Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Maybe just realised what his second name is

Maybe he'll change it again to Justin Stillaluzer 

Tbf to the guy he's no exactly had much of a chance to prove himself, then again maybe he's got nothing there to prove.

Last year I was counting down eagerly to GTF day, this season it's a bit of an anti-climax as two of the three OOC senior guys we'd realistically keep have already signed elsewhere. So there's only really Donnelly left, the rest are surely looking for new clubs.

Summer should be interesting as for the first time in a while - 2018 when Robinson tried to boost the bench? - we're not looking at a rebuild but rather adding only 4-5 'quality' guys who can be an immediate boost. 

10 minutes ago, santheman said:

Maybe he'll change it again to Justin Stillaluzer 

Tbf to the guy he's no exactly had much of a chance to prove himself, then again maybe he's got nothing there to prove.

I've actually quite liked the look of him whenever I've seen him but aye, given we've signed about 6 wingers since he came in it's not looking good.

Aye.

Setting aside the whole 'style'/Alexanderball gripes which, to me, is a separate conversation it feels like this summer should really be about addressing the areas we didn't deal with long term last summer (and dealing with any outgoings ie: Lamie and O'Hara).

Contract-wise this is how it breaks down:

2022 - Morrison, Lamie, O'Connor, Grimshaw, Nirennold, O'Hara, Donnelly, Amaluzor, Roberts
2023 - Fox, O'Donnell, Carroll, Ojala, Johnston, Devine, Cornelius, Goss, Van Veen, Efford, Mahon
2024 - Kelly,  Mugabi, McGinley, Johansen, Maguire, Slattery, Woolery, Shields
2025 - Tierney

At the time it always felt that with someone like Amaluzor he was here to pad out the squad, get us through the Betfred group and then he'd have a year to see if he's the second coming of Marvin Johnson or whatever. It seemed clear that we had two different recruitment threads on the go.

I'd imagine the intention was to treat it in stages. We'd bring in guys like Kelly, Johansen, Slattery etc as long term options last summer and add to that further down the line (as we did subsequently with Tierney).

In terms of goodwill from the fans I'd say we could probably do worse than getting Cornelius an a slightly longer deal.

Edited by capt_oats

My wain's been asking me if she can get a picture with Sol after a game for 3 months. Finally we won so he came over and she got one. Efford was along doing the same thing a bit behind him. Seen Grimmy and Tierney signing stuff while training at half-time too. Nice guys :) Also, is it just me or do Sunday's hit different with 3-points?

41 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye. Sounds unlikely especially as the story is (unsurprisingly) crediting Championship sides with an interest.

Dunno if I've just been conditioned by Robinson's transfer windows but I was surprised to see he's not a 6ft+ brick shithouse...

Edited by capt_oats

I am pretty happy to see Cornelius kicking on in the team. I was worried he'd fizzle out but he absolutely knocks his pan in and more than deserves his place.

Reckon Justin's been told he's getting his jotters and he'll no be the only one. However if I hear anything about improving 12-18 in the summer I'll need sedated.

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Contract-wise this is how it breaks down:

2022 - Morrison, Lamie, O'Connor, Grimshaw, Nirennold, O'Hara, Donnelly, Amaluzor, Roberts
2023 - Fox, O'Donnell, Carroll, Ojala, Johnston, Devine, Cornelius, Goss, Van Veen, Efford, Mahon
2024 - Kelly,  Mugabi, McGinley, Johansen, Maguire, Slattery, Woolery, Shields
2025 - Tierney

Keeper - Only if Kelly has suitors, otherwise nothing to do here

LB - Priority Number 1 for me, 2 players both* unfancied, both here for a few years yet, still makes me weep thinking of McGinley on the books for another 2 years.

RB - SOD, Mugabi and Johnston to return, plenty of cover.

Central Defence - Mugabi, Sol, Ojala ... I'd try to come to an agreement to save that wage, ideally two players who are good enough that Sol becomes a backup. O'Connor will I guess be based on feedback from QotS. I'd bite someones hand off for a pair of Hartley's.

