Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Quoting myself (in the spoiler) like an absolute gimp but to update this from December 23rd on how the fixtures and points total compare from each round of fixtures:

R1:
01/08 - Hibs (h) 2-3 (L) = 0
08/08 - St Johnstone (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
21/08 - Livingston (a) 1-2 (W) = 3
28/08 - Dundee (h) 1-0 (W) = 3
11/09 - Aberdeen (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
19/09 - Rangers (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
25/09 - Ross County (h) 2-1 (W) = 3
02/10 - Hearts (a) 2-0 (L) = 0
16/10 - Celtic (h) 0-2 (L) = 0
23/10 - Dundee Utd (a) 2-1 (L) = 0
27/10 - St Mirren (h) 2-2 (X) = 1

Total = 15 points - P 11 W 4 D 3 L 4 F 14 A 15

R2:
31/10 - Rangers (h) 1-6 (L) = 0
06/11 - Aberdeen (a) 0-2 (W) = 3
20/11 - Hearts (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
27/11 - Dundee (a) 3-0 (L) = 0
30/11 - Dundee Utd (h) 1-0 (W) = 3
04/12 - Hibs (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
12/12 - Celtic (a) 1-0 (L) = 0
18/12 - St Johnstone (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
26/12 - Livingston (h) 2-1 (W) = 3
18/01 - Ross County (a) 3-1 (L) = 0

Total = 16 points - P 10 W 5 D 1 L 4 F 12 A 15

R3:
26/01 - Hibs (h) 0-0 (X) = 1
29/01 - Hearts (a) 2-0 (L) = 0

Total = 1 point - P 2 W 0 D 1 L 1 F 0 A 2

Spoiler
On 23/12/2021 at 11:05, capt_oats said:

Just to revisit this from a couple of weeks ago comparing the results between the 1st and 2nd round of fixtures.

Dull as it is I thought I'd update it.

R1:
01/08 - Hibs (h) 2-3 (L) = 0
08/08 - St Johnstone (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
28/08 - Dundee (h) 1-0 (W) = 3
11/09 - Aberdeen (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
19/09 - Rangers (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
02/10 - Hearts (a) 2-0 (L) = 0
16/10 - Celtic (h) 0-2 (L) = 0
23/10 - Dundee Utd (a) 2-1 (L) = 0

Total = 8 - P 8 W 2 D 2 L 4 F 8 A 11

R2:
31/10 - Rangers (h) 1-6 (L) = 0
06/11 - Aberdeen (a) 0-2 (W) = 3
20/11 - Hearts (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
27/11 - Dundee (a) 3-0 (L) = 0
30/11 - Dundee Utd (h) 1-0 (W) = 3
04/12 - Hibs (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
12/12 - Celtic (a) 1-0 (L) = 0
18/12 - St Johnstone (h) 2-0 (W) = 3

Total = 13 - P 8 W 4 D 1 L 3 F 9 A 11

Fwiw, of the remaining fixtures Livi, County and St Mirren we took 7 points from those in R1.

It's interesting to note the impact those two fixtures against Rangers and Dundee have had on our GA column for the 2nd round of fixtures. They skew things wildly as outside of those two games we've only conceded 2 goals in the other 6 (Hibs and Celtic - both away).

Edited by capt_oats

I'm getting massive 2019/20 vibes from this season. Sitting high at Christmas, lose a striker or two and be totally miserable afterwards. I'm sure there was even a 0-0 at home to Hibs around this point of the season too.

Hopefully covid spirals out of control again and they call the season with us 4th. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm getting massive 2019/20 vibes from this season. Sitting high at Christmas, lose a striker or two and be totally miserable afterwards. I'm sure there was even a 0-0 at home to Hibs around this point of the season too.

Hopefully covid spirals out of control again and they call the season with us 4th. 

There was, aye.

We'd also lost a forward who was a big part of making the system work (Cole).

Happy to be told I'm miles oot, but was faintly heartened by that today. Change of personnel led to, whisper it, some actual football breaking out from time to time. 

If we can get a #9, or KVV fit, we'll be absolutely fine, imo. 

