Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The Dons binning him is absolutely bonkers, for my money. For all Hibs seem a bit of a shambles just now on the park, the collection of decent laddies around the place certainly seems to ensure that there's none of the toxicity that some Hibs' squads of years' past had, even when they're binning staff left right and centre.

Particularly when they're going through a period of shifting in and out loads of players, why would you not keep a guy who can perform 10-15 games a season and keep the dressing room right?

14 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The Dons binning him is absolutely bonkers, for my money. For all Hibs seem a bit of a shambles just now on the park, the collection of decent laddies around the place certainly seems to ensure that there's none of the toxicity that some Hibs' squads of years' past had, even when they're binning staff left right and centre.

Particularly when they're going through a period of shifting in and out loads of players, why would you not keep a guy who can perform 10-15 games a season and keep the dressing room right?

I’m confused.

32 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

100% this. Would have thought he'd be a stick on to have in the dressing room for at least another season and then get on to a coaching role.

My pal's a dons fan and he's ready to match up to Pittodrie, pitchfork in hand over this.

What about Reece McAlear ? 

Out of contract at Norwich this summer. Currently scoring worldies on loan at Inverness. As such reported interest from St Johnstone, St Mirren and Killie. 

We got an undisclosed fee 3 years ago. Would he come back ? Would we want him back ?

I would hate for one of the above mentioned 3 clubs to pick him up only for them to get a good player and decent transfer fee further down the road. Not a given I understand and he may be going through a Hastie period on loan. But by all accounts he has done a damn fine job up north. 

Edited by welldaft

14 minutes ago, welldaft said:

What about Reece McAlear ? 

Out of contract at Norwich this summer. Currently scoring worldies on loan at Inverness. As such reported interest from St Johnstone, St Mirren and Killie. 

We got an undisclosed fee 3 years ago. Would he come back ? Would we want him back ?

I would hate for one of the above mentioned 3 clubs to pick him up only for them to get a good player and decent transfer fee further down the road. Not a given I understand and he may be going through a Hastie period on loan. But by all accounts he has done a damn fine job up north. 

I was surprised we weren't mentioned in those sniffing around...can't say I've seen that much of him for ICT but he seems to get decent reviews and there'd certainly be some logic in him coming back.

If you're making things overly simple and saying we have Maguire and Donnelly/new guy as holding players, Tierney as a potential 10, there's only Cornelius, Slattery and Goss competing for probably two spots going up and down. Which while not on the same priority as a new left back etc, isn't really enough. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

100% this. Would have thought he'd be a stick on to have in the dressing room for at least another season and then get on to a coaching role.

My pal's a dons fan and he's ready to match up to Pittodrie, pitchfork in hand over this.

It's a shame a loyal player leaves on bad terms but having read the club statement - assuming it's true - it's a real wtf moment...you know players are well paid, particularly up there, but the guy - 35 and after serious injury - has turned down a minimum hundred grand a year (!) plus basically a path to having a job for life at Pittodrie if he wants it. Does he really think he'll do better elsewhere? Am I just so wildly out of touch with football salaries that this was a really insulting offer? On the face of it he's insane.

As someone mentioned up above, I wouldn't be surprised if Cove offered him similar and maybe even more again, given they look set for the championship. He might reckon he has something to offer on the park and Aberdeen couldn't promise that?

45 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I was surprised we weren't mentioned in those sniffing around...can't say I've seen that much of him for ICT but he seems to get decent reviews and there'd certainly be some logic in him coming back.

If you're making things overly simple and saying we have Maguire and Donnelly/new guy as holding players, Tierney as a potential 10, there's only Cornelius, Slattery and Goss competing for probably two spots going up and down. Which while not on the same priority as a new left back etc, isn't really enough. 

I thought the same as I'd always quite liked the look of him and he seemed like he could develop into a player who could do us a turn.

Refreshing my memory, from what Burrows said at the time it was unlikely he going to renew his contract with us (presumably because he was aware of Norwich's interest) which is fine and unsurprising given the opportunity but I guess we've since changed manager and even the guy who was taking the Reserves while he was here has moved on (Ross).

