Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Great result today. One I simply never saw coming. 

Still feel we will need to beat Hearts on Wed. If we do that we may even finish 4th depending on other results. 

Despite losing 4-1 I was very impressed with Hearts especially 1st half v Celtic. It will be a tough ask to get a point let alone 3. I also suspect Hearts will not want to go into cup game on losing streak. Still it is now in our hands. 

I am on holiday next week. Last time I did same. Booking vacation before post split fixtures the home match I missed was the 6-6 v Hibs 🙈

I suspect it will come down to the last day and we will need United to do us a favour. Again I hope I am wrong. Like I was about today. 

One thing I massively enjoyed today was how fired up SOD was. There's been a lot of criticism at times about players not showing enough passion, but it was pleasing to see him getting stuck right into Charles-Cook down the wing, and later absolutely bodying his own teammates out the way to clear from a corner.

Haha aye that was great when he made a good defensive header then threw Cornelius to the ground and bodied Kelly out the way so he could get to the loose ball. Thought SOD was pretty good up against RCC today, especially given how long he’s been out for.
Lamie was (again) really solid defensively as well. It’s been spoken about a lot on here, but I’d genuinely be pretty happy to see him stick around once Dundee are confirmed as doon.

Just watched the highlights.

Our penalty can be best described as a St Mirren penalty. As in never one. 

All that said I still feel their one at Fir Park was at best 50/50. And certainly one that no referee could call with absolute certainty. 

It's our cup final so we better be feckin up for it.

Forget the negativity of the last 4 months for one night and concentrate on supporting the team for this one game.

We can argue about Alexander on the Thursday.

Huge 3 points yesterday. Probably deserved more from the Dundee Utd game than yesterday but we set up and played a different way so it's hard to really compare directly.

Was one of those penalties that can go either way - much like a lot we've conceded ourselves and felt undone by.  These things all 'balance out' we are constantly told. So there you have it.

Great win, especially considering we couldn't start Bevis, Sondre, KVV or Slattery. That's 4 pretty important players who have about 120 odd appearances between them this year...and shouldn't be overlooked on a number of aspects.

Edited by eliphas

12 hours ago, fat_tony said:

One thing I massively enjoyed today was how fired up SOD was. There's been a lot of criticism at times about players not showing enough passion, but it was pleasing to see him getting stuck right into Charles-Cook down the wing, and later absolutely bodying his own teammates out the way to clear from a corner.

Yep, I thought he was very good yesterday.

I'd almost forgotten what it felt like to properly look forward to a game - can't wait for the hearts game. Hopefully the enthusiasm hasn't been completely killed off and we see a decent turn out. 

I reckon a point against Hearts will be enough for 5th. But 3 would be marvellous thanks.

Also, hopefully we don't need to, but argument to be made that getting Celtic on the last day when they've already won the league, have nothing else to play for, might be a decent place to be. 

Albeit they will want to go out on a high etc but players rested and bit part players getting a go, after a long season, full on holiday mode is a distinct possibility.

I mean, fair play, win, lose or draw the sheer volume of piss that's boiled by an Alexander side is unrivalled. I see that's the reply guys on the TL have moved on from "1 win in 15" to "2 wins in 16 is unacceptable #timeforchange".

Given the circumstances in terms of illness, players having not trained and all that it was a "must win" game, we hadn't won (or kept a clean sheet) away from home since November and we...won (and kept a clean sheet) so it feels a bit churlish to get bent out of shape about tactics yesterday.

Sure, it's part of a broader conversation about the season in general but it shouldn't really be the main takeaway from yesterday (IMO).

22 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I reckon a point against Hearts will be enough for 5th. But 3 would be marvellous thanks.

Also, hopefully we don't need to, but argument to be made that getting Celtic on the last day when they've already won the league, have nothing else to play for, might be a decent place to be. 

Albeit they will want to go out on a high etc but players rested and bit part players getting a go, after a long season, full on holiday mode is a distinct possibility.

I said elsewhere, Parkhead on the last day in the sunshine is set up for a seven goal defeat with kids making their debuts and goals by the U18 starlets, we’ve seen it all before.  We need to focus on Wednesday and get what we can out of that.

Were we not at Parkhead on the last day of the season a few years ago for their ‘title party’ and they absolutely bodied us about 6-0?
Fair enough we had zero to play for that day and the players were already on the beach but I reckon there is zero chance we take anything than a scudding on the final day.

Edit: just checked, it was actually 7-0.