Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The big issue is that it's not ourselves doing it directly. It's the SPFL who are making this agreement which results in the creation of Motherwell branded or players NFTs.

I do hope we can also get an exception to this deal. Otherwise I would be losing a bit of faith in the current board on Burrows 

13 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Now NFTs are very much not my bag, baby, but so long as it's perfectly clear what we're selling (and that this is not an investment) I don't have a problem with it.

I've got a computer science degree and I've watched 2-hour explainer videos on NFTs, and I still have a hard time understanding them, so I can't see the SPFL knocking it out the park here. In any case, "we're selling a unique digital token that contains a URL that currently points to an image file that isn't necessarily unique and won't actually belong to you and that anyone can trivially copy and that could change or disappear at any moment" isn't likely to part many people from their hard-earned.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

Also - getting people mostly with no understanding of the underlying mechanics to buy this pish just because it's got MFC branding feels a bit wrong to me.

This is very much where I stand on it. Like if someone wants to essentially gamble on these types of coin/token or buying some low effort monkey drawing and they know what they're getting in to then fine, whatever. You're a mug imo but ultimately if you want to burn your cash on those instead of the bookies then go right ahead. 

But plastering a club crest on it and punting it to folk who don't have a clue what they're on about is irresponsible bordering on dangerous. 

59 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

This is very much where I stand on it. Like if someone wants to essentially gamble on these types of coin/token or buying some low effort monkey drawing and they know what they're getting in to then fine, whatever. You're a mug imo but ultimately if you want to burn your cash on those instead of the bookies then go right ahead. 

But plastering a club crest on it and punting it to folk who don't have a clue what they're on about is irresponsible bordering on dangerous. 

A fair sentiment. You can certainly argue we have a certain duty of care to folk over anything we associate ourselves with. 

But ultimately these are adults (I hope!) and will make their own decisions...as long as we make it clear this is a purchase of something, even one with a dubious tech background I personally don't understand, and not a chance to make money I can live with it. I won't be touching it mind and I've coughed up god knows how much into the club over the years for all sorts of crap.

My knowledge of SPFL rules doesn't extend beyond the reporting of the Rangers/cinch stuff but from that I think it sounds highly unlikely we'll be able to say we don't fancy it for whatever reason and get an exemption.

I'm an auld cnut pushing 50, and haven't read much into NFT's, but the little I have seen paints a very dubious and debatable picture with some folks losing silly money.

I suppose there'll be mid-ranking players looking for a top up to their retirement fund, like Tony Watt, all over the shop that hold a bit of influence over younger fans, whose involvement and endorsement will help persuade them into it. For guys my age though, I don't see too many parting with their cash for what essentially boils down to being an online/digital panini sticker. Although if there's a Deimantus Petravicius out there going for an agreeable price, I might just be tempted to get onboard...

As a recently retired bank manager I've lost count of the number of people I've had sitting opposite me moaning about the amount of money they've lost in these type of schemes.

If it looks like a duck etc etc.

Stay well clear.

3 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

The big issue is that it's not ourselves doing it directly. It's the SPFL who are making this agreement which results in the creation of Motherwell branded or players NFTs.

I do hope we can also get an exception to this deal. Otherwise I would be losing a bit of faith in the current board on Burrows 

Aye. Although in fairness to Burrows his hands will be tied depending on what IP rights the SPFL are actually allowed to exploit as a result of us being members of the league.

I think the language in the Herald piece is an issue with them saying that Rangers are "opting out". The reason for that seems to be that they already have a partner in that field to fleece the chumps in their support.

It doesn't read as if it's really an opt in/out scenario despite the headline.

Then again, I'd imagine there's a difference between the sort of non-exclusive IP rights we'd grant to the SPFL to exploit via third party licenses (eg: FM22, FIFA etc) and the fundamental concept behind NFTs.

As @Swello says above the club actively endorsing an obvious grift doesn't really sit right at all. Even more so given that Burrows seems fully aware that they're a massive con.

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Crypto has a place in the world and blockchain is pretty interested as a concept but when you see the pump & dump schemes like these fan tokens it's a total con. 

NFTs are either a tax dodge or a massive fucking grift, though. 

Its place is in the bin.

crypto does nothing except waste a ton of energy and scam folk out of money

29 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

crypto does nothing except waste a ton of energy and scam folk out of money

That’s what I was telling the missus about the Internet 25 years ago, in a desperate but futile effort to curtail her online shopping. Some genies just won’t go back in the bottle. 

As long as it's not marketed as an investment, and it's just a collectible 'thing' (like stickers, trading cards) then I've no real problems with NFT/fan tokens. If certain players end up punting valuable ones for profit then it becomes an issue for me...

8 minutes ago, eliphas said:

As long as it's not marketed as an investment, and it's just a collectible 'thing' (like stickers, trading cards) then I've no real problems with NFT/fan tokens. If certain players end up punting valuable ones for profit then it becomes an issue for me...

You saw the Hibs token launch though. There's all these NFT/coin punting, definitely-not-a-bot Twitter accounts that pop up saying how exciting it is. Presumably so value goes up as supporters buy it and they can dump what they got early to make money on it. I'm not really sure how you're supposed to remove that as a risk. 

If any of you know your history NFT’s and many parts of crypto (meme coins) are modern day Tulipmania.

history always repeats itself and human greed and stupidity is always a fertile pasture.

it’s gonna be attractive to the young and those with too much money so being community based and focused the club should make things very clear.

Saying that to fill a Panini album it cost about £900 with an outrageous number of doublers.

44 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

You saw the Hibs token launch though. There's all these NFT/coin punting, definitely-not-a-bot Twitter accounts that pop up saying how exciting it is. Presumably so value goes up as supporters buy it and they can dump what they got early to make money on it. I'm not really sure how you're supposed to remove that as a risk. 

To show my ignorance here...

Why can't the club then just sell X collectables at a fixed price? Like those wee plastic football figures, Panini stickers or even a limited 500 print run of a cup final painting?

If a collector really wants something - a 1952 cup final programme etc - they'll pay more for it. It's not currency, you can't use it for anything else, I assume, but no one objects to any other limited items going up in price to meet demand. People pay mental money for stamps - which are as interesting to me as NFTs but I'm not about to stop them. 

Is the danger basically that the technology of having your own 'unique' item isn't secure so it's too easy to forge/steal?