Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Does anyone know if both BBC and Premier Sports pay the same for live game access, is there any benefit to us being on free telly over a pay channel? Are all revenues pulled and distributed between all 8 teams?

I presume, given that's the way that all TV is done, that it's the case yes.

He's got a job for life at Motherwell and is doing a degree to be a sports director, something he could manage as a number three with us but probably not as number two at a new club. 

We'll probably bump up his role eventually if he stays put. You could imagine he might change his mind if a managerial job came up and he fancies going that path but chucking what he has at Motherwell to be assistant at St Mirren would seem a mental gamble to me.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

He's got a job for life at Motherwell and is doing a degree to be a sports director, something he could manage as a number three with us but probably not as number two at a new club. 

We'll probably bump up his role eventually if he stays put. You could imagine he might change his mind if a managerial job came up and he fancies going that path but chucking what he has at Motherwell to be assistant at St Mirren would seem a mental gamble to me.

I was thinking we'll eventually move him to something along the lines of a Director of Football since that's what he's studying. I'd be all in favour of us bringing that type of thing in tbf. 

An opportunity for Lasley too?

Good Paisley boy Keith, grew up playing for Glennifer Thistle and going to Saints matches.
Hearing his mate Robbo wants him as his number two.
Tough choice. Does he come home or does he stay at Motherwell?

Maurice Ross is no doubt still trying to hook up with Robinson as number 2. I think I've listened to or read several interviews with him where he affirms he will become Robinson's number 2 as and when he gets a suitable job. Granted that was before his racism at Notts County and leading the Blue Brazil to their best league form in 3 years.

57 minutes ago, tonicg said:

Maurice Ross is no doubt still trying to hook up with Robinson as number 2. I think I've listened to or read several interviews with him where he affirms he will become Robinson's number 2 as and when he gets a suitable job. Granted that was before his racism at Notts County and leading the Blue Brazil to their best league form in 3 years.

His assistant at Morecambe was that Diarmud fella that he brought in to work in our academy a few years ago. I'm guessing he'll probably just bring him.

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

His assistant at Morecambe was that Diarmud fella that he brought in to work in our academy a few years ago. I'm guessing he'll probably just bring him.

That's exactly who his no.2 is at St. Mirren.  There was a picture on social media this morning with the two of them at St. Mirren.

That Robinson thunderdome team is maybe the most fun I've ever had at the football (only rivalled by the hilarious Michael Higdon season where we leathered everybody). Compared to the turgid, long ball to nobody shite we're putting up with this season I'd fucking love a return to something that's even half as entertaining as 3-5-2 taking bodies for fun. 

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

That Robinson thunderdome team is maybe the most fun I've ever had at the football (only rivalled by the hilarious Michael Higdon season where we leathered everybody). Compared to the turgid, long ball to nobody shite we're putting up with this season I'd fucking love a return to something that's even half as entertaining as 3-5-2 taking bodies for fun. 

Absolutely.  As I've said on the St. Mirren thread, I think everyone agreed it was time for Robinson & Motherwell to part ways when they did.  We probably didn't appreciate the job he did until you take a bit of time and reflect.  Also, putting up with Alexander's Murderball for a year certainly makes you pine for the glory days and silky skills of Peter Hartley & Ryan Bowman! 

AGM was quite interesting last night.

I'm sure it will be reported fully elsewhere, so I won't go into everything but what I found most interesting was that there was no back-slapping smugness at all about the record profit (although they quite rightly were satisfied that the club had adequate insurance in place for interruption to business caused by COVID). I picked up instead that there was serious concern about staying competitive within our available budget in a league where some clubs are <paraphrasing> overspending on the back of rich owners.

We can hardly be precious about this given the Boyle years but the fact that Utd apparently are paying Watt an eye-watering amount in the midst of huge losses and that Dundee <paraphrasing> blew us out the water for Ricki Lamie from a position where they are in relegation trouble kind of shows what we're up against. Interesting to see how it plays out but we have a situation where we have a bunch of clubs that by necessity or choice (eg - both Saints and Us) will live within money we have and there will be others (eg, Dundee clubs) living out of the owner's chequebook like it's early days SPL. 

Other than that, there were some good nuggets - someone decided to use the occasion to give Alexander some (good natured) stick about the fact that we don't leave anyone up at corners and he dropped a stat that we've only lost 3 goals in 170-odd corners, which was interesting. He really praised Lamie's attitude since he signed his PCA but inferred that Watt would have spat the dummy if he was still here (and he wants the English system where PCA's within the same league can only be signed 1 month before the end of a players contract (so effectively close season), which seems very sensible).  And the look on his face when someone told him Watt's "training is 10 times better at Utd" quote :)

1 minute ago, Desp said:

Absolutely.  As I've said on the St. Mirren thread, I think everyone agreed it was time for Robinson & Motherwell to part ways when they did.  We probably didn't appreciate the job he did until you take a bit of time and reflect.  Also, putting up with Alexander's Murderball for a year certainly makes you pine for the glory days and silky skills of Peter Hartley & Ryan Bowman! 

Van Veen alone has more talent than Main & Bowman combined but the sheer chaos factor of playing the ball up to those two and having Allan Campbell storm through the devastation after could bring a tear to your eye these days. There's definitely merit to Alexander's football to a degree but fucking hell it makes your eyes bleed at times. 

The League Cup semi final against Rangers along with the Scottish Cup games against Hearts and Aberdeen are comfortably within the top 10 best games I've been to.

If Robinson adopts thunderdome at St Mirren it could be interesting (or brutal) to see how it compares against Alexander's murderball.