Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Al B said:

I know we all have ideas of what we'd like, but Jesus Christ...£100 million! That's almost a third of what the Emirates cost...What are you wanting??!

As a very quick example, Initial budget for this is £16 million, 8,200 capacity and construction began last year.

Is it too much to have heated massage seats 🤷‍♂️

Ok so clearly my £100m is a little excessive. Whatever we would start with a budget you had better add 20% as anything built these days seems to go over budget. Plus let’s not forget the cost of building materials are currently sky rocketing. 

Even if we did manager to get a quote for a 10,000 seater stadium for circa £20m where would that cash come from ? Fir Park ground may be worth a couple of million unless another supermarket offered us dough but I very much doubt it. 

Would need to be in partnership with Council at a time when their budgets are being cut severely. 

I can tell you that serious plans were a foot to build a training centre where the budget was £1-2m but that never got off the ground. So building a new stadium is sadly a pipe dream at the moment. 

19 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I can tell you that serious plans were a foot to build a training centre where the budget was £1-2m but that never got off the ground. So building a new stadium is sadly a pipe dream at the moment. 

Was that the one planned by MFC Community Trust at Muirhouse that was canned due to Sunday league teams successfully campaigning to the local councillors? 

46 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Is it too much to have heated massage seats 🤷‍♂️

Ok so clearly my £100m is a little excessive. Whatever we would start with a budget you had better add 20% as anything built these days seems to go over budget. Plus let’s not forget the cost of building materials are currently sky rocketing. 

Even if we did manager to get a quote for a 10,000 seater stadium for circa £20m where would that cash come from ? Fir Park ground may be worth a couple of million unless another supermarket offered us dough but I very much doubt it. 

Would need to be in partnership with Council at a time when their budgets are being cut severely. 

The McLean/South was primarily financed from the proceeds of POD going to Celtic. So since completion, it means any income since essentially has been "cream" and straight into the balance sheet in the black column.

If we were to finance a stadium using projected future fan income then it has a major impact on our left over revenues per season to compete. Many a team has been ruined by stadium building and lofty aspirations.

That's what I was getting at in my monster post. The OF currently get 5,000 seats at FP, if we designed a stadium that allowed them 8,000 (as an example) then that's 3,000 extra seats per game, multiply it up over 30 years then its £9m over what we currently earn. That makes a big dent in the cost without having to touch our current "cream" income from them. However an away capacity with 8,000 seats leaves 7,000 empty against the majority of other teams in this league.

A lot of it also is based on us or them retaining top league status. A Hibs or Dundee United 3 year stint in the championship blows a big hole in expected incomes. Currently 5,000 at £25 a head x4 games a season = £500k + increased hospitality.

Of course it is all about finding the happy balance between design, cost, capacity, being outnumbered in our own ground, not having it a souless place outwith a full house etc.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

I see your crazy lights and random combine harvesters and raise you ......

1515761752.jpgblank.pngblank.png

blank.png1515761713.jpg

Can you imagine the scenes as we swagger into here at the start of the 2025/26 season ..... cinch as f**k

More images here: https://www.mz-architects.com/projects-detail.php?prid=113&cat=SportsLeisure

This still doing the rounds! Truth be told, I'm not sure digging down at Ravenscraig is going to result in finding anything good...

1515761900.jpg

Not convinced by these views either, tbh.

44 minutes ago, Handsome John said:

Was that the one planned by MFC Community Trust at Muirhouse that was canned due to Sunday league teams successfully campaigning to the local councillors? 

Roger that.  Did hear that somewhat unsurprisingly many councillors have leanings towards the Old Firm so could not care less what happens to Motherwell FC 🤷‍♂️.  In hindsight I should probably rephrase that to say there is possibly less goodwill towards the local football team (Motherwell FC) than were all councillors of a claret and amber persuasion. 

Edited by welldaft

25 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

That's what I was getting at in my monster post. The OF currently get 5,000 seats at FP, if we designed a stadium that allowed them 8,000 (as an example) then that's 3,000 extra seats per game, multiply it up over 30 years then its £9m over what we currently earn.

That is where I and many would draw the line.  Would rather stay in a rotting Fir Park than give the Old Firm an extra 3000 seats.  You would be left with no home fans for those games.

