Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Lasley would give me the absolute fear. That game at Accies when he was in charge was the worst of the worst.

To be fair, I’ve always been against Las getting the job. I thought like Goodwin, if he wanted to be manager at the club where he was held in high regard, his best bet was to go away and prove himself down the leagues then get the job on merit, rather than chance.

However, that Accies game in question, I feel is harsh to judge him by. I don’t think you could really look at who was available to him that day and see much different. No manager could have compensated for how Chapman played that day.

I’m actually at the stage where I don’t think giving him it is a bad idea. This time I think a lot of our better players aren’t playing - Woolery, Slattery etc.

I get absolutely nothing from watching us these days. The results are shite and there’s barely even a passage of play that’s exciting to watch, never mind an entire game.

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Hate to break it to you all. With a 3 year contract Alexander is going nowhere. To pay him and Lucketti off would cost the club somewhere in the region of £500,000 - 750,000 unless there is a clause stating otherwise.  It looks misjudged now but no one was complaint when it was handed out. Back then we all thought there was a chance he may be approached for a bigger job.

The collapse since Xmas has been jaw dropping. We actually played some decent football last year. Not a lot admittedly but at least some. Now it is like Groundhog Day. I still think we have been unlucky last few games but when all is said and done there apears to be absolutely no plan to address the rot. Just more of the same in terms of team selection and tactics. That is the real and overriding worry. 11 league games without a win and the answer is to keep persevering with same formation, line up and negative tactics. 

We may yet make top 6 but right now it looks more likely the play off place is more realistic. 

I will go to St Mirren at home but right now I can see it far enough. 

I hope our CEO and Board are asking the Manager some searching questions although I doubt it sadly….

Where you getting the £500,000 - £750, 000 figure from? 

Edited by Londonwell

That’s us on the longest winless run of any team in the division this season. Well done everybody involved. 

It may well be expensive to sack him it what is the price of relegation?

Shocking decision to award him a contract extension on the back of nothing more than a decent start.

11 games without a league win. 1 win in 14 in all competitions. The worst ineffective hoofball we’ve ever seen with the most scattergun atrocious selection approach to match. The “Alexander season 2” deserves to now take the “Malpas season” trophy when referencing the worst side in living memory. It’s truly mining new lows in every way imaginable. 

Worst decision of all though was not pushing the boat out for Tony Watt. I’m not saying we could’ve/should’ve given him what Utd were offering but at least parity with Kelly or our top offer plus whatever we ended up paying the useless Efford.

2 rotten seasons in a row and incredible as it would’ve seem at Christmas we are about to get sucked into the play off fight such is the speed of our tail spin. 

Stephen Robinson to come back to Fir Park and get rid of his successor?

Just remember that this team is effectively the same as the team from the beginning of the season (Watt outstanding).

The tactics are terrible. We have 5 subs but we only use one and its always in the 75+ minute. What chance does Woolery have to make an impact at that time? The 60 minute at the latest is what I would suggest.

O'donnells lumps up the pitch after taking 10seconds or so pondering on the meaning of life. Then the ball just goes put for a goalkick.

Defending has been dreadful with simple clearances being headers upwards, right back to oppoments or giving them chances. There was so many times where 4 motherwell players were surrounding a St Johnstone player and didn't make a tackle. Also the first goal, Kelly might have done better but how do you let someone just get in front of you like that? I can't even blame mcginley this time since he wasn't even in the starting XI. 

Honestly  It will be a miracle if we win a game before the end of the season. We played 3 games against teams below us in a row. We got 1 point out of the 9 avilable.

He's clearly not going to turn it around.  The only incentive I can see to keeping him is to save a few months worth of payout when we inevitably sack him in October rather than now.

I'm not a lawyer but hopefully the club can use this episode to insert a "don't turn into an incompetent fucking dick" break clause in future managerial contracts.

Motherwell board has a big decision to make here. After the original bounce of the Alexander reign it has become a fucking farce.

I personally don’t think we will go down this year (🙏). But do the board stick by this guy in the hope that things get better next season or do they act now considering the growing amount of evidence that he is not good enough ? 

34 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Shocking decision to award him a contract extension on the back of nothing more than a decent start.

To be fair we were joint bottom when he took over last January, we finished the year in 4th having taken more points than any non Old Firm team in 2021. Whatever you think of Alexander, he done an excellent job last year and a contract extension in January was hardly unmerited imho. 

