Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Actually... I remember a lot of complaints about us being fucking shite to watch from our own fans.  

Yep - but I wasn't one of them - I liked that team. There was definitely a point where other teams worked us out as always happens in our league but we were a horrible team to play against and that was quite unusual for us at the time.

Absolutely. All the very best to him.

Interesting we emphasized the non-football side of his ambitions, I assumed his sports directorship degree was sports director in the continental understanding of the role rather than the director of a business type. Which would obviously make finding a place for him at FP harder given Burrows is already there and really means the St Mirren offer is a no-brainer for him.

Wouldn't be averse to seeing him back at FP one day, who knows.

One of the good guys - the housewives favourite and also tested the heterosexuality of a lot of middle aged men. 

Good luck to him as he has clearly had an eye on extending his career once his playing days were over and this seems like a good opportunity. It probably hasn't been much fun being 3rd in the coaching pecking order for the past while, so this would have been a relatively easy decision I'd Imagine (especially as he's local and I think was a saints fan as a boy).

1 hour ago, Swello said:

One of the good guys - the housewives favourite and also tested the heterosexuality of a lot of middle aged men. 

Good luck to him as he has clearly had an eye on extending his career once his playing days were over and this seems like a good opportunity. It probably hasn't been much fun being 3rd in the coaching pecking order for the past while, so this would have been a relatively easy decision I'd Imagine (especially as he's local and I think was a saints fan as a boy).

I know what you mean but at the same time he extended his contract last year whilst in the same role. From the outside looking in the dual assistants seemed a bit of an awkward fit though - it'll be interesting to see if he's replaced I guess.

That's a few of the backroom/coaching staff moved/moving on with Boles having already left for Celtic (and Mo Ross having bailed last year).

The fact that we've always spoken about the importance of having people around the club who *get it* whether it's on the coaching staff or in the dressing room means that we're losing more than just a coach to put out the cones.

Thinking about it, Lasley was reported to have put his name forward for the manager job at least twice I can think of and in both occasions the club decided to go in a different direction. With the fact that both Robinson and Alexander have been, objectively speaking, relative successes it's hard to say that the club made a mistake with either appointment.

Add to that the fact that his last interim game saw us scudded 3-0 by Accies (without necessarily judging him on that one game) I suppose opening up his options in his career path by looking at the Sports Directorship makes a lot of sense.

As @Handsome_Devil says the role he's moving to is currently filled by Burrows here so the options for movement were pretty limited unless we created some sort of bespoke DoF position.

Had he jumped ship to take a coaching role it'd have stung given his association with the club but in this case, with the opportunity he has, it really is a genuine 'best of luck to him' from me.

Edited by capt_oats

56 minutes ago, Swello said:

Aye and petrol is £1.75 a litre halfway down Airbles Road.

In honour of Sir Keith, from an article many years ago, can’t remember which one.
250a958e0250f381401290b9502b4495.jpg
I forgot how much he used to rile up Celtic.

He'll need to get in their good books if St Mirren are going to let Celtic borrow their stadium and club shop again.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I forgot how much he used to rile up Celtic.

He'll need to get in their good books if St Mirren are going to let Celtic borrow their stadium and club shopa again.

If they gie’s the cash again, they can have it again. Hopefully, if it does ever happen again, then our new COO Lasley will have the common sense to have informed the support ahead of it happening, rather than have us find out in a point-and-laugh manner with a bloke up a ladder sticking a Sellik Shop sign up.

As an aside, why can’t Lasley just be a CEO? A COO sounds like we now need to provide him with a banjo and a barn door.

47 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

As an aside, why can’t Lasley just be a CEO? A COO sounds like we now need to provide him with a banjo and a barn door.

Alan Burrows was originally our General Manager, then COO, then CEO. I assume you're allowed control of more money as you go along.