Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

Are there actually many of Robinson's signings left? The turnover in our squad has been truly mental since he left...

Surprisingly quite a few:

OOC - McGinley, Grimshaw, Donnelly, O'Hara
Contracted - Fox, O'Donnell, Carroll, Mugabi
Pre-contracted - Lamie

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fwiw, I know he's not for everyone but I'd say that he's probably one of those who has a certain value to have around the squad.

There are very few in our squad who I would write off as completely useless but there's only so many bodies you can have around on the margin, even allowing for wanting a larger squad than usual with corona. We just renewed Maguire - fine - and you could make a case for MOH, Donnelly and Grimshaw (to create a group) all having a certain value so each meriting a deal. But if we end up re-signing all four of them or even three we'll be in bother.

Could certainly see MOH and even more so Donnelly being tempted to leave for St Mirren under Robinson. And frankly I will pay the taxi fare to Paisley for McGinley.

36 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I wonder if any of our players might end up at St Mirren. Not suggesting that Alexander is some sort of tyrant but if he's as difficult to get along with as some rumours suggest and they're still pally with Robinson I could see a few making the jump.

Grimshaw is obviously well down the pecking order for us and it looks like his time to move on. He is also very much the 'hard work and endeavour' type of player Robinson likes. The St Mirren fans might not be overly inspired by it, but he seems to be very settled in this area, and I could see it being a possibility for him to join the ex-'Well contingent. 

Also, he's obviously not one of ours any longer, and I'm not sure of his current situation at Morecambe, but with speculation over Alnwick following his old gaffer Goodwin to Aberdeen, I could see Trevor Carson doing similar and following Robinson back up the road.

Aye, was thinking myself that Carson must feel like he got a bit of a bad deal by joining Morecambe. 

Donnelly had one sustained spell of form, surrounded by injury, indifference and ill-discipline. O’Hara on the other hand seems to have had several spells of 2 or 3 games where we think he’s going to show his potential and doesn’t.

Both players would be assets to us at their ceiling, but the number of times you’d get that level of performance from either would concern me.

I’d be satisfied if both stayed, but not heartbroken if they left. 

55 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Aye, was thinking myself that Carson must feel like he got a bit of a bad deal by joining Morecambe. 

Donnelly had one sustained spell of form, surrounded by injury, indifference and ill-discipline. O’Hara on the other hand seems to have had several spells of 2 or 3 games where we think he’s going to show his potential and doesn’t.

Both players would be assets to us at their ceiling, but the number of times you’d get that level of performance from either would concern me.

I’d be satisfied if both stayed, but not heartbroken if they left. 

On one hand Carson's at least getting first team games that he wasn't at United but equally given he had other loan options closer to his family when he signed for Morecambe if it was Robinson being there that's swung that decision for him then I can imagine he's pretty scunnered that Robinson's just fucked off in the way he has (even if it is only a loan until the end of the season).

With Donnelly, the fact that he was becoming a fixture in the NI international squad prior to his knee falling to bits along with his form in 19/20 makes me think we'd be reluctant to let that potential walk out the door for nothing.

Agree 100% with the point about O'Hara though. It's worth remembering that there was a spell last season where he looked like his best fit in the team was as a centre back.

Edited by capt_oats

Grimshaw has gone from utility player to a fringe one and therefore if he was offered something I think it would be equal or less than what he's on at present.

Conor Ronan will be away back to Wolves and some of the players their fans were relieved to keep hold of in both windows will definitely be away. O'Hara is definitely in the Ronan ballpark and wither Grimmy is seen as cover or a replacement for Tait would be irony of the highest order. I'd be bowled over if Robinson doesn't sniff around if Donnelly is open to a move.

Based on his recruitment so far, I'm confident Grezza could replace them all with better quality this summer.

His shopping list in order is probably left back, ball winning or box to box midfielder essentially the opposite of whatever he envisages Slattery's role will be as I don't think he knows and a striker. Next on the list is back up centre half and ensure Tierney's on a steak and Guinness diet.

I'm happy with the depth in attack at present, Efford, Woolery, Shields and KVV. Will be interesting to see if we seek an extension for Roberts. Amaluzor is not up to it similar to Seedorf.

MIdfield with Slattery, Tierney, Goss, McGuire, Cornelius. Good basis but need the young boys to progress rather than stagnate.

