Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Fwiw I couldn’t stand Alexander even back when we were fluking a few wins. Marks you out as a right miserable b*****d though to moan when the team is seen to be doing ‘well’. 

Oh f**k right off. This time yesterday you were accusing me of being a Alexander sycophant. Now according to you I find fault with his management when we're winning.

Back at the start of the season it didn't take anyone with any particular insight to see our performances and points tally were unsustainable. Many were happy to go along with "it'll be a laugh" which I'm more than happy to do on occasion. Left FP many a time over the years thinking we absolutely gerrymandered/rigged/Dick Turpin'd a result. But to try it for a whole 38 game season would be unsustainable.

I didn't think it would go on as long and I didn't predict the shitshow since Xmas, I thought it would have happened sooner. But a lot of that also depended on the 2 underperforming "big" spenders in the league in Aberdeen and Hibs not going to shit too.

We were definitely were overperforming in terms of points vs results earlier in the season- but I think we've regressed below the mean now, if that makes sense,  i.e. we've been unlucky pretty fucking often since Christmas. I don't agree with Alexander that we were "excellent" yesterday, but it is one of a few occasions this year where we've been the better team and came away with a point or 0. 

We weren’t easy on the eye in the second half of last season when Alexander initially took over,  but it wasn't all smash and grab and I think most of the time deserved to win the games we did. I wouldn't shed any tears if he wasn't here next season,  but if he is I still think there's enough evidence to suggest he'll probably keep us between 5th-8th over 38 games.

40 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Fwiw I couldn’t stand Alexander even back when we were fluking a few wins. Marks you out as a right miserable b*****d though to moan when the team is seen to be doing ‘well’. 

16 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Oh f**k right off. This time yesterday you were accusing me of being a Alexander sycophant. Now according to you I find fault with his management when we're winning.

I think you've picked him up wrongly....when he says "you", I don't think he's literally meaning you......he's saying the fact that it makes you come across badly to moan when the team is doing well, is the reason he didn't moan.

4 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

If I have then I apologise. Just getting a bit heat for taking a moderate view, you tend to have your heckles up.

Haha aye was referring to me moaning if we were winning making me a miserable sod. 

Quick question for Motherwell fans just intrigued to find out about James Scott! Genuinely think he’s the worst player I have seen when following hibs for almost 30 years! How on earth did you get that money for him? 

9 minutes ago, Sauzee04 said:

Quick question for Motherwell fans just intrigued to find out about James Scott! Genuinely think he’s the worst player I have seen when following hibs for almost 30 years! How on earth did you get that money for him? 

Momentum and marketing. 

15 minutes ago, Sauzee04 said:

Big parallels between him and Erwin, and to a lesser extent Hastie from Scott, IMO.

Got to the first team, looked really good in flashes, got a move and floundered. Perhaps a bit unfair but certainly Erwin and Scott give the impression they enjoy the accoutrements of being footballers, without actually being that arsed about getting better at being footballers.

Turnbull and Campbell, of Scott's generation feel like they'll be rolling sleeves up and digging in until they retire, and however far they get is fortune or timing, Scott and Erwin feel like they've gone as far as they'll go almost immediately.

That said, Scott's best work as a Motherwell player was wide and high on the right as a way to terror small full-backs, and struggled when played through the middle, and my impression is that Hibs think he's a #9, and he's still getting bullied off big centre-halfs.

30 minutes ago, Sauzee04 said:

I went to the same high school as him. Saw him score 5 goals in 1 game for Rosebank shortly before he got picked up by Motherwell. You could always tell he had a little bit about him that the others just didn’t have.

As for his time at Motherwell. Great when playing St Mirren, likes to wind up Celtic despite being a Celtic fan himself and made the club a lot of money in moving down south. Seen plenty worse at Fir Park. 

Edited by ZX1886

7 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Big parallels between him and Erwin, and to a lesser extent Hastie from Scott, IMO.

Got to the first team, looked really good in flashes, got a move and floundered. Perhaps a bit unfair but certainly Erwin and Scott give the impression they enjoy the accoutrements of being footballers, without actually being that arsed about getting better at being footballers.

Turnbull and Campbell, of Scott's generation feel like they'll be rolling sleeves up and digging in until they retire, and however far they get is fortune or timing, Scott and Erwin feel like they've gone as far as they'll go almost immediately.

That said, Scott's best work as a Motherwell player was wide and high on the right as a way to terror small full-backs, and struggled when played through the middle, and my impression is that Hibs think he's a #9, and he's still getting bullied off big centre-halfs.

It’s not as if he’s getting bullied he just goes into any challenge with the heart of a pigeon. I have yet to see him do anything of note. When he runs at players it’s done at a snails pace and he gets tackled. He did have a great chance at weekend but bottled heading the ball too. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing non league football in a couple years.

At the time I was disappointed to see both Hastie and Scott depart ML1.  Even for the money on offer. A combined £1.5m or thereabouts.

Not saying that I am anywhere near to being as analytic as a Chief scout or Head of Recruitment etc.  But both of them were showing tremendous promise and certainly in the case of Scott I remember getting worked up that we only got £1m and Hull sold Bowen to West Ham for around £20m.  In the case of the latter that actually looks like a bargain now.

You could make an argument that both Hull and Rangers should have waited to see if that few weeks or months worth of potential would be sustainable.  Of course then you risk another club swooping. Conversely I still think Turnbull was a bargain at £3m.  Premiership clubs (other than Norwich) possibly thought he was going to be a flash in the pan.  But as highlighted above his attitude is bang on and when you marry that up with his undoubted talent then if he can avoid injury he will have a very good career at Celtic and/or elsewhere.

36 minutes ago, Sauzee04 said:

Basically everything @thisGRAEME said.

We got the money for him because there was a ton of potential with him that we saw in flashes.

I'd also say that there's probably a bit of context, after he left us he picked up an injury that required surgery in his first training session at Hull. Then the pandemic happened. After the Championship restarted Hull had sold Bowen to West Ham and a bunch of their players chose not to sign interim deals, the upshot was they slipped from mid-table to being relegated.

Everything about the move just seems to have stalled his career and as @thisGRAEME says, where Campbell and Turnbull are rolling up their sleeves and making the most of the opportunity it feels like the combination of getting money, moving south and the enforced break when he moved hasn't done anything for him.

As I said yesterday a mutual agreement probably sits quite well from both parties POV.

For Alexander he kept us up last season, reached two Scottish Cup QFs and got us Top 6. By any measure you'd say that's successful, in terms of the 2022 form when he interviews for whatever his next job is he can point to losing the league's top scorer (at the time) in January.

It'd also make him available just at the point where jobs will be coming up in England.

From the club's POV one league win in 15 doesn't seem like a harsh sacking. They can point to the form and say that they felt that a fresh pair of eyes was in everyone's best interests going forward.

With Top 6 we're not flirting with relegation and also don't have our usual massive squad overhaul for the summer so we'd be interviewing from a relatively stable position and all things considered, 2022 form aside, it's a relatively attractive job.

A conscious uncoupling also probably plays well in terms of the ST stuff.

The only real issue is the fact Alexander signed an extension to 2025 in January which I'm sure would sting a bit but in the grand scheme of things could probably be managed - especially off the back of a £3.5m profit from the last financial year. The fact we've brought in a lot of his people in support roles is a bit awkward as well.

Still be surprised if it happened like...

Would be curious to see who might be in the frame given the circumstances and also the fact we have a fairly clear profile we aim for.