Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The Slattery thing is something that's just grown arms and legs.

Is it possible there's been a fall-out? Sure. I'd imagine there are fall outs at pretty much every fitba club going.

Has he been frozen out? No.

He's been in every match day squad since the break and made an appearance off the bench as recently as the Dundee game on 5th March.

For a bit of context, his last start was the 2-0 loss at Tannadice on the 9th of February. He was subbed off after 63 mins. He had started 3 of the previous 4 before that (started against Hearts, St Mirren and Celtic. Came off the bench against Morton in the SC).

Our next game he started on the bench and...we won. It was February 12th and it was the 2-1 in the Cup against Aberdeen. He was on the bench against Aberdeen (1-1) and Rangers (2-2).

The starting midfield in both of the b2b Aberdeen games was Donnelly, O'Hara, Goss. The Rangers game Goss dropped out for Cornelius so it was Donnelly, O'Hara, Cornelius.

The County and Dundee games it was back to Donnelly, O'Hara, Goss.

Hear me out here as it's a wild shout but is it possible that Alexander wasn't happy with Slattery in the United game, gave someone else a shot to start, we got a positive result out it so he's rightly or wrongly went with other options in the team while sections of our support fall over themselves to get their tinfoil hats out?

I think this is fair and it's definitely been blown out of proportion a bit but it still is something I've got a bee in my bonnet about. 

I could almost accept Slattery disappearing from the squad and would probably assume he'd done something grossly unacceptable to merit it. As it is it feels like our (IMO) best midfielder has been demoted to the bench for either petty personal reasons or another one of GA's weird footballing decisions. 

I'm leaning entirely into baseless speculation here but the "official" AGM version of events strikes me as a half truth from Alexander at best.

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think this is fair and it's definitely been blown out of proportion a bit but it still is something I've got a bee in my bonnet about. 

I could almost accept Slattery disappearing from the squad and would probably assume he'd done something grossly unacceptable to merit it. As it is it feels like our (IMO) best midfielder has been demoted to the bench for either petty personal reasons or another one of GA's weird footballing decisions. 

I'm leaning entirely into baseless speculation here but the "official" AGM version of events strikes me as a half truth from Alexander at best.

This is actually pretty much where I am tbh.

Like I say, both things can be true. He can have annoyed Alexander and been benched but also we actually won a game (remember when that was a thing) without him in the team so I can see why Alexander would give those 3 a run in the side (which he did).

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Has he been frozen out? No.

He's been in every match day squad since the break and made an appearance off the bench as recently as the Dundee game on 5th March.

You lost me at this bit.

"Frozen out" is of course the extreme, Polworth being a prime example of it. "Sidelined" would maybe be a better word to describe, using that can you deny it?

I don't know how anyone can claim he's not been sidelined, case in point ..... Ibrox where everyone and their granny was used including guys out the picture for months. The other side of Christmas he would be 3rd on every one of our teamsheets behind Kelly and Tony, potentially 4th if KVV did one keepy-uppy and a dink the week before.

His continued bench warming and cameos would be justified if those picked ahead of him were there on merit but to anyone watching week after week that doesn't seem to be the case. When he came on against Dundee he was playing balls on the deck to feet. As a supporter of a club in a dire run and seeing long ball hoofs as not working. That gives me hope that the management see what a lot of us in the stands did and take that on board at the next outing .... but up to Perth, no start and only one sub featured.

I don't think he's the key to turning things around but his exclusion is endemic of the rot since Boxing Day. For me he offers a chance though and in the "can't be any worse than _____" camp.

Many were keen for Carroll to come in and answer McGinley's deficiencies and clangers, he didn't take up the challenge and leaves that position as a "meh" of lesser of two evils. I don't see Slattery as a direct comparison to this however.

One thing from the AGM, Grezza places a lot of emphasis on the stats from personnel starting on the pitch for results, win or lose.

2 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I don't know how anyone can claim he's not been sidelined, case in point ..... Ibrox where everyone and their granny was used including guys out the picture for months. The other side of Christmas he would be 3rd on every one of our teamsheets behind Kelly and Tony, potentially 4th if KVV did one keepy-uppy and a dink the week before.

