Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'd be more than fine with Lamie staying - but I can't help but feel he's been a bit too honest here. What if Dundee stay up? He'd then presumably have no grounds to cancel his PCA and he'd have a set of supporters that know he was going to jump ship....

As long as he decides the first week of June and we get with it, none of this will he won’t he nonsense.

32 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'd be more than fine with Lamie staying - but I can't help but feel he's been a bit too honest here. What if Dundee stay up? He'd then presumably have no grounds to cancel his PCA and he'd have a set of supporters that know he was going to jump ship....

I'd be amazed if any Dundee fans are offended...would they want Rickie Lamie on the wages they reportedly offered to tempt him away from FP if they go down? Highly unlikely. His honesty is completely fine.

+1 on being fine with Lamie sticking around although it'd put us in a bit of an awkward position in so much as our defensive record since the winter break suggests there's probably an argument that another centre back should 100% be on our shopping list.

If the Bathgate Maldini changes his mind and re-signs then it'd leave us as is in terms of contracted bodies; Mugabi, Johansen, Ojala and big Ricki.

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

+1 on being fine with Lamie sticking around although it'd put us in a bit of an awkward position in so much as our defensive record since the winter break suggests there's probably an argument that another centre back should 100% be on our shopping list.

If the Bathgate Maldini changes his mind and re-signs then it'd leave us as is in terms of contracted bodies; Mugabi, Johansen, Ojala and big Ricki.

Play 3 at the back and invest in a couple of decent wingbacks 

Lamie being very diplomatic in his choice of words, but he's basically outlined the story of half our squad - I want to be playing games, I was playing well then was dropped. 

I don't think many can blame him for wanting a move. We can only hope players like Slattery and Woolery aren't thinking along those lines too.  

I’m not at all convinced by Sol. Especially on Saturday. Regardless of what happens with Lamie, we 100% need to do something about the defence in the summer.

40 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

I’m not at all convinced by Sol. Especially on Saturday. Regardless of what happens with Lamie, we 100% need to do something about the defence in the summer.

See, I'm willing to give Johansen a bit of leeway in so much as it's his first season in a new league and he arrived having been mid-season in Norway playing 90 mins week in week out.

He's basically been playing since May last year: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sondre-johansen/leistungsdaten/spieler/258506/plus/0?saison=2020

As a broader point though the defence definitely needs looked at IMO as this trend we're on of conceding the first goal and our apparent inability to keep a clean sheet is pretty difficult to ignore now.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Lamie being very diplomatic in his choice of words, but he's basically outlined the story of half our squad - I want to be playing games, I was playing well then was dropped. 

I don't think many can blame him for wanting a move. We can only hope players like Slattery and Woolery aren't thinking along those lines too.  

He got injured, did he not? He was in the team pretty regularly till he went off at ER in early December...but who knows how long he was actually unavailable for.

We need the stereotypical leader type at the back to hold the hand of SSJ/Lamie/Mugabi. If Ojala could be fit for more than 10 minutes at a time I think he'd do it well but it's a mental gamble putting our eggs in that fragile basket. Pairing two of the first three might work for the odd game but it's certainly not a viable plan long-term. 

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

In terms of personnel - the above sounds totally fine. I can't get away from the feeling that we've had (far) worse individual players in defences past but have conceded less - it feels like something else needs to change.

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

See, I'm willing to give Johansen a bit of leeway in so much as it's his first season in a new league and he arrived having been mid-season in Norway playing 90 mins week in week out.

He's basically been playing since May last year: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sondre-johansen/leistungsdaten/spieler/258506/plus/0?saison=2020

As a broader point though the defence definitely needs looked at IMO as this trend we're on of conceding the first goal and our apparent inability to keep a clean sheet is pretty difficult to ignore now.

I'd agree with this and would add that I was actually really impressed with Sol for the first half of the season. His distribution needs work but his reading of the game was pretty good IMO, was terrific in the air and definitely put himself about. His form has admittedly tailed off but I'm happy for him to continue as one of our CBs going into next season.

I have far greater concerns about Ojala tbh. He also looked good when he first arrived but we knew he was injury prone and honestly his most recent injury seemed to really stunt his ability to move and noticeably his confidence. Will that return with a pre-season under his belt? Who knows but suspect he'd be an expensive player to have if he's just a backup. FWIW, I'm fine with Sol + Mugabi/Lamie as our CB pairing but we absolutely need to look at left back. We've signed McGinley up which I'm fine with as a backup, considering his versatility, but Carroll isn't it. Mugabi at RB and O'Donnell at LB is fine as a temporary option but would definitely prefer it wasn't our first choice. 

Left back is definitely an area we need to improve in the summer.  The manager clearly rates McGinley, but I'd assume he'll be open to offers for Carroll.  It's just whether there's any clubs willing to take him off us.  It's not a great look for Carroll when the manager is picking Lamie & O'Donnell ahead of him at left-back.

I've got a hunch as well that SOD will move on in the summer.  It's clear the way GA wants us to play doesn't get the best out of O'Donnell, and the way O'Donnell would like to play seems alien to GA. Hopefully Max Johnston can come back and kick-on and provide good competition to Mugabi at full-back. 

I'd like to see a defensive midfielder come in as well.  With O'Hara, Grimshaw, Shaw and (probably) Donnelly moving on in the summer, it gives us a couple of spaces that'll need filled.  Barry Maguire seems like a decent lad, but I just can't see him being a long-term first pick at our level.  A decent squad player but no more than that, IMO. 

Oh aye, another striker would be handy.  We can't go though a full season just relying on KvV as a no.9.  

2 hours ago, CoF said:

Aye, would be interesting to see how the club/manager sold the plans to the new players. Woolery and Slattery could be very well aware that the manager intended to play a squad game and rotate things. Whereas the players inherited by Alexander who have jumped ship (Watt, Maldini, O'Hara) perhaps have different expectations. Which is fair enough.