Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

24 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Reiterating what I've said in previous posts, the last minute nature of the decision inconveniencing our own fans is the main issue. You can bet your arse that if the boot was on the other foot, 50,000 'bears' would never, ever be inconvenienced to help out little old Motherwell, should the unlikely event ever arise.

The club see fit to comply, rightly, I grudgingly admit - fine.

4 days notice - not fine.

My argument exactly. I would ask the question “would they do it for us ?” Would they f**k ! If the arse cheek want anything the answer should always be “f**k NO 🖕🏻

Even aside from the short notice,  it's the sporting reasons that f**k me off. If its on Sunday then Rangers have to decide whether or not to rest players, or otherwise tell them to conserve their energy. We've just gave them an extra rest day to mitigate that for no reason. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't see why anyone who isn't heavily impacted cares greatly. Intuitively I think the club is right people prefer Saturday games (and they've probably got the data to back it up).

Plenty of folk who are wound up seem to be upset because Rangers made a request, we accepted and they think we've been shafted. I don't get the logic - is there a belief we just helped them for the sake of it without thinking? Given how well we're run - as agreed even by people who disagree with this one - I just don't believe the club made the decision on the toss of a coin, or by being intimidated or whatever.

More likely we calculated that the hit of inconveniencing X is worth it with Y more coming on a Saturday plus whatever we get from Ibrox to grease the wheels of commerce. The board could be wrong of course, who knows, but as I said I'm happy to trust that they weighed up everything and are making the decision which they think is best for the club.

So while I have sympathy for anyone in the inconvenienced group X, I don't really understand people who can make the game anyway/wouldn't have made the game anyway getting upset at the club doing what it thinks is right simply because it was one of the OF who asked for it.

100% agree. 

It seems to come down to whether you think we should do anything to uphold any sort of ask from one of the old firm out of principle,  even if it either doesn't affect us/positively impacts us. 

For me, I don't really care either way and I'm fine with that and whatever anyone else thinks. Those who are on the other side are pretty passionate about trying to convince otherwise.  

Hopefully now it's been decided we can get back to the actual game itself.

Edited by eliphas

Robertson and Flow go way back and he's mentioned in interviews before how his input when he was starting in the game and advice since has been really helpful to his own progression.

I would be surprised if the Rangers have been asked for or will volunteer any funds for any changes. Thing is, don't see there being many hospitality changes due to this which is a major increase over most home games (the McLean stand is a constant and handles itself) and OF games tend to be oversubscribed anyway so if there any who can't make it their seats will be filled pretty fast.

Those of the away support who can't make the switch, well I'm sure they'll move the seats on within their supporters bus or friends/family.

Home support, I don't think our walk up gate is that much and season ticket holders, club already have your £16.50 (equiv) for this. OF games usually have a depressed home support (on both counts).

Sky's scheduling is basically, "Where is the OF who are not at home playing this weekend?"

What I resent is my club having the spotlight on it because of other numerous oversights. Ultimately we've been the arbitrator on this decision and that's neither fair nor right. I'd say lessons need to be learned but I have little confidence in it happening.

We should not have got to 4 days out to make the change. No amount of spin can remedy that fact.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Even aside from the short notice,  it's the sporting reasons that f**k me off. If its on Sunday then Rangers have to decide whether or not to rest players, or otherwise tell them to conserve their energy. We've just gave them an extra rest day to mitigate that for no reason. 

This is exactly why we should've told them to bolt. If they rest players we have a better chance of getting something from the game which could be the difference between getting into Europe or not at the end of the season, yet we've got folk on here saying it doesn't matter. Mental.

This is exactly why we should've told them to bolt. If they rest players we have a better chance of getting something from the game which could be the difference between getting into Europe or not at the end of the season, yet we've got folk on here saying it doesn't matter. Mental.

You think challenging for Europe ourselves is more important than supporting another club in Europe to boost the coefficient? Crazy.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your input into the discussion around the implementation of VAR in the Scottish Premiership.  

We had a fantastic response from members who contributed thoughtful, articulate, and important points both for and against VAR. Although the majority of these responses were supportive of VAR, the concerns raised by those in opposition were also taken very much into consideration. In a subsequent meeting with the Scottish FA's Head of Referees, Crawford Allan, and Chief Executive Alan Burrows, we were given a presentation from Crawford Allan about the proposal and were also able to air your concerns and comments. 

In arriving at a position to support VAR the Well Society board took into consideration: 

• Points made in Crawford Allan’s presentation 

• Discussions with Crawford Allan and Alan Burrows 

• SPFL papers 

• input from members of the Well Society. 

