Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

47 minutes ago, Desp said:

Key word in bold there.  

The photo proves nothing.

Dubious penalty was it or was it not doesn’t matter Beaton gave it end off.

All it did was stop him giving a stonewall handball against SOD in the 2nd half 

Some you win some you loose 

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

there is no attempt to alter our play to try to break a team down or do something with the ball. We have some players who are decent in possession and have a bit of guile - last night's approach isn't inevitable based on limited options, it's a choice.

Canny do that with O’hara and Donnelly in our midfield the 2 of them should never be in midfield at the same time … … completely unbalances it as a unit 

4 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Canny do that with O’hara and Donnelly in our midfield the 2 of them should never be in midfield at the same time … … completely unbalances it as a unit 

I think O'Hara and Donnelly can work in the same midfield in certain games but not when the onus is on us to break a team down. GA isn't the first Motherwell manager to deal with this problem but he's arguably got more options than most have had. How do we turn from being a defensive team against bigger, better resourced sides into a more attacking, footballing team against our peers (and clubs with less than us).

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think O'Hara and Donnelly can work in the same midfield in certain games but not when the onus is on us to break a team down. GA isn't the first Motherwell manager to deal with this problem but he's arguably got more options than most have had. How do we turn from being a defensive team against bigger, better resourced sides into a more attacking, footballing team against our peers (and clubs with less than us).

Sorry … … Donnelly is a centre half trying to play in midfield … … and it shows 

Sorry … … Donnelly is a centre half trying to play in midfield … … and it shows 
I've never thought of Donnelly as a centre half. At the moment he looks like a midfielder gubbed by injuries and lacking confidence. As others have mentioned, Alexander's tombola selections won't be doing him any favours and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him link up with Robinson at St Mirren in the summer.

Next 2-3 games could define our season. Fail to beat to Dundee and St Johnstone then we see ourselves looking over our shoulders post-split. But if we can beat Hibs we're back to Hampden for the first time in 4 (?) years.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

On the penalty stuff - it was a penalty by the current interpretation I think - but in any case, my energy to fight our corner there is cancelled out completely by what came after - we weren't robbed last night, we were pish.

I do wonder if we played as we did last night and we got the penalty to win 1-0 the narrative would be the same ?

We were not great. Fair enough. But I will say it again. We were the better team. We looked like we wanted to score and attack. Granted we were 1-0 down. But to have 3x as many shots and have 60% possession I still think it unfair to say we were pish. Ross County have taken 12 points from 21 and based on last night I would say how.

You make your own luck and you make defensive challenges and stop giving away cheap goals. I get that. 

Let’s wait until this weekend and the cup game and then reflect on how well the season has gone. 

On another point - Fans booing in 80 minutes boils my piss. That is going to motivate the team 🤷‍♂️. At least wait until the final whistle. 

5 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

It will all depend on the next 2 games.

Win against Dundee and Hibs and suddenly we are back in the top 6 and in a semi final. Lose both and the season is effectively over. Thankfully that will only be 9 days from now.

Not getting at you, but We’ve been saying this for months.

It was a hard run it was injuries it was form it was Covid it was whatever; we’re just dreadful the now.

It felt like there was some kind of plan, some kind of style at the start of the season, even if it was brutal to some folk. Last night was just aimless and rudderless, and that’s been a consistent theme.

We were not great. Fair enough. But I will say it again. We were the better team.

We were only on the front foot after Ross County scored, up until then we had no interest in attacking and they were by far the better team.
County did what they had to and then they allowed us to have the ball. We created very few good chances (Woolery shot and Roberts header?) with it.

There’s very little about last nights performance that gives me hope going forward. Woolery was decent, that’s it.

On 28/02/2022 at 23:03, ropy said:

Things that have spurred us on to a good run : a pumping from Rangers.

Times when we have underperformed : when we think we are a bit better than we are against seemingly weaker teams

Maybe we should have taken the hit yesterday.

We should have taken the hit 

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

On another point - Fans booing in 80 minutes boils my piss. That is going to motivate the team 🤷‍♂️. At least wait until the final whistle. 

They have 2 options, be weak and retreat into their shells, or use it as a motivational tool to get their fingers out their arses, take a bit of control of the situation and concentrate on doing at least the basics right to get the support back on side.

They're professional sportsmen, paid a decent wage to do a job they presumably dreamt of since childhood. They also know fans showing their displeasure at being short changed (yet again) is part and parcel of the game. They need to have the mental strength to remain focused and do their job.

Plus the fact there was no way I was staying for the full 90mins of that turgid shite, we could still be playing now and have zero goals to show for it. You're too fucking right I was having a boo before I left.

It's my wean's birthday on the 13th of March.

It's also Scottish cup day.

I will be waiting to the day before to decide if I will be spending money on the fitba.

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

They have 2 options, be weak and retreat into their shells, or use it as a motivational tool to get their fingers out their arses, take a bit of control of the situation and concentrate on doing at least the basics right to get the support back on side.

They're professional sportsmen, paid a decent wage to do a job they presumably dreamt of since childhood. They also know fans showing their displeasure at being short changed (yet again) is part and parcel of the game. They need to have the mental strength to remain focused and do their job.

Plus the fact there was no way I was staying for the full 90mins of that turgid shite, we could still be playing now and have zero goals to show for it. You're too fucking right I was having a boo before I left.

Good for you. I want you to have my back when things get tough. 

Motherwell fans in expecting us to be brilliant shocker. 

We have a bottom 6 budget. But we should be wiping the floor with bottom 6 dross. 

It really is tiresome. 

See if we win Saturday and in the cup. Wankers on here will be out in force NOT. 

On SOD, I don't know if I've ever seen a player look so devoid of confidence in a Motherwell shirt. Looks like he doesn't have any belief that he can put a cross in or win a tackle.

To be fair he’s spot on.

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Hear what you’re saying but this epiphany and soul searching you talk about could have been searched for after our exploits in Dingwall, Tynecastle, Tannadice or the Celtic pumping.

This is far from over, we’re -7 GD off top 6 with 12 points to play for. Yes we could have but daylight between us and the rest and have regressed for 2 months. We don’t have any current momentum, but at present only Livvy and last nights opposition do in a league of 12.

Bed wetters on here burning their barcodes while revelling in us nicking wins before Xmas shows many are all sugar or all shite on here which I thought was limited to SOL.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

There is something almost "Tory" about having a go at folk who are upset they are paying a lot of money for poor product.

Educate me for what that means. I am genuinely at a loss.