednesday’s results we go into the last game of the season with an opportunity of Europe.  Successful season?

I’d say so. 

I think cause it was the Covid season, people have tried their hardest to forget last year or pretend it didn’t happen. However we were an absolute gang, a squad filled with utter charlatans who showed a fair amount of disdain and disrespect for the football club.

Seeing Gallagher floundering below us down in 10th while the likes of Lawless, Long and Polworth have all been relegated this season should be a reminder of what he walked into. One thing I think Alexander has done a good job of is getting rid of that poisonous element in the dressing room. 

This lot may lack quality, especially since Watt left but they clearly have a decent attitude, there’s a togetherness and a bit of fight about them. They seldom give in and the number of times they’ve fought back recently proves that. So does winning a crucial must win game in Dingwall yesterday with only about a dozen fit senior players. 

This was a rebuild season for me, top six with the possibility of Europe is probably beyond what I was expecting. Next season in my opinion, I’m now looking for Alexander to take the next step. Add some quality and progress the style of football to something a bit more pleasing on the eye, especially at Fir Park. 

This was the part Robinson struggled with at the end of his first season and  unfortunately for Alexander, he has neither the goodwill of the support or the luxury of a David Turnbull to bail him out if he gets it wrong. 

I’m sure the first post in this thread mentions that score. Worst thing about this thread.

It’s not even the worst part of the post.

It says we offered Craig Samson a new deal [emoji85]

3 hours ago, dezz said:

I really enjoyed a solero that day. 

3 hours ago, dezz said:

We managed to put a slight dampener on Rangers last day title party by scoring twice in the last 5 minutes to make it 3-3. 

There's always a chance. 

17 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd much rather just beat Hearts obv, but I'd find it very funny if United and County go into the last day needing a 0-0 each and we somehow go 1-0 up at Parkhead. 

That would indeed be hilarious for the 15 minutes before we lose 4-1!

We managed to put a slight dampener on Rangers last day title party by scoring twice in the last 5 minutes to make it 3-3. 
There's always a chance. 

A controversial penalty too that day