Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

All in on this new scouting system.

When was the last time we, or anyone else for that matter, brought in such an eclectic mix from so many different places?

A Norwegian, a Finnish international who'd been playing in Denmark, a Frenchman previously plying his trade in Malaysia, and now an American brought in from Belgium's top flight. Certainly a change from the usual English lower league punt, and I'm all for it.

On Lamie, he is definitely the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde defender, all sugar or shite with no real in between. If he won his first few challenges in a game he could grow into it and turn in a performance, but if he misplaced a pass or mis-kicked a ball early doors it set the tone for a real watch through your fingers performance. 

A weird 50/50 of sorrow/relief that his days in the C&A are coming to an end. A player who, in reality, has probably managed to earn a living for the past few years in a league above his actual level. Fair play to him for that.

This time last season I’d have driven Lamie to Dundee myself but the transformation in him under Alexander has to be seen the be believed so I’m slightly disappointed by this news. Not quite on “Tony Watt to Utd” level, but still.

Maybe Ojala and Sondre are our first choice picks, but 22 games into the season, how many games have they actually started together? Can’t have been many. 

Lamie might not have been a guaranteed starter but surely no one bar Kelly is and with the injury records of our perceived first picks, there would definitely be plenty opportunity to play if your own form and fitness held out. 

Fully expect him to go to Dundee this window now as I believe they’re a bit short at the back.

2 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Is he available tomorrow? 

Work permit?

It's in the news story this time.

"His move remains pending the receipt of a working visa, although a governing body endorsement has been awarded."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

His old club said this... Via Google translate...

"Joe Efford closes the doors of the Freethiel behind him and goes to work for Scottish Motherwell. The American is leaving yellow-blue for good

Efford ended up in Beveren in the summer of 2020 after a strong period with the Greek Ergotelis. In his first season for yellow-blue, he made 28 appearances. He vibrated the nets twice and provided five assists. This season, Efford has already been able to show seventeen times. He was able to celebrate a goal twice and sent the decisive pass four times. In total, Efford played 2252 minutes for yellow-blue

We wish Joe every success in his further career"

it's good to hear he can vibrate the net

4 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

This time last season I’d have driven Lamie to Dundee myself but the transformation in him under Alexander has to be seen the be believed so I’m slightly disappointed by this news. Not quite on “Tony Watt to Utd” level, but still.

Maybe Ojala and Sondre are our first choice picks, but 22 games into the season, how many games have they actually started together? Can’t have been many. 

Lamie might not have been a guaranteed starter but surely no one bar Kelly is and with the injury records of our perceived first picks, there would definitely be plenty opportunity to play if your own form and fitness held out. 

Fully expect him to go to Dundee this window now as I believe they’re a bit short at the back.

Are you saying we might get money for Ricki Lamie?

Tbh, the news about Lamie means that the Jake Carroll: Centre Back project makes a lot more sense now (and also Alexander's comment that we'd maybe be looking for another defender despite Big Vic coming in).

Assuming he fucks off (and we get some cash for him) that leaves McGinley, SOD, Fox and O'Hara left of Robinson's summer signings from last season. Quite a turnaround.

Processing the idea that we might get some money for Ricki Lamie though...

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, the news about Lamie means that the Jake Carroll: Centre Back project makes a lot more sense now (and also Alexander's comment that we'd maybe be looking for another defender despite Big Vic coming in).

Assuming he fucks off (and we get some cash for him) that leaves McGinley, SOD, Fox and O'Hara left of Robinson's summer signings from last season. Quite a turnaround.

Processing the idea that we might get some money for Ricki Lamie though...

giphy.gif

We could take the piss and demand a 20% sell on fee, the Dom Thomas clause.

£500 and a box of empire biscuits and Lamie can head to Dundee the now. 

There's no question he's improved under Alexander, and fair fucks to him for that, but he'll no exactly be missed.  Thanks and all the best, Ricki. 

Is it just me or is the number of transfers between top flight clubs a bit higher than normal at the moment? Maybe we're all finally priced out of the English bubble.

Lamie has really impressed me since the latter part of last season and I liked the fact he redeemed himself - but he was starting from a Zak Jules-level low bar to be fair. 

Looking forward to signing a Venezuelan playing in the Bhutan premier league as his replacement. 

Ricki Lamie spent most of last season ruining my weekends (and some weeknights). He's improved no doubt but is still nothing more than decent for this level.

Not sure who Dundee's current defenders are but if Lamie represents an upgrade they must be pish.

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Ricki Lamie spent most of last season ruining my weekends (and some weeknights). He's improved no doubt but is still nothing more than decent for this level.

Not sure who Dundee's current defenders are but if Lamie represents an upgrade they must be pish.

He'll be replacing Liam Fontaine who's about 67.

Oh...

His, what I assume is his brother Kyle is a linebacker for Georgia Tech so I imagine he comes from a very athletic family.

If his career in American football doesn’t pan out, bring him over to the thunder dome

I'm actually quite interested to see how Lamie gets on tbh. Basically everyone played at Centre Back under Alexander has looked passable at worst, while Robinson's record was much flakier. Lamie feels like a lower Premiership, Upper Championship defender to me, but if he's able to maintain his 2021 form then Dundee have won a watch.

I'm not remotely arsed about losing him though tbh, personally just a player I've never taken to, and it's nice to draw a line under the Gallagher/Watt/Lamie trifecta.