Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

34 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

DLS will always have that goal against Aberdeen. And his beautiful long locks.

That was a great moment to (IIRC) seal European fitba (or was Porter's goal the winner that day, can't remember) - I couldn't find a video of it either.

42 minutes ago, Swello said:

That was a great moment to (IIRC) seal European fitba (or was Porter's goal the winner that day, can't remember) - I couldn't find a video of it either.

Pretty sure Smith's goal was the winner that day.  An absolute belter of a thunderstorm after the game as well.  

4 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Or for that matter, as a defensive option what has happened to/is the point of Nirennold? Not seen any word on him being injured, so is he just another one of Alexander's wasted punts that's going to leave in the summer without ever donning the strip, like Eddie Nolan and Mi'chel Parker before him?

Nirennold came on as a sub in the Celtic game? Memorable, obviously. 

27 minutes ago, brainier said:

Nirennold came on as a sub in the Celtic game? Memorable, obviously. 

I knew that was the last time he was mentioned in the matchday squad, never realised he'd actually made it onto the park. Maybe I'd already left by then.

Pretty sure Smith's goal was the winner that day.  An absolute belter of a thunderstorm after the game as well.  
I may be romanticising it in my head but I'm sure I remember the thunderstorm starting shortly after the goal. I'm not religious but that, coming at the end of such a tumultuous season felt like some kind of sign.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

Pre-dates the SPFL, and annoyingly hasn't been digitised as yet. It'll appear roughly 10-15 seconds after it's found.

10 hours ago, well fan for life said:

The fact we've been so unbearably shit since the turn of the year and still could feasibly finish 4th with a cup run is testament to how weird this league is. 

Even with Russia being papped, 4th place won't cut the mustard, just shithouse the Scottish Cup and follow suit in the play-off. Europa pays better than the Conference anyway.

"Scotland’s champs were already almost certain to secure a £40 million jackpot - providing this year’s tournament winners also qualify through their domestic league.

....... But Uefa has now banned Russian clubs’ involvement in their competitions due to the invasion of Ukraine. And that has led to changes in the current access list for the 2022/23 Champions League.

As things stand, Scotland are set to JUMP up a spot - meaning Celtic or Rangers gaining direct entry to the Champions League group stages. The Premiership runners-up would enter the non-champions path at the third qualifying round. This guarantees them group stage continental football via a spot in the Europa Conference League at least.

Scotland will have another three Euro participants - with the Scottish Cup winners entering the Europa League at the play-off round. Two other clubs will start in the second and third qualifying rounds of the Europa Conference League. "

16 hours ago, Gallus Numpty said:

'Flow has confirmed it's a mistake by the PFA, and he hasn't gone anywhere.

Presumably means he's been told he's leaving in the Summer, though.

Likely just filed it with the PFA in advance and they've accidentally put it up now.

That’s plenty for me from Alexander. He can pack his bags and bolt. 

Not just for the no wins in 10 but for the general tombola starting 11 approach, the constant selection of under performing players and/or better players not featuring and the  atrocious eye bleeding ineffective hoofball  garbage we’ve suffered all season. 

We’re going nowhere under him.

It's hard to remain in the camp of being resigned but ho hum he'll be gone in a few months after that.

A bizarre team - as expected.

An eye-watering approach - as expected.

Awful approach to subs - as expected.

Result - pretty much as expected.

It's not even surprising. The principles of backing a manager by giving out three-year deals is great but Alexander is basically a low-grade Jim Gannon. The sooner he's gone the better.

22 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

We’re going nowhere under him.

That's it for me. Not only are we clearly not getting better, working on elements, or improving in some areas, we're actually getting worse, and the players are looking worse.

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

That's it for me. Not only are we clearly not getting better, working on elements, or improving in some areas, we're actually getting worse, and the players are looking worse.

Wasn’t the chat only a few weeks ago about how Lamie, Mugabi, Watt, etc had all improved significantly under him?

I’m not apologising for him, just not buying into revisionist history now the results are no longer as good.

I do think some players have plateaued but that’s probably down to lack of game time, frustration and more scrutiny due to poor results.

The only player who was punished for Wednesday was Carroll and his replacement Lamie was often out of position but what do you expect for a centre half.

Slattery and Tierney were the right options, just way to late to be effective and O’Hara hooked over Donnelly was another clanger. 6 days ago he made a triple substitution at half time.

Regardless the tactics showed no progression from Wednesday and that deserves castigation as you against a team decimated with covid and without their playmaking talisman.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 minute ago, Kapowzer said:

Wasn’t the chat only a few weeks ago about how Lamie, Mugabi, Watt, etc had all improved significantly under him?

Yes and that's still true but is now more than outweighed on the negative column.

Take Mugabi, he improved a lot, got a new deal then got dropped with the exception of when he helped get a point at Ibrox. SOD has replaced him because...? 

And this is not an isolated example, it sums up the approach to the whole team.

If he actually told the fans what was going on he might get a bit more leeway but when he deliberately has the attitude he does at pressers, there's no reason anyone should give him the benefit of the doubt.

I’m not disagreeing with anything you’ve said especially the SOD thing. There is a certain arrogance and no humility to Alexander when it comes to selections and an air of him knowing best.

I didn’t believe the Slattery rationale at the AGM and nothing has changed since.

I don’t think Donnelly has regressed under Alexander, I think he’s never recaptured what he had. He has stuck by him repeatedly which is chronic.

I’ve never seen anything from Goss to suggest he’s anythjg more than mediocre. was the much maligned Crawford much worse?

The issue this year has been too often bypassing the midfield or not having them drop to receive the ball.

Was an instantly noticeable improvement with Slattery and Tierney on , why that wasn't done at least 20 mins sooner is a mystery.  

O'Hara coming off instead of Donnelly , another mystery. Was that before or after Donnelly killed an attack by scuffing the ball out after hitting it with his standing foot ( something that never happened once in my boy's u10s match this morning ) ? 

How SOD has racked up 180 mins this week while Bevis has done a few lengths of the Cooper , total f*cking mystery . 

Chuffed for GI Joe finally getting to officially open his account for us .