Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, William Williams said:

Will mugabis suspension not only apply to the Scottish Cup games next season and not to the league games?

I think the rules are slightly different for a violent conduct / serious foul play but I'm not 100% sure. 

I remember the time Lasley snapped Fraser Fyvie in the cup quarter final, he missed the two league games after that.

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Just out of interest, was that a record for earliest sending off in the Scottish Cup? Can’t be many close. 

It must have come pretty close to when Sam Goodwin was sent off for Well against Partick Thistle at Fir Park in the 70's. I seem to recall that one quoted as around 55 seconds. 

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I said up there that I was raging at Mugabi for making the tackle and raging at Alexander for putting a centre half on the wing, but in truth raging was just a figure of speech. I'd probably rather be raging with us just now but I'm so alarmingly apathetic. It's concerning when you're weighing up whether you're more annoyed at going out of the cup, or wasting a few hours of your Sunday.

I've missed four home league games this season within my control (missed the Livi one too, but given I lost the ballot and ended up isolating anyway I probably wouldn't count that) plus the Morton and Aberdeen cup games. Just at that point where those around me are all growing up and there's weddings / stags / christenings etc on Saturdays.  I'm actually questioning the value of getting a season ticket next season, other than supporting the club financially. 

Obviously, the club have been great the past couple of seasons in terms of what they've done for fans with them - but if I get a season ticket next season, it will be an emotional decision and certainly not a financial decision. 

What this season is now really reminding me of is the second half of the season with Malpas in charge. After 28 league games, we were in 8th place and 16 points ahead of Dunfermline, yet we still got dragged in to a relegation fight. After 28 games this season, we were in 7th place, but only 12 points clear of St. Johnstone in the play-off. Fortunately, we've now played 30 games and St. Johnstone haven't made up any ground on us. I think it's probably very dramatic to suggest that we will end up down there, but with each game we play tombola and don't win...

I think from the second half of last season, where Robbie Crawford and Tyler Magloire were regularly starting games, despite a significant investment in the team, we've gone considerably backwards. Maybe Alexander is the type of manager that's good with players he inherits, but not great at signing people. A bit like Alex McLeish, how he was successful with Tommy McLean's team at Motherwell, successful with Advocaat's at Rangers and Smith's at Scotland, but when he has to bring his own players in, it goes to shit.

Your point about the Malpas season is what’s got me worried.

It might be a 12 point gap over St Johnstone at the moment but if they beat us on Saturday, and they will, it’s down to 9. If they win another game before the split and we don’t, which we won’t, it’s down to 6.

Beat us post split and it’s down to 3…..

On our current form for me it’s not even remotely out with the realms of possibility. 

Our current form is we draw half our league games and lose the other half, if that continues for the remaining eight games we'll have 40 points. St Johnstone would then need to be unbeaten in their last eight (four wins, four draws) to overtake us on goal difference, lose just once (W5 D2 L1) or twice (with W6 D0 L2).

Impossible? No. But highly unlikely.

The only way we'll be in any danger is if we actually manage to get worse in the next eight games than we've been in the last 10. Dunno if that's a comforting thought or not...

Edited by Handsome_Devil

11 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Your point about the Malpas season is what’s got me worried.

It might be a 12 point gap over St Johnstone at the moment but if they beat us on Saturday, and they will, it’s down to 9. If they win another game before the split and we don’t, which we won’t, it’s down to 6.

Beat us post split and it’s down to 3…..

On our current form for me it’s not even remotely out with the realms of possibility. 

Agree. We should  be safe at the very least, and the positive/hopeful among the support will still harbour hopes of an unlikely tilt at the European places. Let's hope by some miracle that's how things pan out.

However, if I'm sitting on a jury being presented with the evidence and statistics of the last few months, then a Malpas season or Terry Butcher's Hibs-esque death spiral is far from beyond reasonable doubt.

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Our current form is we draw half our league games and lose the other half, if that continues for the remaining eight games we'll have 40 points. St Johnstone would then need to be unbeaten in their last eight (four wins, four draws) to overtake us on goal difference, lose just once (W5 D2 L1) or twice (with W6 D0 L2).

Impossible? No. But highly unlikely.

😂

We're 12pts behind you with 8 games left, one of which is against Celtic.

We've won 5 games all season.

You genuinely think there's any chance we're winning 5/6 of our next 8 games?

Not really, no.

But it's not impossible 🙂

There have been a couple of times teams have gone mental post split to save themselves though has there not? You can imagine that whoever of the lot chasing the top six don't make it will effectively down tools and look to next season as Aberdeen already seem to be doing.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

😂

We're 12pts behind you with 8 games left, one of which is against Celtic.

We've won 5 games all season.

You genuinely think there's any chance we're winning 5/6 of our next 8 games?

I reckon the chances are between slim and f**k all but I also think there's a more than solid chance we'll finish 10th.

Fortunately I'm away this weekend so I won't inadvertently subject myself to watching the game but I look forward to sticking my head in here after the line up is announced. 

Even my most optimistic opinions are kind of bleak. If(and years a big if) we make it to the top 6, I would count on use getting 6th and therefore end up being the only top 6 side not to qualify for Europe.

Or we end up in the bottom 6 and have to face teams like Hibs and Aberdeen again.

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

There have been a couple of times teams have gone mental post split to save themselves though has there not? 

Yes, but we'd literally have to win every single game. As many wins in 5 games as we've managed in 30.

We're down here for a reason, don't over estimate us and get yourself all worried, we'll be picking up 9/10 points at best in the next 8 games. You'll be miles away from us.

Yes, but we'd literally have to win every single game. As many wins in 5 games as we've managed in 30.
We're down here for a reason, don't over estimate us and get yourself all worried, we'll be picking up 9/10 points at best in the next 8 games. You'll be miles away from us.
9/10 points from 8 games sounds decent when you're on a return of 5 points from 10 games.

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

9/10 points from 8 games sounds decent when you're on a return of 5 points from 10 games.

Every team in the league will have runs like that tbf, unless you're either an OF side or look like finishing 3rd by a distance.

Peaks and troughs is what this division is all about.

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

This is one hell of a trough tbf.

With the knowledge I'm a w****r, your "underlying performances" have always had you around 8th-10th, even when you were flying. I've not looked in depth but having a clinical striker generally pushes clubs beyond themselves so Watt being on fire probably caused that and you're now just regressing to where you "should" be? If that's true then St Mirren have a fun run ahead...

I'd be surprised if you don't win at least once before the split and wouldn't be shocked if you finish 10+ points above 11th by the end.

Bad sides don't have high highs and can't get out the low lows. So far this season you've had a high high, so let's see if you can get out a low low.

Not helped by the tactics there of course. We get 2-0 up and Alexander shuts up shop. Thinking the likes of the 2-2 with St Mirren at Fir Park where we got into a 2-0 lead early in the second half. Takes off Woolery, brings on O'Hara and we lose all momentum and invite them onto us. It's all very risk-averse.

While I understand that point of view, especially when there's so little between the teams in this league, it can also work the other way, and those teams that aren't afraid to take risks and commit players often break away from the rest.

I genuinely think we have (mostly) good enough players to be better than we are, if we would take a few more risks going forward.