Slattery is class. 

35 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Happy to be told I'm miles oot, but was faintly heartened by that today. Change of personnel led to, whisper it, some actual football breaking out from time to time. 

Slattery is class. 

I'm with you on this. 

In a wider sense my expectation is a drop in results (and 2 or 3 places) the next few weeks as we face Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers. But we've then got a great run in to the split which should see us consolidate a top 6 spot at least. 

I can also see people panicking, chucking toys out the pram like earlier in the season and calling for the head of Alexander.

Edited by eliphas

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Slattery is class. 

Tierney looks very tidy. Loves a wee 1-2 through midfield.

If big American Joe can give us a few goals between now and June we'll be cooshty.

34 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I'm with you on this. 

In a wider sense my expectation is a drop in results (and 2 or 3 places) the next few weeks as we face Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers. But we've then got a great run in to the split which should see us consolidate a top 6 spot at least. 

I can also see people panicking, chucking toys out the pram like earlier in the season and calling for the head of Alexander.

Probably right, but dropping 2/3 places would require hibs or Aberdeen to win games, and I genuinely can't see Hibs in particular, winning games.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Tierney looks very tidy. Loves a wee 1-2 through midfield.

If big American Joe can give us a few goals between now and June we'll be cooshty.

The interesting thing with Tierney is that he gives us an alternative shape. A lot of folk (not on here, on other corners of the Motherwell Internet) have had a wheeze about Alexander sticking with 433 and that.

It seems clear that with Tierney it allows us to go 442 diamond/4312 (Potato/Potato). So there's the potential of having 2 strikers on the park.

4 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Slattery is class. 

We've played worse against Hearts in the past and came away with 3 points - I didn't think Alexander's comments after the game about us edging it for large sections of the game were far off the mark and both goals came from daft mistakes in what was otherwise a pretty well drilled performance. I can't see Shields, Woolery or Roberts contributing many goals (certainly not to the level Watt was anyway) so any kind of tactical or personnel changes that get the midfield more involved in the final third have to be seen as a positive thing. Van Veen has been as mercurial as expected but it's clear he can score when fit and getting good service.

Hopefully it's a sign of things to come and it does seem like Alexander is deliberately trying to tweak the system a little without sacrificing defensive structure too much.

Shockingly bad for both goals and keystone cops goalmouth scramble saved it being an on-paper doing. I was genuinely quite excited to see how we'd do (minus McGinley) when I saw the line up announced and assumed we'd go 442 Diamond which would throw a spanner in our as long as I can remember our 433 predictability.

I can see why Lamie is off, few if little errors in the cameo's we've seen, not many 1 goal leads to shithouse the rest of the game recently, so no appearances. The McGinley preferred over Carroll at right back thing after it took Carroll ages to get a start too, pretty hard one to swallow from Lamie unless his move to Dundee has been on the cards and known to the management for quite a while, his sidelining would be understood.

I didn't want him to darken our door again a year ago and while under Grezza his performances improved and errors decreased, he was still in negative equity in my mind. LIke Crawford, I wish him no ill will but I would look for the base standard of any replacement to be at their worst, better than Lamie at his best.

Glad ... no relieved, to see Slattery start, genuinely wonder if he would had Donnelly not got the red midweek.

Not much to admire in January. Fixtures and history tell us not much to look forward to in Feb.

8 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m somewhere in between we’re missing Watt and it’ll take time to adjust.

Tbh, I think both can be true.

To take the second point first, that was a new midfield yesterday with two players making their first league starts. There's an element of adjustment in that respect on top of losing someone who was a key part of how we were set up.

re: Watt, with his whole PCA saga and subsequent move we've played 5 games since he last kicked a baw for us:
Livi (h) 2-1 (W)
County (a) 3-1 (L)
Morton (h) 2-1 (W - AET)
Hibs (h) 0-0 (X)
Hearts (a) 2-0 (L)

It's probably fair to say that of those 5 with the games we lost we didn't lose because Tony Watt wasn't playing. We lost because we made some really dumb decisions defensively.