Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It smacks of Tannadice again - there we were unfortunate to be behind at HT and rather coming out to equalise in the second half, GA admitted we came out to keep it tight and try to sneak one later. We handed all the initiative to them and - because we can't defend - promptly conceded.

In the first half we were at least 50-50 and when Rangers were a little uncertain even approaching in control. The change at HT was staggering and you wouldn't be at all surprised if GA again told them to sit back, keep it tight and go for it when Rangers tire. Except as we still can't defend to save our lives (one clean sheet in 17 now I believe) we simply gave the game away. Again.

At the end of the day, I can’t remember having less faith in a Motherwell defence, we need to sign at least 2 good defenders in the summer.

Without Van Veen we have no threat up top. Shields and Efford are empty shirts. Woolery isn’t allowed to play more than 25 minutes. Amaluzor showing why he doesn’t get near this team.

Screaming out to make changes at half time and take the initiative, probably Woolery at least.

I had this match marked as a defeat, hopefully RC and Utd lose tomorrow and we have a four match shoot out for Europe.

41 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I really dislike this team. I want the moult and Bowman team to come back and batter them. Bowman wouldn't even care that Tierney is a child.

Said in the match thread, a complete meh squad that I would be glad to see the back of, almost in its entirety. Kelly and Tierney are probably the only two I'd be upset to lose. Mediocre would be a massive upgrade on what we're enduring on a weekly basis.

Alexander can (and will) continue to ramble on about the 'massive achievement' of simply making the top 6 in all his pressers til the end of the season. There's no hiding the fact his team and his tactics are shite and god awful to watch. First Motherwell manager in a while to be able to spend actual cash money on players, and look at the shite he's tied down on 2 and 3 year deals.

Absolutely insipid pish in that second half today. Efford is an abysmal footballer and the less said about Amaluzor’s cameo the better. There’s a handful of good players in the squad but my god there’s a heap of shit in there too. Work to be done over the summer.

Alexander [emoji51][emoji51]

Cool stats, but it's not our fault the other teams are utter gash as well. We gave them all a chance to take our spot, and only Ross County wanted it, and they're shite too.

We're second worse in the whole league for errors that lead to goals, with only 3? 3 errors for a whole season doesn't sound that bad. I'm also pretty sure we've had more. Does the lineup count as an error?

Not so sure about this new scouting model we have if it was lauding the fact we signed Ojala, Efford and Solholm.

We went to all that bother to sing two centre halves who have proved to be worse than the considered fourth choice in the summer.

Efford over Woolery baffles me. Efford offers nothing and with Woolery, we strangely appeared to wait ages on him hitting a good run of form, then when he did, we’ve dropped him.

Not so sure about this new scouting model we have if it was lauding the fact we signed Ojala, Efford and Solholm.
We went to all that bother to sing two centre halves who have proved to be worse than the considered fourth choice in the summer.
Efford over Woolery baffles me. Efford offers nothing and with Woolery, we strangely appeared to wait ages on him hitting a good run of form, then when he did, we’ve dropped him.
Ojala makes sense on paper. Zero pace though.
Solholm - Zero pace.
Efford - Just shite

Don't get the Woolery situation either. Hits the best run of form since joining, only to be jettisoned from the team in favour of an utter huddy. Efford is honking.

On Amaluzor, a particular highlight today was him mis-controlling a relatively easy ball and toe poking it clean out the park for a goal kick. At least his was only a 1 year deal, so he should be on his way in a few weeks, thankfully.

4 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

On Amaluzor, a particular highlight today was him mis-controlling a relatively easy ball and toe poking it clean out the park for a goal kick. At least his was only a 1 year deal, so he should be on his way in a few weeks, thankfully.

He is being "mentally strong" don't you know!

I'm more relaxed about Sol and Ojala. When they played the first run of games together they looked excellent. And Ojala was mostly fine today. The big issue at the back is the fullbacks. Just not good enough.

When Woolery and Van Veen are playing together that looks fine too. Slattery has his ups and downs.

The main problem has been bizarre team selections, tactics and lack of in game management from Alexander. We haven't been getting the most out of our guys for the last 4 months.

Priorities should be a pair of full backs, a holding centre mid and then another couple of options up front.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Screaming out to make changes at half time and take the initiative, probably Woolery at least.

I had this match marked as a defeat, hopefully RC and Utd lose tomorrow and we have a four match shoot out for Europe.

I was hopeful based on very little that Europe was a possibility. Losing to Rangers is the default position regardless the circumstances. 

BUT.

Despite making top 6 we are currently and statistically the worst team in the league in 2022. Our defence is actually a joke. So even though it remains a possibility the reality is that every team in the top 6 will score at least 2 goals against us. On that basis we will end up 6th.

Then we pray we bring in a competent left back, centre halves and any number of other players.