Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It's a bit like the Only an Excuse (?) sketch from Rangers winning the league in 2005 - the fans had a banner with 'we kept believing' but when they walked off you could see 'McLeish out' on the back.

Fluke a result week and this has been - factually - a good season regardless of it being a missed chance, awful to watch etc.

Shit the nest again (which I fully expect) and it's been a missed chance, awful to watch etc and the manager is struggling to justify not being binned in summer.

It's a remarkable state, even more so that the same applies to literally everyone fourth through 10th, though obviously United and St Mirren now need spectacular results to swing from one side to another.

Despite winning yesterday and me getting this watch Sportscene for the first time in months, that defence was a shambles and needs sorted. A decent team would have taken us to the cleaners. 

Nice of Ricki Lamie to remind us all that he is still definitely mince. 

I thought the goals we lost while they could definitely have been defended better, were also a bit unlucky. 

O’Donnell does well to read the danger and tuck in but needs to put more height in his header for the first. Even still, the ball ricochet's off him and Sol 4 times before landing right at the feet of Brophy. Even the 2nd while I think Kelly has to be stronger, Sol heads it off Cornelius back and it drops right to the foot of a St Mirren player who’s a yard out.

Alexander often gets criticised for being overly negative, where as yesterday we seemed much more open and as a result looked susceptible at times to being caught on the break(see the first goal). You can’t have it all ways and personally I’d rather see us win 4-2 than 1-0 so I had no real problem with how we approached yesterday. 

Even his subs were positive, there was no bringing off of a forward for another defender and sitting back for the last 20 mins. He chucked on Tierney and we went in search of more goals. 

Yesterday was far from perfect, it actually quite chaotic at times but at least it was exciting and enjoyable. It was only one game but between Slattery starting, to ditching the pointless long throws and actually scoring some goals it certainly felt like a step in the right direction. 

Edited by Casagolda

10 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

A lot quieter in here tonight than it could have been, can you imagine the scenes?

I was enjoying a win. Forgot how cathartic it can be.

9 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I'm kinda new here, but I'm guessing Captain Saintsible is a bit of a weird egg...?!

I stoopitly responded to a post, but I quickly realised there was a difference of, erm, mindsets.

Aye he's a bit of a "character". Used to go by Captain Sensible if it is the same person folk are suggesting.

2 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Yesterday was far from perfect, it actually quite chaotic at times but at least it was exciting and enjoyable. It was only one game but between Slattery starting, to ditching the pointless long throws and actually scoring some goals it certainly felt like a step in the right direction. 

I'm 100% with this. Much more entertaining

27 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I thought the goals we lost while they could definitely have been defended better, were also a bit unlucky. 

O’Donnell does well to read the danger and tuck in but needs to put more height in his header for the first. Even still, the ball ricochet's off him and Sol 4 times before landing right at the feet of Brophy. Even the 2nd while I think Kelly has to be stronger, Sol heads it off Cornelius back and it drops right to the foot of a St Mirren player who’s a yard out.

Alexander often gets criticised for being overly negative, where as yesterday we seemed much more open and as a result looked susceptible at times to being caught on the break(see the first goal). You can’t have it all ways and personally I’d rather see us win 4-2 than 1-0 so I had no real problem with how we approached yesterday. 

Even his subs were positive, there was no bringing off of a forward for another defender and sitting back for the last 20 mins. He chucked on Tierney and we went in search of more goals. 

Also 100% on this.

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Despite winning yesterday and me getting this watch Sportscene for the first time in months, that defence was a shambles and needs sorted. A decent team would have taken us to the cleaners. 

Nice of Ricki Lamie to remind us all that he is still definitely mince. 

Some seriously clown shoes defending at both sides of the park yesterday which made for a very open, chaotic, and entertaining game. 

Big Sol is a more than capable defender, but his decision making on the ball lately has been woeful. I don't know if there's a glitch in his brain to make him suddenly think he's prime Baresi, but the number of times he has an easy option on, but instead does his daft wee pirouette with an opposing player bearing down and ends up hoofing it into the stand under pressure is mental. He got away with it a few times yesterday but it's going to end up costing us. Back to basics ffs big man. 

Like most, left the ground feeling relatively entertained for the first time in god knows how long. Next week it's in our own hands, let's see how we can contrive to completely f**k it. 

45 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I was more annoyed at Slattery and Lamie (I think) not closing down the cross for the first goal.

Three players headed out to the boy on the wing then like a flock of starlings they simultaneously swooped back towards the box then realised they had fucked it.

45 minutes ago, DosserDel said:

Some seriously clown shoes defending at both sides of the park yesterday which made for a very open, chaotic, and entertaining game. 

Big Sol is a more than capable defender, but his decision making on the ball lately has been woeful. I don't know if there's a glitch in his brain to make him suddenly think he's prime Baresi, but the number of times he has an easy option on, but instead does his daft wee pirouette with an opposing player bearing down and ends up hoofing it into the stand under pressure is mental. He got away with it a few times yesterday but it's going to end up costing us. Back to basics ffs big man. 

Like most, left the ground feeling relatively entertained for the first time in god knows how long. Next week it's in our own hands, let's see how we can contrive to completely f**k it. 

Sol and Goss seem to be looking for the perfect pass and if they don’t see it they turn away.  Sometimes you have to give the forwards an opportunity to battle for the ball, trust that they will win some.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I stupidly want to go to Livi now.

Bought my ticket last night towards the bottom of the wine bottle.  It is in my phone’s wallet, tech being used as it should.

Three players headed out to the boy on the wing then like a flock of starlings they simultaneously swooped back towards the box then realised they had fucked it.
Perhaps a symptom of unfamiliarity? The constant rotation can't help players' understanding of one another.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Aye, after months of being "total dugshite and losing", I'll take a "much room for improvement and a win" any day. The trick now is to at least maintain that new and slightly better performance baseline, and ideally build it on going forwards. It certainly can't do the team's confidence any harm, and it never hurts morale to score 4 and smack another one off the crossbar.

I guess the club have a duty of care and no doubt have an agreement with the PFA to advise players who they have no plans to retain. With the gameweek 38 being the 14/15th of May and that being 6 weeks away, that sounds like a sort of number they'd use ....

Well, all the best Justin ..... you going to Ross County or St Mirren pal?