Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I've given it the best part of a day to calm down and reflect, and can now give my measured and considered thoughts on last night, the team, the manager, and the season as a whole.

image.png.a29dd1fbd643b8072d2083ddd26e9455.png

That is all, thanks for your attention.

Honestly, that’s exactly the phrase my mum used when I told her I had COVID , the day after I’d visited. 😊

Well  in even sadder news... Frank Conner has passed away.

By complete coincidence I read a story today from Iain McCall talking about when he was a 17 year old and Jock Wallace walked out onto the training pitch and fired two shots into the ground beside Frank Conner who nearly shat himself.

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

I do wonder if we played as we did last night and we got the penalty to win 1-0 the narrative would be the same ?

Absolutely it wouldn't be. But if the manager puts everything on being good because you shitfest a result, he needs to expect criticism of you shitfest a defeat.

Motherwell fans in expecting us to be brilliant shocker. 
We have a bottom 6 budget. But we should be wiping the floor with bottom 6 dross. 
It really is tiresome. 
See if we win Saturday and in the cup. Wankers on here will be out in force NOT. 
We've put together probably our most expensive squad since the Mccall days. No one is saying we should be "wiping the floor" with anyone but we should at least be competing - something we've barely managed for 2 months.

If we turn in pish performance after pish performance while the manager makes baffling decisions with team selections week after week, are fans not entitled to vent their frustration? As a fan I'll obviously be delighted if we beat Dundee and progress in the cup but that doesn't take away from the fact that, results wise, the last couple of months have been nothing short of brutal and a massive opportunity has been missed given that no one else in the league has been much better.

I can see both sides. 

The other night was dire. I can understand where welldaft is coming from in that in isolation, we probably should have taken something from that game.

The problem is it wasn’t a one off and many of the problems are the same ones that have plagued our season since the break. Slow starts. Sloppy goals conceded. Missing good chances. Too many aimless punts. Seemingly random but constant chopping and changing of the team meaning we’re lacking in any sort of consistency or rhythm.   

On the other hand, take a look around the the league. Hibs, Aberdeen, both Dundee clubs etc all have bigger budgets than us and are all equally shite if not worse. None of them are playing good football either. There’s 5 points currently between 4th and 10th. Our problems are very much the leagues problems. 

People certainly have the right to voice their discontent for a product they’re paying good money for. On a basic level, the other night wasn’t good enough. However while we’re sitting 2 points off 4th with 4 games to the split and a win away from Hampden, there’s also absolutely no danger that Alexander is going anywhere. 

Edited by Casagolda

4 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

We've put together probably our most expensive squad since the Mccall days. No one is saying we should be "wiping the floor" with anyone but we should at least be competing - something we've barely managed for 2 months.

How is not competing having 3 x as many shots as Ross County and 60% possession. And in my humble opinion being the better side on Wednesday ? 

I am not happy we are not winning league games. I am not happy with constant tinkering with the team selection. I am not happy with some players performances. 

But as I see it no one is playing us off the park. Except maybe the old firm and even there we came back from 2-0 down at Ibrox. When did we last do that ? 

We did not play that well on Wednesday but we certainly did not get the rub of the green. Now we could lose tomorrow and in the cup 1/4 final. I will then start to accept he season has turned into a bit of a disaster and look at GA contribution to that. 

It is either feast or famine on here, where I think the middle ground is often the answer. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

How is not competing having 3 x as many shots as Ross County and 60% possession. And in my humble opinion being the better side on Wednesday ? 

I am not happy we are not winning league games. I am not happy with constant tinkering with the team selection. I am not happy with some players performances. 

But as I see it no one is playing us off the park. Except maybe the old firm and even there we came back from 2-0 down at Ibrox. When did we last do that

We did not play that well on Wednesday but we certainly did not get the rub of the green. Now we could lose tomorrow and in the cup 1/4 final. I will then start to accept he season has turned into a bit of a disaster and look at GA contribution to that. 

It is either feast or famine on here, where I think the middle ground is often the answer. 

You sound like an awful lot like a lot of the posters on here...

If you're willing to accept that though, because we had 3x as many shots as Ross County, then fair enough.  You're entitled to do so.  I, like a few others it would appear, aren't willing to accept it.  Simply because the level of performance has been consistently bollocks, with seemingly no plan to change it, for the majority of the season.

I think we passed the "middle ground" a good while ago now.  This is getting close to the end game.  Either he has to change things, like Robinson did at the beginning of 2019, or he'll be out on his arse by the end of the season, IMO. 