Midfield - Slattery and Cornelius are now my shoe ins. Another quality starter in the summer would be on my wish list. Pushes the likes of Goss further down the pecking order. I'd just like to win more midfield battles over a season which I think we're looking back to McCall as the last time it happened.

Forwards - Ideally someone to compete with KVV for a start, also to make up for his 3 stealth games to 1 decent one ratio. Woolery and Shields are here for a while, Efford, you'd like to see a bit more from him. Tierney to feature more once the steak and Guinness diet kicks in.

So 5 players on my wishlist maybe a tall order as we already have 20 on the books for 2022-23. However I'd easily cull 4 to 5 of those already contracted as not good enough even as squad players.

I think guys like Ojala and Carroll may be encouraged if they wish to play first team elsewhere, we'll come to an agreement.

You'd hope the young guys on buttons, a few may step up and be in regular contention (Johnston, Devine, Mahon, Tierney). 

Edited by Kapowzer

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Keeper - Only if Kelly has suitors, otherwise nothing to do here

LB - Priority Number 1 for me, 2 players both* unfancied, both here for a few years yet, still makes me weep thinking of McGinley on the books for another 2 years.

RB - SOD, Mugabi and Johnston to return, plenty of cover.

Central Defence - Mugabi, Sol, Ojala ... I'd try to come to an agreement to save that wage, ideally two players who are good enough that Sol becomes a backup. O'Connor will I guess be based on feedback from QotS. I'd bite someones hand off for a pair of Hartley's.

Midfield - Slattery and Cornelius are now my shoe ins. Another quality starter in the summer would be on my wish list. Pushes the likes of Goss further down the pecking order. I'd just like to win more midfield battles over a season which I think we're looking back to McCall as the last time it happened.

Forwards - Ideally someone to compete with KVV for a start, also to make up for his 3 stealth games to 1 decent one ratio. Woolery and Shields are here for a while, Efford, you'd like to see a bit more from him. Tierney to feature more once the steak and Guinness diet kicks in.

So 5 players on my wishlist maybe a tall order as we already have 20 on the books for 2022-23. However I'd easily cull 4 to 5 of those already contracted as not good enough even as squad players.

I think guys like Ojala and Carroll may be encouraged if they wish to play first team elsewhere, we'll come to an agreement.

You'd hope the young guys on buttons, a few may step up and be in regular contention (Johnston, Devine, Mahon, Tierney). 

That's basically my shortlist as well though I'd be willing to hold off on the centre back initially to see if DOC steps up or if Ojala can be patched up.

Alexander playing SOD on the left is hopefully a recognition he's completely ballsed up there and needs a new LB. 

We have enough bodies in the middle, I'd be spending a fair whack of what we have to invest on a six which is the obvious lack, especially as I'm hoping we punt Donnelly.

Striker/forward is needed if we want to challenge higher up the league but is probably lowest priority as we could kind of muddle on without whereas the other positions are game-losers atm.

Though if we do manage to shuffle some contracts players off the books things could change.

8 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Forwards - Ideally someone to compete with KVV for a start, also to make up for his 3 stealth games to 1 decent one ratio.

When you consider the service and support he’s been getting at times recently, I actually think Van Veen has been pretty decent ever since he came back into the team.

He was excellent and scored against Aberdeen in the cup. He ragdolled big Dec with one arm to set up O’Hara’s equaliser the following week. He created our two best chances against County only for Shields and Woolery to fluff their lines. He set up Efford’s goal against Dundee. He scored and had our only other effort on target in Perth.  

Then on Saturday he gave a textbook performance in leading the line. Set up two and played a big part in another. If he’d tucked that chance away at the end instead of hitting the Cooper stand roof it would have been a just about as good a display as you could expect at our level. 

He’s far from perfect and he certainly won’t perform at that level every week but if you get the ball into his feet/chest and get runners off him he’ll do a decent job. Launch aimless 40 yards balls at him with little in the way of support and like most players he’ll struggle. 

