Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think that's the issue, most folk do it out of loyalty or obligation but eventually there comes a point where you just go nah...and the risk is that the intention to pay in most weeks goes too. How many PATG home fans would we have had at the United, Hibs and county home games for example?

31 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Does anyone know if our 40 points is the lowest tally to make sixth at the split?

Last season was 40 as well so this isn't some sort of freak season. The main difference is that there were as many teams in with a shout on the day of the split.

1019705740_ScreenShot2022-04-10at15_52_30.thumb.png.f9e65461f736ee71961f06e2dc85c041.png

We were pushing forward towards the end and we had bodies in the box but was Mugabi actually deployed up there (again).  If so how early, I didn’t specifically notice it, I just thought it was all out attack.

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

We were pushing forward towards the end and we had bodies in the box but was Mugabi actually deployed up there (again).  If so how early, I didn’t specifically notice it, I just thought it was all out attack.

From watching the stream, it looked like the big man had been fired into his auxiliary forward role and loitering up top with the best part of 10 mins to go.

Didn't envision Ross County having the happiest fans by the end of the season when they hired the bad guy.

I wonder if we have any sneaky pre contracts going. We tend to be quieter about those compared to other teams.

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Last season was 40 as well so this isn't some sort of freak season. The main difference is that there were as many teams in with a shout on the day of the split.

1019705740_ScreenShot2022-04-10at15_52_30.thumb.png.f9e65461f736ee71961f06e2dc85c041.png

Last season was actually the first time a team made the top six on 40 points - next closest were Dundee (00-01) and Partick (16-17) on 41 points I think. Worth noting that qualifying for the top six on 42 and 43 points is fairly common though.

Seems unlikely we'll see two teams making the top six on 40 points in the same season for a long time - mad to think how close it has been over the last few weeks.

9 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Didn't envision Ross County having the happiest fans by the end of the season when they hired the bad guy.

I wonder if we have any sneaky pre contracts going. We tend to be quieter about those compared to other teams.

His stock as a football manager was reasonably high irrespective of behaviour. It's the nature of his texting and who he felt he could trust left him open to criticism and the spotlight. He won a watch with RCC but I don't think he'll be able to retain his services next season, enough radars have been alerted to his abilities.

As for our recruitment, a few decent acquisitions, the majority on par with what we had before, but quite a few "not good enough" and a couple of "whit?" have marked his transfer dealings for me.

5 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Last season was actually the first time a team made the top six on 40 points - next closest were Dundee (00-01) and Partick (16-17) on 41 points I think. Worth noting that qualifying for the top six on 42 and 43 points is fairly common though.

Seems unlikely we'll see two teams making the top six on 40 points in the same season for a long time - mad to think how close it has been over the last few weeks.

Number of teams that are close together also means points total are likely to be lower.

The thing that depletes points is the large number of draws. This season has had a lot of draws which compared to a conclusive result is -1 point from the table.

There have been 55 draws this season compared to 49 in the same period last season.

And the bottom teams just aren't as bad. St Johnstone are sitting in 11th with 30 points which would have seen them in 9th at the split last season.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

Does the unbridled joy and pitch invasion yesterday confirm that the split is something that is embraced and brings value to the top league?

We are one of the teams that it probably does add something for IMO. We've finished in every position save for 1st in our near 40 year spell in the Premier/SPL/Premiership but we are at heart a mid-table team and so it does formalise the good season/bad season thing and there have been a few times that it's been good fun to get in there (I'm thinking of the game up at Inverness a few seasons back under McGhee for example). I'm not against a bigger league and no split but I do quite like the current setup.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

We are one of the teams that it probably does add something for IMO. We've finished in every position save for 1st in our near 40 year spell in the Premier/SPL/Premiership but we are at heart a mid-table team and so it does formalise the good season/bad season thing and there have been a few times that it's been good fun to get in there (I'm thinking of the game up at Inverness a few seasons back under McGhee for example). I'm not against a bigger league and no split but I do quite like the current setup.

Yes, I think it makes the bottom half really dramatic.  Unless a team is hopelessly adrift in which case any format would be dull.  The split intensifies the cut throat, dog eat dog last 5 games.  Any of the teams down there could be in trouble.

4 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I’m just still gutted we missed out on Zak Rudden. 

His mind was telling him no, but his body! His body was telling him yes!!
What do we think would have happened if the ball had broken to Kelly on the edge the box? Bottom corner? Clear the stand?

I've just about understood putting tall keepers up for late corners but I'm not sure what Kelly adds other than allowing someone else into the box.