If I recall Hearts new main stand cost a little shy of £20m to build.  For ONE stand.  Granted it has 7000+ seats but unless we get a sugar daddy, a wealthy investor who would like to help build a complex and or the Council assisting we are a million miles away from ever having a new stadium. 

I would investigate what could be done to upgrade and properly renovate the POD / Main stand into a modern one fit for purpose.  One where you could possibly (ok contradicting my argument above 😉) house an extra 1000-2000 Old Firm fans but keep them separated and well away from any home support.   

14 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If I recall Hearts new main stand cost a little shy of £20m to build.  For ONE stand.  Granted it has 7000+ seats but unless we get a sugar daddy, a wealthy investor who would like to help build a complex and or the Council assisting we are a million miles away from ever having a new stadium. 

Watch this space...an ML02 postcode has won the People's Postcode Lottery this week...!

24 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Again - a brownfield build for us would presumably be far easier from a technical point of view (and therefore cheaper) than demolishing an ancient stand and building a far bigger one, with attached office block, in the middle of Gorgie, in a working football stadium.

When this was talked about at previous AGMs, it was mentioned that big capital projects (and you'd imagine for us this would be the biggest) would need to funded in alternative ways (and I'm sure they used the "hutchinson" model as an example - where someone stumps up money and they are paid back from proceeds of transfers, etc).

42 minutes ago, Swello said:

When this was talked about at previous AGMs, it was mentioned that big capital projects (and you'd imagine for us this would be the biggest) would need to funded in alternative ways (and I'm sure they used the "hutchinson" model as an example - where someone stumps up money and they are paid back from proceeds of transfers, etc).

If I win the Euromillions this week, i'll sort it lads.  The Desp Arena has a nice ring to it.

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

The McLean/South was primarily financed from the proceeds of POD going to Celtic. So since completion, it means any income since essentially has been "cream" and straight into the balance sheet in the black column.

Heard this before.  The stand was built throughout 1992 and opened in early 1993.  We sold Phil O'Donnell to Celtic in September 1994.

I assume people mean we just paid off the bank loan/overdraft we took out to build it with the Celtic cash?   

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

As someone suggested there is no way we are building bigger than an 8-10k stadium.

I remember we played Llanelli at that rugby stadium. I loved that it was raised above park level. I've never understood folk that sit in the front row and don't have a decent view of anything further than 10 yards away.

Hadn't realised you played that game at Parc Y Scarlets.

It's an excellent wee ground TBF, IIRC the capacity is about 15k

Scott Burns ran this story last month but IIRC it was around the time that Watt had fucked off so I'm guessing they decided it probably wasn't the time to announce because...optics.

So that leaves the following as OOC in the summer:
GK - Morrison
DF - O'Connor, McGinley, Grimshaw, Nirennold
MF - O'Hara, Donnelly
FW - Amaluzor, Roberts
Loans expiring - Shaw
Pre-contract - Lamie (to Dundee)
Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I wonder if any of our players might end up at St Mirren. Not suggesting that Alexander is some sort of tyrant but if he's as difficult to get along with as some rumours suggest and they're still pally with Robinson I could see a few making the jump.

I am sure Tait made the jump to St. Mirren because of his dislike for Robinson. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I wonder if any of our players might end up at St Mirren. Not suggesting that Alexander is some sort of tyrant but if he's as difficult to get along with as some rumours suggest and they're still pally with Robinson I could see a few making the jump.

Aye, Mark O'Hara is an extremely Stephen Robinson player. IIRC St Mirren were in for him when we signed him permanently from Peterborough. Given we paid a "nominal fee" for him I'd guess he's probably on a relatively decent wage (for us).

This is a really clunky way of putting it but I half wondered if Donnelly's game time recently is kind of related to him being out of contract in the summer, given the fact he missed a chunk of the first half of the season and hasn't really played much for Alexander - essentially he's getting a run of games to see what he can do. Fwiw, I know he's not for everyone but I'd say that he's probably one of those who has a certain value to have around the squad.

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Are there actually many of Robinson's signings left? The turnover in our squad has been truly mental since he left...