His continued bench warming and cameos would be justified if those picked ahead of him were there on merit but to anyone watching week after week that doesn't seem to be the case. When he came on against Dundee he was playing balls on the deck to feet. As a supporter of a club in a dire run and seeing long ball hoofs as not working. That gives me hope that the management see what a lot of us in the stands did and take that on board at the next outing .... but up to Perth, no start and only one sub featured.

I don't think he's the key to turning things around but his exclusion is endemic of the rot since Boxing Day. For me he offers a chance though and in the "can't be any worse than _____" camp.

Many were keen for Carroll to come in and answer McGinley's deficiencies and clangers, he didn't take up the challenge and leaves that position as a "meh" of lesser of two evils. I don't see Slattery as a direct comparison to this however.

One thing from the AGM, Grezza places a lot of emphasis on the stats from personnel starting on the pitch for results, win or lose.

Tbh, I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Also...

Subs again.  We can have a midfield with Slattery in it and one without him in the same game. Compare and contrast.  As long as judgement is used to manage the change.

The words at the AGM were fine but a couple of weeks out the team would have been fine.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Also...

If you go back to my AGM summary you will see that I conveyed there was genuine affection for Bevis. Granted under Alexander's coaching he has progressed and I'm sure he is appreciative of that. When one guy questioned internationalist SOD being benched it was quickly pointed out the wins with Bevis at RB and how he was also an internationalist. A few players have also plateaued, stalled or regressed under Grezza too.

The other factor in play here is character. I can't speak for either but in MFCTV spots, Bevis comes across as a very affable, popular laid back guy, he never seems to get overly riled up. Slattery has had precious few bits to camera. Certainly no contract extensions to get a one-on-one. Based on that, does anyone seriously think Slattery would extend his stay if he didn't have two years to run on his current deal?

He has came from a youth setup with a good track record of promotion (ironically same as Bevis just a few age groups apart). Played at various England national youth levels and does put himself about a bit. Did he arrive in Scotland with a degree of gallus thinking he'd walk it? ..... who knows, wouldn't have been the first if he had.

I think you'd struggle to find many who would disagree that Grezza is an authoritarian, stubborn, uncompromising and loses his shit more than most. Those can be negative or positive on how its channeled.

If he did say something, it may have been fully justified. Certainly based on some of the possession, territory and unneeded pressure we conceded in the first half, the crazy stuff we've seen in the second and the eye watering stuff we've witnessed week in and out since Grezza arrived, nothing different from on here or the terraces.

Like everything in life however, a lot would be dependant on the delivery, timing, audience and context as well as Slattery being relatively new in the door.

Edited by Kapowzer

I did not see "Anywhere across the front 3" in that. Colour me surprised!

Although, "steps needed toward becoming a first team player" looks like he'll be on the bench beside former teammate Tierney, for a while anyway. Less the boost we need now and more potential replacement for Roberts when his deal ends in summer?

I hope the guy comes in and shows promise to get an extension. But at 18 and with less experience than Tierney who has been nowhere near the team these past few games you do wonder 🤷‍♂️.

Back to league business. I am pretty sure that most of us will turn up at Fir Park on Saturday and team selection and tactics will be as previous weeks. I read that for the St Mirren v DDee Utd game Tam Courts made changes at HT. Because United were poor in the 1st half. They dominated second half and ended up winning the game. Now I am and was sceptical of Courts appointment. Reminded me of Cathro.

My point being that this is a Manager with less experience than GA. We could absolutely go into our 12th league game looking for 1st win in 2022. And it will be same as previous 11 where we have been largely poor. 

I am genuinely puzzled and saddened that he seems to think doing the same thing over and over again will yield different results. 

Edited by welldaft

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

I am pretty sure that most of us will turn up at Fir Park on Saturday and team selection and tactics will be as previous weeks.

The most fun I get out of this team is that hour before kick off when I get to try to work out what the f**k we're playing at.