As for the here and now, yeah today was probably the tipping point for me. We made a decent start, got the early goal etc all the things we ‘needed’ against a team at the bottom of the table and there was still no improvement. The largest and probably most expensive Motherwell squad assembled for some time and he used 1 of his 5 available subs today(with 10 mins to go) despite an insipid 2nd half display. 

When he took over, I felt Alexander done a good job getting a tune out of a poor and fairly limited squad. Now, on paper anyway, he has a pretty decent looking squad with plenty of options at least and he’s suffocating the life out of it. His stubbornness and negativity has driven him to this point and I don’t think he can have anyone to blame but himself.

His previous 3 jobs all started well but ended up with him eventually getting sacked and I’m starting to think it’s not a coincidence. 

I’ll be at the St Mirren game purely out of habit and the fact I have a ST but there is nothing about us right now that excites me and if the club don’t act tonight then there’s absolutely no chance he will be gone after St Mirren.

If (when) we don’t get top 6 and he’s still here at the end of the season then ST sales should be very interesting.

1 minute ago, ZX1886 said:

I’ll be at the St Mirren game purely out of habit and the fact I have a ST but there is nothing about us right now that excites me and if the club don’t act tonight then there’s absolutely no chance he will be gone after St Mirren.

If (when) we don’t get top 6 and he’s still here at the end of the season then ST sales should be very interesting.

We need to vote with our wallets if he is still here at the end of season even if we stay up. He would get football banned the weapon. Get him in the bin asap 🗑 

We need to vote with our wallets if he is still here at the end of season even if we stay up. He would get football banned the weapon. Get him in the bin asap [emoji1005] 

He SHOULD be gone tonight but the board are in a really hard position so don’t expect it to happen.

It’s definitely the worst football I’ve ever seen us play, alongside that of Robinson’s team last season.
I’ll still buy a ST next season but the chances of me going to every home game will be very low and the chance of me making an effort to go to more away games will be zero. That’s all on Alexander.

It's a rare thing that we're so pish for so long yet the players aren't getting much flack. Rightly so IMO. There seems to be a consensus that we've got a decent squad, it's just not being used well. I can only imagine the players, with belief in themselves, will be starting to think along the same lines and fora  manager that's a dangerous thing for their future. I imagine plenty in the squad will be as frustrated and baffled as we all are and there's bound to be a tipping point where the faith in the manager is gone and can't be won back. If his pre and post match nonsense served to us is the same as what's peddled out to the players on the training field and in the dressing room then I can't imagine the squad is far off that point just now. 

4 minutes ago, CoF said:

It's a rare thing that we're so pish for so long yet the players aren't getting much flack. Rightly so IMO. There seems to be a consensus that we've got a decent squad, it's just not being used well. I can only imagine the players, with belief in themselves, will be starting to think along the same lines and fora  manager that's a dangerous thing for their future. I imagine plenty in the squad will be as frustrated and baffled as we all are and there's bound to be a tipping point where the faith in the manager is gone and can't be won back. If his pre and post match nonsense served to us is the same as what's peddled out to the players on the training field and in the dressing room then I can't imagine the squad is far off that point just now. 

Don’t get me wrong, some of our players are either rotten or won’t do but the manager is 100% the main problem.

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Bit odd that the floodlights are on, nah?

I just can't see the board sacking him given he's got most of his new 3 year deal to run and is still able to get us top 6 football.

Don't get me wrong...I'd like it to happen as the football and results are dire. But just can't see it 

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

That’s us on the longest winless run of any team in the division this season. Well done everybody involved. 

It may well be expensive to sack him it what is the price of relegation?

11 games without a league win. 1 win in 14 in all competitions. The worst ineffective hoofball we’ve ever seen with the most scattergun atrocious selection approach to match. The “Alexander season 2” deserves to now take the “Malpas season” trophy when referencing the worst side in living memory. It’s truly mining new lows in every way imaginable. 

Worst decision of all though was not pushing the boat out for Tony Watt. I’m not saying we could’ve/should’ve given him what Utd were offering but at least parity with Kelly or our top offer plus whatever we ended up paying the useless Efford.

2 rotten seasons in a row and incredible as it would’ve seem at Christmas we are about to get sucked into the play off fight such is the speed of our tail spin. 

Didn’t need to push the boat out for Watt, he was under contract for six more months