Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

We are destined to succeed despite ourselves. If we chuck the next three games, Rangers will win the Europa and we'll get an extra place (not sure that's a thing, but I think it will happen anyway).

We're too big to fail.

18 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Less chance of Accies turning us over now I guess. Some Teuchter away days would be a nice consolation to missing out on Europe, though I'd still rather be reading up on the 6th best team in Montenegro. 

It’s Mornar’s place to lose

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

One thing about the club is consistent at least - in the midst of a shite run, these trite wee statements still have the power to turn me into a seething mess.

Never sure whether these things are geared towards positivity and optimism, or if they deliberately aim for a sliding scale which starts from a high of extreme seethe, and descends to rage induced mental breakdown. 

44 minutes ago, Swello said:
One thing about the club is consistent at least - in the midst of a shite run, these trite wee statements still have the power to turn me into a seething mess.

I mean, it's at the point now where I almost respect their commitment to the bit.

Heads combusting all over the place in the mentions.

Edited by capt_oats

Ach, I'm finding the critical dissection of McCall's time with us a little hard to take. My memory of the McCall era will always be nothing but positive- I've somehow even managed to block out how Albion Rovers and the Rangers league cup game - that goal up in Aberdeen blanks it all out for a start. If we're delving into detail, here's some records and achievements of his I posted on SO in 2014:-

Scottish Cup Runner Up - 2011

3rd place - 2011/12

2nd place 2012/13

2nd place 2013/14

Records

Most top flight points in a season (post war) season 2011/2012

Most top flight points in a season (post war) season 2012/2013

Longest top flight win streak since 1937

Highest top flight win ratio (44% after 140 games) (is this correct?)

Manager of the year 2012/13

Manager of the month

July 2011

August 2011

October 2011

April 2013

Mullet of the year(Winner by default 3 years in running)

Players achievements under Mccall

SPL top scorer 2012/13 - Michael Higdon

SPL Player of the year 2012/13 - Michael Higdon

Player of the month

October 2011 Keith Lasley

September 2012 Michael Higdon

December 2012 Jamie Murphy

March 2013 Nicky Law

April 2013 Michael Higdon

Young player of the month

April 2010 Jamie Murphy

January 2012 Henrik Ojamaa

April 2013 Shaun Hutchinson

I don't care about all the caveats and how big a budget we had and how every other team was shite. I loved that time and still think Craig Reid deserves a big statue outside Fir Park (either him or one of John Sutton absolutely clattering Jamie Langfield). 

I think McCall was fortunate he inherited a team with Randolph, Hammell, Hateley, Hutchinson, Craigan, Jennings, Lasley, Murphy, Humphrey and Sutton. That was certainly a decent start.

I also think he was fortunate that he didn’t suffer any long term injuries that adversely affected his starting XI that I can recall. (No disrespect to Steven Saunders).

However, you really can’t ignore that he got us 3rd, 2nd and 2nd and gave me the best Motherwell team to watch that I’ve ever seen. 

I think he created a good atmosphere that players liked playing under and had the resource to sign good players. I don’t think it was a coincidence when Sutton’s partner up front went from either Faddy or Anier to a non-league right back that he started to suffer.

I think inheriting a squad of decent players and making it enjoyable environment is style. Kind of the opposite from Robinson, his style seems to be solving a crisis (be it someone else’s or one he’s made for himself). 

What I would say has changed most since then, is probably the drop off in quality between the starting eleven and the bench. Since then, we’ve had squads filled with average players with not much between them, yet under McCall we finished high up the league with a great starting eleven with a bench of Hollis, Daley and 5 youths half of the time.

10 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

“After the break Hugh Keevins will be here with the sports news …. Stay tuned ….

Are you looking for ceramic tiles? Glasgow's biggest showroom is in Hillington, P&B Tiles, two four two, six two double five, open 7 days 8 till late, two four two, six two double five” 

Nice, well done mate. 👍

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Hughes asked Rovers to release him (as he was about to fucking take them down) and they refused to let him go for free, is the story.

Now, John Hughes talks shite,  but that feels like the biggest sliding doors moment in our recent history, for me.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, it's at the point now where I almost respect their commitment to the bit.

Heads combusting all over the place in the mentions.

They could solve the energy crisis by harnessing the power generated off the unfathomable amount of piss these videos boil.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Aye they fucking annoy me.

14 minutes ago, Desp said:

12 years to the day since I, and approximately 63% of the East Stand, ended up in Jack Daniels after it went 2-6...

It's good we can talk about it now.