Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There's an extra place if the European tournament winner hasn't qualified domestically for the next season. Otherwise not.

Should Frankfurt win the EL, Germany will have eight clubs in Europe next season (5-2-1).

Interestingly, should Frankfurt have finished in a Bundesliga Europa/Conference League spot and won the Europa League, they would go into the Champions League and the Europa/Conference League spot wouldn't be passed down to the next places team.

There's an excellent explainer here should you want to fire it into Google: https://www.sportschau.de/fussball/bundesliga/bundesliga-dfb-pokal-europa-league-champions-league-europa-conference-league-war-wann-wo-spielt-100.html

55 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I’m sure there was a season Man Utd finished outside the top four and won the Europa League and got the last champions league place for England at the expense of the team that finished fourth, so I don’t think there are extra places. 

I am sure that was while they were working it out. I mind there was also a year Liverpool I think won the Champions league and there was a fuss about them not getting to defend it.

Think they have since put provisions in place for teams winning these things in all scenarios.

Fully expect Rangers to rest key players over next week v United and County. Whether that makes a difference in the actual results we shall see. I think both games are at Ibrox so hopefully they will have enough with home crowd. 

Of course none of that really matters if we do not pick up a minimum 4 points from next two games. If we were to get 6 I would be confident of at least 5th. I still believe we need to beat County tomorrow for us to realistically have a chance of qualification. 

I saw a post on SO saying that a number of players have had illness this week and not trained. Sounds like perfect preparation 🤷‍♂️. As long as GA does not say this game does not define our season again. Because it sure a hell does for most of us. Top 6 was a decent effort but to not win another game over next (realistically) two games would bring the curtain down on a shite end to the season. 

I am hoping for a surprise tomorrow at 5pm. I don’t expect one as our defence is powder puff. I am otherwise engaged until 5pm (on purpose) as I don’t think I can watch or listen to the game. 

39 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That 92-94 away shirt went up on CFS btw...

£249 is a bit rich for me.

861168117_ScreenShot2022-05-06at11_57_54.thumb.png.55832b5b13828fe2c7879ed7614387ae.png

I have no recollection of Burley, strange.

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Fully expect Rangers to rest key players over next week v United and County. Whether that makes a difference in the actual results we shall see. I think both games are at Ibrox so hopefully they will have enough with home crowd. 

Of course none of that really matters if we do not pick up a minimum 4 points from next two games. If we were to get 6 I would be confident of at least 5th. I still believe we need to beat County tomorrow for us to realistically have a chance of qualification. 

I saw a post on SO saying that a number of players have had illness this week and not trained. Sounds like perfect preparation 🤷‍♂️. As long as GA does not say this game does not define our season again. Because it sure a hell does for most of us. Top 6 was a decent effort but to not win another game over next (realistically) two games would bring the curtain down on a shite end to the season. 

I am hoping for a surprise tomorrow at 5pm. I don’t expect one as our defence is powder puff. I am otherwise engaged until 5pm (on purpose) as I don’t think I can watch or listen to the game. 

I think United have a great chance tomorrow but on the basis Rangers will be playing their entire reserves v Hearts, I could see them putting out a side strong enough to deal with County at home in between. They won't want to go two weeks without a solid performance or go into the final on three poor results.

So the equation for me likely remains win the next two and we're in Europe, don't win the next two and we're crossing our fingers for Montrose away in the LC.

As for GA's comments, 1) there is absolutely no reason to believe him, 2) even if he is telling the truth when you've won 1 in 15 there are only a couple of players you're worried about. So long as Kelly, Tierney and KVV are fit (and picked!), we can happily bring back the tombola machine for the rest for all the difference it will likely make.

13 hours ago, KebabMuncher1886 said:

If Rangers win the Europa League how will this effect our chances of Europe? will 6th gain an extra spot as Rangers qualify directly for the champions league? will Hearts now gain the champions league qualifiers and Dundee United the Europa League group stage leaving the other 2 conference spots for 5th and 6th or am I being silly?

Rangers winning the Europa makes no difference to anyone else in Scotland. 4th still goes into the 3rd qualifying round and 5th goes into the 2nd qualifying round. The Scottish team will be seeded in the 2nd qualifying round but probably unseeded in the 3rd.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye he had 2 stints.

The 2nd, when that shirt was on the go, he only played a handful of games.

1228857985_ScreenShot2022-05-06at12_49_33.thumb.png.f84f1edc446475fab927291d230eed09.png

Aye I had a look too, but I was 10-11 around then and it was that period where I could mind almost all but have no recollection of that. I'd have had a chat about reading about signings in the paper with ma da etc.

Nothing.

Always thought Burley would be a good appointment for us managerially but there was probably never a window where that was realistic. His stock was always too high for us until the point he went off the rails to the extent where we wouldn't touch him.

53 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Also,  thank f**k the Conference League wasn't around when we finished 3rd a few years back. Imagine rocking up to the Group Stages with Seedorf and Robbie Crawford ffs

I fact, if you go back even further, if today's champions league 3rd Qualifying round rules applied, we would have went straight into the Europa Group stage after the panithanikos game. Now that would have been a memorable season.

3 hours ago, Buckets said:

Rangers winning the Europa makes no difference to anyone else in Scotland. 4th still goes into the 3rd qualifying round and 5th goes into the 2nd qualifying round. The Scottish team will be seeded in the 2nd qualifying round but probably unseeded in the 3rd.

All the more reason to hope they get absolutely fucked in the final then. The outpouring of good wishes towards them since last night has been giving me the boke. 

6 minutes ago, Swami said:

All the more reason to hope they get absolutely fucked in the final then. The outpouring of good wishes towards them since last night has been giving me the boke. 

Aye, absolutely zero good wishes from me.

f**k them.

Also,  thank f**k the Conference League wasn't around when we finished 3rd a few years back. Imagine rocking up to the Group Stages with Seedorf and Robbie Crawford ffs

Bear in mind this is probably the worst thought I’ve ever had in my life but after watching Hylton and Seedorf tear up the league cup group stages, I had a genuine “we can challenge the OF for the league” moment.

We did finish 3rd that season tbf.

21 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Bear in mind this is probably the worst thought I’ve ever had in my life but after watching Hylton and Seedorf tear up the league cup group stages, I had a genuine “we can challenge the OF for the league” moment.

We did finish 3rd that season tbf.

No wonder you got your excuses in before revealing that thought.

No wonder you got your excuses in before revealing that thought.

It was a brief thought and involved the consumption of a lot of alcohol but I can genuinely remember saying to my mates that we looked a comfortable team on the ball and could challenge them.

As Robbo pointed out at the time, we could’ve caught Rangers if it wasn’t for the season being called early.

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Good lad.

Absolutely disgraceful my main man Nirrenold has been overlooked again. 

In all seriousness Tierney should not be out the team for any reason at this point. He's class and almost looks like he's got a clue how to play football.