As for your Ibrox question, we did it in 2011 when coming back from 1-3 to 3-3.

Leaving league positions to the side, I think the one thing we can all agree on, surely,  is that it's a stretch to pass the vast majority of  games so far off as 'entertainment' on any great scale.

The manager is responsible for how he sets the team out to play, but if players being low on confidence is also a factor, then it is also his responsibility to recognise that and take them out of the firing line. O'Donnell among others had a shocker on Wednesday, but he seemed most affected, and it was obvious he wasn't going to recover from a shaky start, so why wasn't he replaced by Mugabi at halftime or shortly after? Or for that matter, as a defensive option what has happened to/is the point of Nirennold? Not seen any word on him being injured, so is he just another one of Alexander's wasted punts that's going to leave in the summer without ever donning the strip, like Eddie Nolan and Mi'chel Parker before him?

As has been said, this is probably the most expensively assembled squad we've had in years with players tied down on longer contracts, and actual cash money being spent to bring some of them in. The club have bought into and invested in Alexander's vision of how we move forward, so unless something drastic happens he's here for the long haul. With the growing apathy as it is amongst the fans though, if the product doesn't improve then some may not stay for the ride. 4th in the table or 10th in the table, it's a hard sell to garner folks' enthusiasm to go along and endure that standard week in week out.

Tbh I still have no idea how the rest of this season will pan out. Anything from 4th to 10th wouldn't surprise me. 

It's easy to say we were only getting results because of Watt earlier in the season- and there is some truth in that.  But Alexander turned us into one of the better teams in the league from January onwards last year with a squad that was essentially Kelly, Campbell and Cole with Watt occasionally doing something on the periphery. I think there's enough evidence from 2021 to suggest that Alexander isn't a completely pish manager, which maybe gives me some hope we might turn it around. 

20 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbh I still have no idea how the rest of this season will pan out. Anything from 4th to 10th wouldn't surprise me. 

It's easy to say we were only getting results because of Watt earlier in the season- and there is some truth in that.  But Alexander turned us into one of the better teams in the league from January onwards last year with a squad that was essentially Kelly, Campbell and Cole with Watt occasionally doing something on the periphery. I think there's enough evidence from 2021 to suggest that Alexander isn't a completely pish manager, which maybe gives me some hope we might turn it around. 

The fact we've been so unbearably shit since the turn of the year and still could feasibly finish 4th with a cup run is testament to how weird this league is. 

FWIW I think Alexander is capable of putting out a team that's enjoyable to watch. I always think back to the 2-0 Hearts game at Fir Park earlier this season which I thoroughly enjoyed. It wasn't silky football but we just completely smothered them with energy, they couldn't deal with it and I had a blast at that game. 

So whilst we're never going to get champagne football under Alexander, from my POV we need to get back to that level of energy and it'll both become more effective and better to watch. Wednesday night was an example for me of what our team looks like when it lacks that energy. We're not exactly a team of ballers so if our game doesn't have pace and power, it looks like it did on Wednesday and our lack of creativity is glaring with the ponderous play and no-one able to pick out any kind of dangerous pass. 

From some of his pre-match interviews, I think his chopping and changing has been an attempt to keep that energy high but as others have pointed out, it has an effect of players not really knowing what's going on so it's been counter productive. Getting a more consistent 11 on the park seems like a good place to start, footballers are fit people so trust them and if they tire during the game, make use of the ludicrous 5 subs you have at your disposal. 

Tony Watt certainly brought a lot to the team in this regard too but don't think he's the main reason it's been missing. I'm not in the Alexander out camp because I don't think the team is a lost cause under him but if the team is lacking that energy that his style relies on to be successful, it's certainly on him to a degree.

2 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Liam Grimshaw is marked as a free agent on the PFA website. Has he been released by the club? Can't see anything official

https://pfascotland.co.uk/player-availability-list/

Sure seems it. He's a technically limited player for sure but I'm not sure he's merited being completely binned out of match day squads. 

Grimshaw was a limited player, no doubt, but he had a cracking performance in him.  Just a shame he never put in a run of consistent performances in the middle of the park.  His best run was probably at right back, which helped him massively to run in straight lines.

His performance against Aberdeen in the 2018 Semi-Final at Hampden was outstanding.  It's very weird that the club haven't announced anything about, if it indeed is true.  Would he have been our longest serving player at this point?