Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

No.

Happy to help.

749765252_ScreenShot2022-02-20at18_21_20.thumb.png.189a8f15468c14b0d50f55ec2db2c34b.png1739769835_ScreenShot2022-02-20at18_21_57.thumb.png.05c366652a4c9bf4048762a66eb49c18.png

As much as we are prone to sound thrashings from the green bigots, we were down to ten men after 20 minutes in that game. We also had perfectly good goal disallowed at 2-0.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

Presumably we chose to shoot into the Cooper end first this week.  Was it because of the sun, was it because it worked last week, is it a new thing?

It was so that the thugs in the little group beside the away fans could bully and throw stuff at our schoolboy right back in the second half.

21 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I thought it was tactical, Ojala and Sol struggle a little with the distribution, and as a whole, I thought we were terrible with the ball yesterday, Lamie's abilities in that respect were a huge improvement.

Remain unconvinced with Lamie. We've seem him do fine in half hour spells, but seems to struggle for concentration over the 90. 

I didn't notice an injury to Sol and was initially confused as to why he was taken off. I think he has been our best CB recently but to be fair I didn't notice how far he was out of positon for their goal which was highlighted on Sportscene as @crazylegsjoe_mfc said. 

My only thought was that Lamie was brought on for better distribution and in particular to shell balls out to Woolery whom I thought was excellent. Neither Sol Or Ojala are as good as Lamie at that type of ball. Eg. See assist for Watt against Ross County at FP earlier in the season.

Even if we were to drop a couple of places in the league following our inevitable defeat at Ibrox on Sunday, we're actually in a decent enough position with some favourable fixtures coming up to secure a Top Six place. 

I did say about a month ago we'd see what our chances would be like at the end of February.  Worst case scenario is we'd be three points off the top half.  Considering the shite run we've been on,  it's probably about the best we could have hoped for.  

We've got a decent chance.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Even if we were to drop a couple of places in the league following our inevitable defeat at Ibrox on Sunday, we're actually in a decent enough position with some favourable fixtures coming up to secure a Top Six place. 

I did say about a month ago we'd see what our chances would be like at the end of February.  Worst case scenario is we'd be three points off the top half.  Considering the shite run we've been on,  it's probably about the best we could have hoped for.  

We've got a decent chance.

You’d think they were favourable but of the 7 league games we’ve played since the break, 6 of them were winnable and we still didn’t manage  to get even 1, so who knows anymore?

27 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

You’d think they were favourable but of the 7 league games we’ve played since the break, 6 of them were winnable and we still didn’t manage  to get even 1, so who knows anymore?

How many of them did we win in the corresponding first round of fixtures?

Aberdeen at home - a team we beat the week before last in the cup.

The corresponding results were:

Hibs (h) - 2-3 - Loss
Aberdeen (h) - 2-0 - Win
Hearts (a) - 0-2 - Loss
Celtic (h) - 0-2 - Loss
Dundee United - 2-1 - Loss

That's not to say they weren't winnable but from the same run of games in the first run we're 1 point down on account of the draws with HIbs and Aberdeen vs the win against Aberdeen first time around.

Clearly we need to win some games but the reality is that it's our away form that's fucked us a bit. As it stands we've only lost once at home in all competitions in the last 9 and that was against Celtic.

Edited by capt_oats

On the defence side of things, I still think Sol-Ojala is our potential best pairing and so I watched them a bit closer than usual on Saturday as they've scarcely played together, which is mental considering it's late Feb and we're nearing the split. 

I'm no sort of football analyst and don't follow xStats but one thing I did notice in the game (and I've noticed generally) is that Sol wins *everything* in the air - more than Bevis does even - and I assume that's why he's basically our first pick defender. His distribution is really ropy to the point that a Slattery or whoever coming to fetch the ball off him might be better, even if only so the long balls that we shell forward all day are more accurate. 

I thought Ojala had a pretty faultless game on Saturday - but it's noticeable that he is great at stuff that Sol isn't so good at - nipping the ball off forwards' toes, intercepting stuff. Is it an over-simplification to say that they compliment each other quite well? Main problem is that his game relies on him being sharp and when he's coming back from injury all the time, it takes him a while to get back into it.

That aside - we still look liable to lose concentration and concede easy goals too often - it's been a curse this season and Bevis went to sleep at the Aberdeen goal...Not ideal with Ibrox coming up...

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

How many of them did we win in the first round of fixtures?

Aberdeen at home - a team we beat the week before last in the cup.

The corresponding results were:

Hibs (h) - 2-3 - Loss
Aberdeen (h) - 2-0 - Win
Hearts (a) - 0-2 - Loss
Celtic (h) - 0-2 - Loss
Dundee United - 2-1 - Loss

That's not to say they weren't winnable but from the same run of games in the first run we're 1 point down on account of the draws with HIbs and Aberdeen vs the win against Aberdeen first time around.

Clearly we need to win some games but the reality is that it's our away form that's fucked us a bit. As it stands we've only lost once at home in all competitions in the last 9 and that was against Celtic.

You’re absolutely right of course but I’d be lying to say I’m not a tad concerned.

I like to get my panicking in early and work back from there! 😂