We outlined our position to the Executive Board who voted in favour of the proposal on Tuesday 19 April. You will be aware that VAR was voted in by the vast majority of clubs across all divisions and will be implemented in the SPFL from December 2022 onwards. 

We feel it is important to allow members access to as much information on VAR as possible and are exploring the best way to do this. Watch this space. 

In the meantime, thank you for taking the time out to share your comments, ideas and concerns with us. 

Kind regards, 

The Well Society Board
well.society@motherwellfc.co.uk

Well Society email just received.

Make of it what you will. I for one am not impressed how this was handled and all the talk in the email about points for and against should have been made to the membership in advance of going to any discussions at association level to give us context in our submissions. Lack of basic levels of information, diligence, transparency and respect for the membership.

"We feel it is important to allow members access to as much information on VAR as possible and are exploring the best way to do this. Watch this space."

..... which we will do very much after the vote has finalised and before you could potentially throw a spanner in the works.

Closing the stable door after the horse has very much bolted.

2 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

You think challenging for Europe ourselves is more important than supporting another club in Europe to boost the coefficient? Crazy.

2 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

^ Poe’s Law strikes again. 

Indeed 

I'm not in any way convinced they would have rested players given they are still going for the title. 

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

..... which we will do very much after the vote has finalised and before you could potentially throw a spanner in the works.

Only 1 club out of 42 voted against it. The arguments about how much we should have been consulted are fair and valid, but the reality is that even if we'd persuaded the club to vote against it, no spanners would have been thrown in any works at this point. Hopefully discussions between clubs, fans and the SPFL about how to actually implement it will be ongoing, and our views will be considered again then.

2 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Only 1 club out of 42 voted against it. The arguments about how much we should have been consulted are fair and valid, but the reality is that even if we'd persuaded the club to vote against it, no spanners would have been thrown in any works at this point. Hopefully discussions between clubs, fans and the SPFL about how to actually implement it will be ongoing, and our views will be considered again then.

Talking more of the club supporting it or not. I'm sure the clubs executives would have prefered us to be in any minority. Not if the overall VAR vote would go through, which was a foregone conclusion.

And for the record I supported VAR's adoption, not because I think it's the solution because it is probably gonna be mandated by UEFA at some point so no point in delaying. At present we're the 9th ranked league by co-efficient in UEFA so it would be coming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

Was gonna give my mum the ST to take the wee yin on Sunday, instead I'll be taking her on the Saturday. I'm not sure which of us is losing out here.

After the game, child is staying with her grandparents while I go to an empty in Edinburger way. Have to change trains Central/Queen St so the train from Motherwell to town full of bluenoses will be even better if we take something from them. We can draw them at their place so why not at FP?

19 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I really hope we don't get involved with this NFT scam....

But it's the SPFL doing it and dragging ourselves with it.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/20080667.rangers-opt-new-spfl-nft-deal-due-contractual-obligations/

Burrows has definitely seemed NFT-sceptic going by a couple of RTs on his Twitter (with good reason, the whole thing is a massive fucking grift).

720258345_ScreenShot2022-04-21at09_21_24.thumb.png.a5062023bf3c5a014c98ce4d0ce682c1.png

553175465_ScreenShot2022-04-21at09_23_07.thumb.png.7c28dcf3e53b863adbf21181d42fc833.png

Edited by capt_oats

Fans of clubs like ours are basically walking cash machines and so long as the piss isn't taken completely most are, if not happy, at least tolerating of the arrangement. After all, we all want Motherwell to do well, this costs money and who else is going to pay for it?

In addition to tickets, food and the usual, we have also flogged off patches of grass, shares, tiles in the tunnel, bricks on the Cooper, we ask for money for the Society, for occasional charitable donations, Motherwell TV, the 'Well lotto (now defunct?) and god knows what else - most recently a mass-produced dinner and some jokes from Tam Cowan for 70 quid (!) a head.

Now NFTs are very much not my bag, baby, but so long as it's perfectly clear what we're selling (and that this is not an investment) I don't have a problem with it. Some people will go for it, others will save their hard-earned for the next 'opportunity' produced from FP...fair enough.

NFT in general looks more and more like a pyramid scheme type mess and there a multiple examples of people losing comedy amounts of money on it, so I hope we give it a miss as it's also tacky as f**k (The hibs one gave me the cringe when I saw it). Also - getting people mostly with no understanding of the underlying mechanics to buy this pish just because it's got MFC branding feels a bit wrong to me.

Lastly, we have a limited fanbase, who as @Handsome Devil says have multiple asks for money just to keep us going - this feels like a really unnecessary one when the same money spent in more direct ways with the club or society would be of much more benefit. 

Hard "no".