Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

43 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Arguably we sacked Gannon for being a gobshite, tbf.

And there you have it...

Robinson - resigned (10th)
McGhee - sacked (10th)
Baraclough - sacked (10th)
McCall - resigned (11th)
Brown - resigned/Aberdeen (5th)
Gannon - sacked for being a gobshite (6th)

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

And there you have it...

Robinson - resigned (10th)
McGhee - sacked (10th)
Baraclough - sacked (10th)
McCall - resigned (11th)
Brown - resigned/Aberdeen (5th)
Gannon - sacked for being a gobshite (6th)

This should be a clue on the next series of Only Connect.

12 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'll freely admit that as of the point that big Ricki nodded in that equaliser at Almondvale the season was done for me. Delighted not to be involved in the ongoing relegation shitshow, absolutely zero fucking cares from that point on and not getting bent out of shape about things is very much where I am mentally.

It just upsets me more than you maybe know that you've mentally put away any chances whipping out Natalie, the hammock with that apple again before mid May.

I think I mentioned it previously but probably worthwhile again in this context and to add a little.

When I spoke to a board member (not McMahon or Burrows) recently  it's clear that they are well aware of the feeling through the support about Alexander and our run of results. That was pre split. They feel it themselves all being fans too.

It's acknowledged the manager is stubborn and keeps things close to his chest outside the club, has his ways of working, but is approachable but also that his and the teams progress is under constant review (not just on a seasonal basis). 

As some have mentioned, he's pretty much knocked out the park, the minimum KPIs and could still make a dent in the stretch ones (i.e. top 6 and Europe).

Will be interesting to see the targets set for next season by the board for the manager... could make decisions later in the season easier if you know what I mean. 

Edited by eliphas

Just took some time to look at last seasons table and it's really funny in comparison.

We could end up with less points in total (currently on 40 and finished with 45 last season. 12 points to go) and somehow end up qualifying for Europe.

Really shows you how mad this seasons been for a lot of teams.

13 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Just took some time to look at last seasons table and it's really funny in comparison.

We could end up with less points in total (currently on 40 and finished with 45 last season. 12 points to go) and somehow end up qualifying for Europe.

Really shows you how mad this seasons been for a lot of teams.

I think that's where you probably just have to factor in that there's a fundamental difference between the Top 6 and Bottom 6 fixtures.

Our first post-split game last season was a 1-0 win against St Mirren, this season it's a game against Rangers (having said that 2 of the teams we play in this season's Top 6 we also played in the Bottom 6 last season - County and United).

Fwiw, the last time we finished Top 6 (properly, not in the curtailed season) we were 5th on 50 points. Tough to imagine we'll match that this season. Although, we were 4th on 44 points at the split and County were 6th on 43 (so not a massive points gap on this season).

3 hours ago, eliphas said:

Will be interesting to see the targets set for next season by the board for the manager... could make decisions later in the season easier if you know what I mean. 

I know we need to set targets but it's very hard to please everyone. There are elements in our support who seem to believe we have some kind of moral failing for not vocally declaring we're going for third and a cup, others (those with some actual responsibility) will say first priority must always be having the means in place to survive a relegation should a sporting disaster happen. The majority are in between the two extremes but there's still a wide range of opinion on just what we should be aiming for and just how much risk we're willing to carry in trying to get it.

There are so many variables it's hard to define what a good season is but I always feel you know it when you see it.

Everyone usually agrees we'd accept grim football in return for tangible success but the theory is normally never tested in reality. If we continue as we are and finish sixth, I doubt many people (even inside the club, though they might not say so publicly) will be happy despite the top half seeming way beyond our means back in August. Alternatively continue as we are and nick fifth, then even the most anti-Alexander fans will have to grit their teeth and say well done.

Wonder if any of these players out of contract and fancy a crack in the SPL

League One team of the season

Team: Michael Cooper (Plymouth Argyle), Jack Whatmough (Wigan Athletic), Michael Ihiekwe (Rotherham United), Harry Darling (MK Dons), Wes Burns (Ipswich Town), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday), Dan Barlaser (Rotherham United), Scott Twine (MK Dons), Michael Smith (Rotherham United), Ross Stewart (Sunderland)

League Two team of the season

Team: Jojo Wollacott (Swindon Town), Jon Guthrie (Northampton Town), Peter Clarke (Tranmere Rovers), Jordan Turnbull (Salford City), Kane Wilson (Forest Green Rovers), Nicky Cadden (Forest Green Rovers), Timothee Dieng (Exeter City), Finn Azaz (Newport County), Harry McKirdy (Swindon Town), Dom Telford (Newport County), Matty Stevens (Forest Green Rovers)

24 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Alternatively continue as we are and nick fifth, then even the most anti-Alexander fans will have to grit their teeth and say well done.

My teeth have been so gritted that I'm living the nightmare where all my teeth have disintegrated in my mouth and I'm having to spit the bits out.   And I'm lucky, being an armchair fan who only watches the games via streams the ability to bail out of an awful match is but a mouse-click away.  I have pitied the guys paying money for their seats - but also admire you for sticking with the team through thick and thin .. and whatever this is.

But yeah, if GA can somehow get us in to Europe then fair play.   Napoleon may have said he'd rather have lucky generals than good ones, GA can be lucky this season, but he needs to be good (or preferably both) next season.

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Getting this in before his hat-trick on Saturday...Tony Watt has been outscored in 2022 by Joe Efford, Jordan Roberts, Connor Shields, and now Ross Tierney.

