Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, West End Well said:

First time posting, but I have a friend who is a top tier ref. He has been training on the VAR setup at hampden for months, both as a ref working with a VAR and as a VAR reviewing the video feed. Hawkeye are also advertising for technicians to operate the system in Scotland. And the SFA are very keen for it to go ahead as their officials won’t be represented at major tournaments which use VAR if they aren’t working with it domestically  

The main problem seems likely to be a shortage of officials as at least an extra 2 refs are required for each game (an assistant VAR to continue watching the action while a VAR review is going on). I would suggest that we can’t really afford to dilute a very weak talent pool any further so I’m against it 

A "friend", eh?  Great to have you on the forum, Hugh...

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I feel the Society/Club should be doing a ballot at the very least.  Emails soliciting for fans' views is probably more than most other clubs are doing but it should still only be the first part of a much more of a transparent process IMO.

I don't think my monthly fiver should get me a vote on the starting lineup every Saturday but it probably should stretch to a say in the biggest change to the rules in this country since they introduced the passback law.

SMISA have asked members to vote on it.

Having seen the way it's used elsewhere, I voted against it.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I feel the Society/Club should be doing a ballot at the very least.  Emails soliciting for fans' views is probably more than most other clubs are doing but it should still only be the first part of a much more of a transparent process IMO.

I don't think my monthly fiver should get me a vote on the starting lineup every Saturday but it probably should stretch to a say in the biggest change to the rules in this country since they introduced the passback law.

They offered me a vote, that's what a tenner a month gets you.

5 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

think that it will be a centralised service, with referees reviewing feeds of the game from a central location. Which I would assume will reduce the number of referees required.

You still need 1 VAR official per game.

Oh sorry VAR missed the clear penalty at Easter Road, they were busy drawing lines on offside decision at Dingwall.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, 4 years is actually quite a long time but it's still a bit mental that there's only two of the players in this video still at the club.

Now that was an enjoyable season. One of the biggest regrets of my time watching us that both our cup finals were against that Brendan Rodgers celtic team.

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, 4 years is actually quite a long time but it's still a bit mental that there's only two of the players in this video still at the club.

You can stick yer VAR up yer arse.

Now that was an enjoyable season. One of the biggest regrets of my time watching us that both our cup finals were against that Brendan Rodgers celtic team.
It really was typical. Up against anyone else and I'd have fancied that team to lift at least 1 trophy.

I was debating that with a Rangers "supporting" mate, he's not happy and upset it was called back. I told him I was upset VAR was involved but it was a handball for me but the ref missed it so f**k VAR.

Say what you want about the Motherwell team this season. But twice they have come from behind to draw at Ibrox. In the meantime Rangers are comfortably beating the likes of Borussia Dortmund, Red Star Belgrade and most probably Braga.

Sure they most definitely took us lightly. In fact I am sure they did. But credit where credit is due 👏👏.

Edited by welldaft

14 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Your reminder that Kari Arnason has played in a European Championship quarter-final.

14 hours ago, Swello said:

Actually... I remember a lot of complaints about us being fucking shite to watch from our own fans.  

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Actually... I remember a lot of complaints about us being fucking shite to watch from our own fans.  

Not saying you're wrong but as I remember it most folk said it was a good job the cup balanced out the displays in the league rather than purely complaining it was grim to watch. If offered dismal but safe in the league combined with two absolutely epic cup runs you'd maybe not take it every year but in terms of breaking up the monotony it's one of my favourite ever seasons.

It's actually brightened up my morning taking a dip into this very thread at the point we hit the winter break after going through the December malaise in 17/18 (shout out @YassinMoutaouakil for getting the big Nadir hype train started).

By the by we were 2 points worse off at the split that season than we were this time around.

353508296_ScreenShot2022-04-15at11_27_52.thumb.png.947cc5b15733eda9630846bdd45d990a.png

Edited by capt_oats