For all the hype Watt was getting the first half of the season, KVV is now only a goal behind him and doing it for a fraction of the money Tony was looking for. 

6 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

For all the hype Watt was getting the first half of the season, KVV is now only a goal behind him and doing it for a fraction of the money Tony was looking for. 

Other than the obligatory goal against us, has Watt actually scored since he left for United?

12 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Other than the obligatory goal against us, has Watt actually scored since he left for United?

No.

He does seem to be playing fine from what I've seen but very much back to last season's form rather than the last few months. I guess it depends on United's overall budget whether he's deemed a worthwhile investment...certainly if he's been a regular starter as they've changed from being rubbish and struggling for the top six to rubbish but reaching Europe, it's hard to say it's not been worth it short-term at least.

Agree completely on KVV, he's obviously got his flaws but the notion anyone can look at our team and his contribution since January and think he's one of our biggest problems is mental.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

19 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

11 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

No.

He does seem to be playing fine from what I've seen but very much back to last season's form rather than the last few months. I guess it depends on United's overall budget whether he's deemed a worthwhile investment...certainly if he's been a regular starter as they've changed from being rubbish and struggling for the top six to rubbish but reaching Europe, it's hard to say it's not been worth it short-term at least.

From what I gather he seems to be the Tony Watt of his early time with us, in that the United fans feel he's their best player, but he's doing all the hard work back around the halfway line so not getting amongst the goals. All depends on what United thought they were buying really, The Watt before or after Alexanders "chat" telling him to play further up the pitch and be more selfish.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Agree completely on KVV, he's obviously got his flaws but the notion anyone can look at our team and his contribution since January and think he's one of our biggest problems is mental.

Lot of heavy lifting from what has been posted to suggest anyone thinks he is one of our biggest problems. He has an ability to drift out of having an impact as he quite often did in the first half of the season. This is when we were getting results evidenced by looking at his involvement on any stats website and my recollection of him. Even after we changed our tactics after the Sevco at home to retain more possession and concede less territory which would suit his game more. 

I suspect Roberts will be off so I'll reiterate I wouldn't mind someone to challenge for the spot and keep KVV on his toes because he does have a noticeable tendency to be inconsistent in his contribution but on his day he is very capable. Watt was on course of a 20 goal season which is the holy grail at our level and that would be on my wishlist. To give an example, Louis in his 2.5 seasons with us was 18, 18, 14 (half season).

As for Hartley, he had his deficiencies mostly around pace but marshalled his defence well, could read the game and was pretty solid when he had Kipre (whom he coached through games) and Aldred beside him to make up for the speed he lacked.

6 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Lot of heavy lifting from what has been posted to suggest anyone thinks he is one of our biggest problems. He has an ability to drift out of having an impact as he quite often did in the first half of the season. This is when we were getting results evidenced by looking at his involvement on any stats website and my recollection of him. Even after we changed our tactics after the Sevco at home to retain more possession and concede less territory which would suit his game more. 

I suspect Roberts will be off so I'll reiterate I wouldn't mind someone to challenge for the spot and keep KVV on his toes because he does have a noticeable tendency to be inconsistent in his contribution but on his day he is very capable. Watt was on course of a 20 goal season which is the holy grail at our level and that would be on my wishlist. To give an example, Louis in his 2.5 seasons with us was 18, 18, 14 (half season).

Aye, was including the views of some of my own circle (largely formed from his inconsistent first half) rather than exclusively on here. This is just a feeling but I suspect KVV will raise his game when given the responsibility of being the main striker, I think part of his earlier struggles were fitness/injury related but also that we didn't get the best out of him when Watt was so obviously billed as the main man.

We'll never know if Watt would have made 20 had he stayed but I have my doubts...it's such an incredibly rare thing for us. I think it's only happened twice in my time (Higdon and Sutton) and before that in the top-flight I think the last one to do it was Pettigrew.