Just think if these 4 had the opportunity to play against Motherwell

I agree with much of what has been said on here over the last few days. I think i had emotionally 'checked-out' of this season quite some time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be buzzing if we get Europe but I've got no intentions of going up to Dingwall or Dundee to watch this team. I'd normally be excited at that prospect given the position we are in but any enthusiasm has been drained out of me. In all honesty I was pretty meh over the result at Livi but I think I was in the minority with that.

I'm not convinced this group of players actually enjoys playing for the manager and I wouldn't surprised if theres a few wanting to leave.. I'm also not convinced that Alexander will stick around,  I can see him walking before he gets another sacking in Aug/Sept time.

I think what I'm looking for from Alexander is a total change in approach/style similar to what Robinson adopted some time through his reign. I don't think I'm going to see it but I think thats the only thing that will satisfy myself and a number of other fans. This remains the case if we finish 4th or not which is a pretty ridiculous comment but the majority of this season has been pretty miserable.

23 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'll be buzzing if we get Europe but I've got no intentions of going up to Dingwall or Dundee to watch this team. 

I think what I'm looking for from Alexander is a total change in approach/style similar to what Robinson adopted some time through his reign. I don't think I'm going to see it but I think thats the only thing that will satisfy myself and a number of other fans. This remains the case if we finish 4th or not which is a pretty ridiculous comment but the majority of this season has been pretty miserable.

Apart from emotionally checking out. This is it in a nutshell. I never emotionally check out when Motherwell are playing. I would like too, but I am fully aware they are playing and I am praying that we pick up points. 

I think the majority of fans believe we have a squad that if the right players were chosen could actually play football and go on the offensive. Most notably the home game v Hearts.

We have decent forward and midfield options but GA seems to go for the wrong combinations more often than not. Goss has a great delivery but that apart is too lightweight. Cornelius is a Duracell bunny but probably lacks (so far) consistent performances. To be fair that could apply to most. I am surprised we have seen very little of Liam Shaw. 

We seem to start games waiting for something to happen. That generally results in a goal against and then we start to apply ourselves. If we do that v United and County we will end up losing or drawing at best. When we need to probably take 4 points from those two games. That is why I think we will fall short sadly. Hope not of course. 

Two days on and i'm still wondering why Slattery never pulled down Sakala.

That moment killed it for us, we were right in the game but giving them the goal that early kills the game for us, they can sit and defend and hit on the counter.

fwiw, I am not actually blaming Slattery, he probably thought the rest of the midfield or defence would engage Sakala at some point, they didn't.

56 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I think what I'm looking for from Alexander is a total change in approach/style similar to what Robinson adopted some time through his reign. 

Unfortunately for Alexander, I don’t think he has the luxury of having a 3 million pound player sitting in our reserves ready to come in and transform the team.

Funnily enough, I do think he’s in a similar position to where Robinson was in the summer of 2018. A good first half of the season was followed by a much poorer second half after we’d sold our best player in January. 

Robinson made a complete arse of it that summer though with his signing of Sammon and the whole improving 12-18 nonsense. Think we’d lost something like 5 games on the spin when he eventually decided to chuck Turnbull in around late October. 

I mean I quite liked Robinson but in retrospect, he was extremely lucky he had Turnbull to bail him out otherwise I don’t think he’d have even made it to January to change his ‘philosophy’. 

Edited by Casagolda

27 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Unfortunately for Alexander, I don’t think he has the luxury of having a 3 million pound player sitting in our reserves ready to come in and transform the team.

Funnily enough, I do think he’s in a similar position to where Robinson was in the summer of 2018. A good first half of the season was followed by a much poorer second half after we’d sold our best player in January. 

Robinson made a complete arse of it that summer though with his signing of Sammon and the whole improving 12-18 nonsense. Think we’d lost something like 5 games on the spin when he eventually decided to chuck Turnbull in around late October. 

I mean I quite liked Robinson but in retrospect, he was extremely lucky he had Turnbull to bail him out otherwise I don’t think he’d have even made it to January to change his ‘philosophy’. 

Aye, his first start that season was a 1-0 loss to St Johnstone (we hadn't won in 4 before he got his start)...and well, we know what happened after that.

1327015983_ScreenShot2022-04-25at13_28_30.thumb.png.ead55a3b5892e86433988e752aecb991.png

Edited by capt_oats

The equaliser v Livi only papered over the absolute dross that was served up by our team in that game. I stood there thinking why is everyone acting like we've won the league ?. Also finishing top six is only prolonging the agony of Alexander's dismissal. European tour ?, don't make me laugh. We can't muster any fight against a ten man Rangers reserve team at home and will not get another point this season. The end can't come quick enough right now

37 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, his first start that season was a 1-0 loss to St Johnstone (we hadn't won in 4 before he got his start)...and well, we know what happened after that.

1327015983_ScreenShot2022-04-25at13_28_30.thumb.png.ead55a3b5892e86433988e752aecb991.png

I put 2 quid on 2-0 Turnbull first goal on against st mirren at 100/1, some night.

I like Robinson a lot and have a lot of nostalgia for that 2017-2019 period but he must have one of the worst records in world football right now. Basically been unable to buy a win since January 2020.

Edit- aye going off Wiki his record in that timeframe is P:69 W:14 D:17 L:38 which almost makes me feel good about our last few months.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil