Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

28 minutes ago, ropy said:

By then there should be a PPV option for me to watch the game as a hologram played out in my sitting room.

And we'll still be waiting on Joe Efford to do something of note. You'd be advised to secure all your valuables, as he'll probably still be here running down blind alleys, and even in hologram form I wouldn't put it past him for his biggest contribution to be knocking a lamp off the table.

The Dundee and Livi games at the end of that season were a brilliant laugh, right up there with the 4-3 against Partick from a few years before.
Me and my mate talk about the Turnbull (non)penalty decision on a fairly regular basis given it was absolutely insane. A goal kick was essentially the least likely of all the potential outcomes from that incident but that’s what we got.
It’s making me sad thinking about fun Motherwell though

Turnbull deciding in a split second to purposefully play the ball off the guys arm is one of the quickest and cleverest things I've seen in a game of football. Guy just thinks on a different level to anyone else that's played for us.

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

Turnbull deciding in a split second to purposefully play the ball off the guys arm is one of the quickest and cleverest things I've seen in a game of football. Guy just thinks on a different level to anyone else that's played for us.

I don't know about that, Hastie convinced Stevie G to shell out £1.4m in combined compo and salary.

Genius

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Was it?  Everyman and his dog wanted Robbo to get to f**k at Christmas.  

Aye, I wondered if I was being whooshed there.

That was the season we drew with Stranraer (lost the penalties) and scraped past Clyde in the Betfred, signed Conor Sammon, sold Kipré, won 1 of our opening 9 and even with Turnbull in the team were 9th at the winter break.

Even Robinson came out in the press saying we were murder to watch.

The nadir was probably getting bodied out the SC by Ross County...

There was plenty of angst that season. Then fun Motherwell happened and everything was fine.

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Starting to wonder if Thunderdome Motherwell was the perfect storm for Robinson because he's looking guff at St Mirren.

Aye. I posted in the St Mirren thread the other day, it's kind of weird from the outside looking in because, results aside, a lot of the stuff he's taking heat for (comments in the press, man management etc) sound exactly like the things he did at Motherwell but the St Mirren fans just aren't going for it...at all.

As a fanbase they seem very different to Motherwell fans.

You can say a lot of things about his time here but I don't think he'd have been described as "arrogant" or whatever, which seems to be how Saints fans are taking him (along with being furious about being "not Jim Goodwin"). In fact, the way he handled the press was probably one of his strong points with us.

When you think about it, when he got the Motherwell job he had been at the club between 2015-17 as assistant, he knew the club, knew the bulk of the squad and once he dug us out the hole we'd found ourselves in was given carte blanche to rebuild the squad as he saw fit. As you say it was probably a perfect storm for him as he was replacing McGhee who wasn't a particularly popular appointment (despite having done a very good job when he was parachuted in to replace Bara).

It kind of feels like the fact he's been headhunted by St Mirren and they've dropped £100k to get him there has seen him go in to the job thinking he's bulletproof and it's not really going well for him.

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Starting to wonder if Thunderdome Motherwell was the perfect storm for Robinson because he's looking guff at St Mirren.

I think when you look back on the "good" Motherwell teams in the past - although a lot is made about style of play - it really seems to be linked to having exceptional individual players (pick any of those teams and you can rhyme them off) - and Robinson had some of those in his time with us. He might not have that at St Mirren right now (and I would similarly argue that Alexander is in the same boat, especially since Watt left).

4 hours ago, Antiochas III said:
Was it?  Everyman and his dog wanted Robbo to get to f**k at Christmas.  

Maybe it’s just with how raging I’ve been watching the last two and half seasons.

As for the Stranraer result, I was on holiday at the time so any anger from that went completely over my head.

Our colts giving County a game with 10 men only for them to body us out the cup a couple months later was admittedly a low but then we got a couple months of Turnbull, Campbell and that other one.

Edited by ZX1886

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I think when you look back on the "good" Motherwell teams in the past - although a lot is made about style of play - it really seems to be linked to having exceptional individual players (pick any of those teams and you can rhyme them off) - and Robinson had some of those in his time with us. He might not have that at St Mirren right now (and I would similarly argue that Alexander is in the same boat, especially since Watt left).

100% agree.

On the point about Watt, related to the discussion in the United match thread about whether it was a "mistake" for him to leave (spoiler: it wasn't for him) it made me think about how that sits in hindsight given one of the "cons" arguments was that his leaving could cost us a Top 6 spot.

Clearly no one would have imagined we'd have only won 1 league game since the turn of the year and I very much doubt that Tony Watt being on the park would have stopped SODs getting caught out against Dundee or Bevis launching himself into a tackle in the 1st minute of the Hibs Cup tie or stopped Kelly literally chucking the ball in the net at the weekend but seeing as we managed to confirm Top 6 (albeit by the skin or our teeth) and banked 6 figures for a player agitating to move having signed a PCA with 6 months left of his deal;

Did it actually work out OK in the end? Aside from the obvious fact that we haven't been able to replace him on the park.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Did it actually work out OK in the end? Aside from the obvious fact that we haven't been able to replace him on the park.

It hasn't harmed us from reaching the target of avoiding relegation or making the Top 6 but if we also have a target to reach Europe, the jury is out.

On the other side, it's hard not to argue that Watt leaving in the manner that he did hasn't ripped the arse out of things a bit - the feel good stuff that accompanied us being allowed back to games has evaporated in 2022 along with our form going off a cliff and that may well matter a lot when the season ticket renewal letters start hitting doormats in the near future.

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

It hasn't harmed us from reaching the target of avoiding relegation or making the Top 6 but if we also have a target to reach Europe, the jury is out.

On the other side, it's hard not to argue that Watt leaving in the manner that he did hasn't ripped the arse out of things a bit - the feel good stuff that accompanied us being allowed back to games has evaporated in 2022 along with our form going off a cliff and that may well matter a lot when the season ticket renewal letters start hitting doormats in the near future.

To that point, I noticed that Burrows had indicated that he was hoping for a "full launch" in "the next 10 days"...12 days ago.

I mean, I guess the whole shitshow around the rescheduled Rangers game may have put a dent in those plans...

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

Fair assessment.

But I think all in all its very hard to judge.

GA has implied the alternative of having Watt play to his best for another six months wasn't there because of his attitude. Was he right? Who knows. If he was wrong then letting him go and seeing our form collapse seems a massive error. If he was right then 100k not to have him taking up space looking miserable was a good deal even if the fact we bollocksed replacing him makes that harder to accept.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

To that point, I noticed that Burrows had indicated that he was hoping for a "full launch" in "the next 10 days"...12 days ago.

I mean, I guess the whole shitshow around the rescheduled Rangers game may have put a dent in those plans...

I think the whole shitshow of the last four months can't be helping, I bet they've been good to go for yonks but keep thinking let's wait another week till there's a good mood for it!