Defence Bevis, Sol, Ojala, Carroll and the forgotten man SOD.

Keeper .... Just keep him away from twitter and tinfoil hats.

Will we ever see Nirennold?

Edited by Kapowzer

7 hours ago, Handsome John said:

Had heard of this a while back but confirmation that Grant Russell is heading off. Seems like a hefty responsibility for his replacement but hints at some of the clubs’ future plans too…

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/club/vacancies/

I feel my life has been improved. Thank you Motherwell FC for existing. 

Grimshaw has gone from utility player to a fringe one and therefore if he was offered something I think it would be equal or less than what he's on at present.
Conor Ronan will be away back to Wolves and some of the players their fans were relieved to keep hold of in both windows will definitely be away. O'Hara is definitely in the Ronan ballpark and wither Grimmy is seen as cover or a replacement for Tait would be irony of the highest order. I'd be bowled over if Robinson doesn't sniff around if Donnelly is open to a move.
Based on his recruitment so far, I'm confident Grezza could replace them all with better quality this summer.
His shopping list in order is probably right back, ball winning or box to box midfielder essentially the opposite of whatever he envisages Slattery's role will be as I don't think he knows and a striker. Next on the list is back up centre half and ensure Tierney's on a steak and Guinness diet.
I'm happy with the depth in attack at present, Efford, Woolery, Shields and KVV. Will be interesting to see if we seek an extension for Roberts. Amaluzor is not up to it similar to Seedorf.
MIdfield with Slattery, Tierney, Goss, McGuire, Cornelius. Good basis but need the young boys to progress rather than stagnate.
Defence Bevis, Sol, Ojala, Carroll and the forgotten man SOD.
Keeper .... Just keep him away from twitter and tinfoil hats.
Will we ever see Nirennold?
I think left back will be on that list and fairly high up.

Hibs have revealed plans to replace their problematic pitch, but are unlikely to be able to afford the costs of £600,000 to £700,000 for a hybrid surface this summer. (Edinburgh Evening News)

Give us half an idea of the cost involved for our pitch work in the summer.

7 hours ago, Handsome John said:

Had heard of this a while back but confirmation that Grant Russell is heading off. Seems like a hefty responsibility for his replacement but hints at some of the clubs’ future plans too…

It's great when someone gets to write the job description for their successor - and that's a classic of the genre.

David-Brent-Friend-First.jpg

Fucking hell they're not asking for much going by that job description [emoji23].

As an aside, I hate job adverts that don't specify the salary (not that I have any intention of applying).

23 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Fucking hell they're not asking for much going by that job description emoji23.png.

As an aside, I hate job adverts that don't specify the salary (not that I have any intention of applying).

Unrelated to this particular role but given the chat a while back re: the WS job that had been advertised that did specify the ball park salary I noticed Hibs were advertising for a 'Head of Football Operations' (which seems important) with a £30k-£35k salary range.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Unrelated to this particular role but given the chat a while back re: the WS job that had been advertised that did specify the ball park salary I noticed Hibs were advertising for a 'Head of Football Operations' (which seems important) with a £30k-£35k salary range.

This is absolutely bonkers, IMO. In what looks like an absolutely vital role, with someone who'll hold significant sway on whether the club, as a whole, succeeds or fails, at that salary point...

I can, as I mentioned before, kind of understand the thinking in under-paying folk, even if I don't agree with it, but that looks like such a massive role with a hand in basically every facet of the club... bonkers.

31 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Have they taken it down? I can't see it on the website.

Also this, what am I missing here?

Edited by thisGRAEME

36 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is absolutely bonkers, IMO. In what looks like an absolutely vital role, with someone who'll hold significant sway on whether the club, as a whole, succeeds or fails, at that salary point...

I can, as I mentioned before, kind of understand the thinking in under-paying folk, even if I don't agree with it, but that looks like such a massive role with a hand in basically every facet of the club... bonkers.

100%

It's like they've missed off a zero.

Edit: Also, I'd add proof reading to the essential knowledge, skills & experience section.

627974271_ScreenShot2022-02-24at10_50_03.thumb.png.921331d03298517c24d0b1fcf483c537.png

Edited by capt_oats

Ah, that's quite annoying...I'd have been well up for Douglas playing for us.
Isn't Douglas a massive 'Well fan? I'm surprised he never played for us as he was a lot better than most keepers we had during that time up until we signed John Ruddy.