It'd only really be the coaching staff who were here with Robinson who'd have worked with McAlear that would be advocating for him and I suppose the question is whether or not there are players in the 18s who'd be likely to step up pathway wise (Lennon Miller?) or whether we're looking for a more "first team ready" option for that position. He left us when he was 17 and he's only just turned 20 now.

Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows said: “It is very much our hope that the player development pathway we provide at Motherwell results in our academy graduates progressing to professional level, then eventually into the first team.

“We had high hopes for Reece. He was getting closer and closer and indeed, played several first-team friendly matches during pre-season.

"We had positive conversations with the player, his family and his representatives about extending his stay.

“However, it was clear this was an opportunity Reece wanted to explore and probably would’ve explored, when his contract expired at the end of the season, had we not managed to agree a deal with Norwich now.

“This will see the club secure cash in advance, as well as maintaining some economic rights should his career continue to develop."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

I suppose if he was to return a lot of it depends on the the manner he left the first time and if anyone said things they now regret. Rid necks and pride count for a lot.

If we have others on our list considered to offer more then by all means let merit guide Alexander's summer shopping spree. If it is felt he can do a job and everything ended on amicable terms then why not?

If by September there's a chance the returning starlet is Tweeting about smoking cigars maybe don't bother.

Edited by Kapowzer

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Did you feel a post about Scott Allan or Kyle Magennis would double up and work here?

Paste, redo the first sentence and then go "ahhh f**k it" ...... <submit reply>

Am I mental or would Andy Considine do a job?

He’s going to end up at Killie.

Unfortunate because I’d like to see the media team set a race between him, Ojala and Sol.

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Is there a chance Bailey Rice could make the step up or is he a bit young still?

He's 15 so probably a bit young. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bailey-rice/profil/spieler/924849

Miller's also 15 so scrub that mention I made about him earlier https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lennon-miller/profil/spieler/924857

Both turn 16 this year.

Unrelated but who's the boy on the right of the photo in the 8th slide of the post the club put up on IG earlier. Big Vic Nirennold is apparently 6ft 4" so yer man must be legit huge.

415874738_ScreenShot2022-04-06at22_20_02.thumb.png.32abe7e772df70fc058929ea0d01c301.png

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Is there a chance Bailey Rice could make the step up or is he a bit young still?

Only 15 and starring in the Scotland under 17’s. No wonder there are rumours of Rangers and English Premiership clubs sniffing about. 

If does not just affect Motherwell as we know from Gilmour joining Chelsea and Doakes going from Celtic to Liverpool recently.

My point is this. Is there any point of having an Academy ? Will we ever have another Turnbull on our hands ? Most young players with promise leave by the time they are 16/17 such as McAlear and McKinstry. Sure we get a few hundred 000. But if Rice and Miller are the real deal they could be worth £millions in a few years time 🤷‍♂️

I think the current model where the clubs with deep pockets just hoover up young players and farm them out on loans is something we are going to have to accept. I can't see anyone in government, UEFA or FIFA doing anything to upset their cash cow clubs. You don't do stuff to benefit East Fife, Motherwell, Gillingham or Mansfield Town at the expense of Man Utd and Celtic.

Chelsea for example have something like 49 young players out on loan, Gilmour being the most well known up here. This is done in the hope one of two kids make it per year. All they are doing is spreading their bets by leaving behind the 80 kids over 5 age groups model for 500 kids. They just get the extra 400 from the teams further down the chain lured by the big name and bright lights. It is to the detriment of the wee clubs who tend to pick up talent from kids who live local to them.

Gordon Young once shared 10 years ago it was well known that the OF have A & B teams that don't know about each other. Their parents are told to report for training on different days. Why? to get round the number they could have on the books. Also in this neck of the woods, many a father has been guilty of living vicariously through their child wanting into a players lounge on a Saturday rather than what is best for their kids development.

We've lost McKinstry and MacAleer to it before we got to see them. Hastie, Erwin, Scott, Turnbull and some ginger p***k who does a podcast after only really seeing them for a year max. Allan Campbell is the only one we really got any sort of significant first team payback from. Hastie netted a cool £1m for his 4 year deal. He would have had to stay with us long enough till he got testimonial (and also be consistently good) to earn that at FP.

The game changed when TV started to pay more than the punters tickets, again when Bosman happened. Cash is king and has been for quite a while.

Edited by Kapowzer