Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

57 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The 4-1 game on the Friday night was my birthday, Faddy had just come back and turned in one of the best performances I had ever seen that night. It was after scoring his header that night that Higdon done the belly pat celebration to McPake.

The overhead kick was another game, we won 4-3. Higdon scored that goal plus two penalties to complete his hat-trick and Murphy got the other.

We had a great team back then.

Aye you can see the belly rub in this clip.

This is the best I can find of the 4-3.

Anyway, apropos of nothing...that 0-0 last night means we've now only conceded 1 goal in our last 5 at home in the league.

946470851_ScreenShot2022-01-27at09_56_09.thumb.png.f22fae1865b6028c49bf6cee637ac7ec.png

Which is nice.

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye you can see the belly rub in this clip.

This is the best I can find of the 4-3.

Anyway, apropos of nothing...that 0-0 last night means we've now only conceded 1 goal in our last 5 at home in the league.

946470851_ScreenShot2022-01-27at09_56_09.thumb.png.f22fae1865b6028c49bf6cee637ac7ec.png

Which is nice.

I enjoy that it's 1 in our last 5 and 7 in our last 6 :lol:

Some turnaround after the Rangers game tbf.

We've played 300 odd mins since the winter break and I think Liam Kelly's genuinely only had one save to make.

For the most part, bar some occasional lapses, we look an organised and well drilled unit. The opposition are struggling to create a great deal against us and that's a decent starting point. However, you can clearly see the big Tony Watt shaped hole in our attack.

It reminds me ironically enough of this time a few years ago when we signed Watt. We had a fairly settled front three before the break then we lost Cole as well as Scott in January and we were left struggling to adjust. Admittedly we're not quite at Manzinga and Mugabi up top at Livi stage but we've tried 3 different combos in our 3 games back so far and none of them have really worked. 

Suppose it depends on whether Alexander thinks in time something will click with those already at his disposal or if a proper alternative to Watt is required. 

I suppose it depends on how you would define what a "proper alternative" to Tony Watt is.  I don't think anyone would class TW as an out-and-out striker, and even with his goals this season he still done a lot of work off the ball and created space & chances for others by running with the ball and taking players on.  So would bringing in a no.9 to replace Watt work? Would that just punt KvV out to the left again, where's he not his best? 

I think we need more of a direct wide man (do we have an Italian, Football Managery name for one of them?) who can create chances for the other forwards.  Basically an upgrade on Roberts & Shields.  What's Gboly up to these days?  I think a player like that, along with KvV and Woolery, and we'll be absolutely fine.  Shields & Roberts are fine enough to fill in when needed but don't think we can rely on them to be starters.

I would reallyreally prefer that we sign a striker. Soon.

Alexander has done enough to earn my trust whatever he does but it feels like madness not to at least try and replace Watt. I think it's safe to say that Aberdeen, Hibs and ourselves are much of a muchness,a nd with the OF likely going hammer and tong in a title race, I don't see why we couldn't make a decent run at the cup. We could potentially have a really strong second half of the season, surely now is the time to speculate to accumulate a little?

Agreed, although January is a shite time to get anyone with any kind of long term view, I think - unless you luck out and manage to find a half-decent loanee from down south.

Regardless, KVV is as mercurial as he is cultured so a replacement out-and-out striker is a must at some point.  I do have some confidence though that Alexander will be far more focussed on finding players who fit our system rather than the Robinson 'see what sticks' mindset.

A combination of Roberts/Woolery/Tierney/Shields is good to buzz around whoever is playing through the centre, but that middle role is harder to fill when KVV is off the boil.  TBH I wouldn't have been too averse to us looking at Cummings before he left Dundee - similar story to Watt in some ways. 

No chance is Van Veen fit, but the showing against Morton made it plainly clear that none of our other forward options can play the #9 role in the front 3. Roberts, Shields, Justin and Woolery can all play on the left or the right of it to some degree, but none of them can do the role that Watt was doing, and KVV can do.

Saw a whisper (I forget where) that we might have been sniffing around Doidge, and if there was even a hint of truth in that I'd bite your hand off for it. Either way, may be where Alexander was going with the 'not a direct replacement', as a recognised centre forward is what we need, not a variety of roles in a forward.

1 minute ago, one m in Motherwell said:

TBH I wouldn't have been too averse to us looking at Cummings before he left Dundee - similar story to Watt in some ways. 

Think this is unfair on Watt more than anything. Cummings has never, ever performed at top flight level in the way that Watt has, and has regularly shown himself to be an absolute dingbat. Wouldn't touch him.

Actually agree with both positions here tbh.

The plus point of Watt (aside from him being a good player) was that he could play as a #9 or fit into the channel (which was where he was more useful whether he liked it or not). If we go out and bring in someone who's exclusively a #9 then it leaves us either shoving van Veen out wide or rotating them. I'm not saying Tony Watt's the only player who can do that but the January window is probably pretty tough to get you a guy who can do both.

It also feels like we need a KVV alternative though. He's been good, he's chipped in with goals and I think it's fair to think that he'll end up in double figures for us this season but it also feels like at the moment he's carrying the load in terms of expectations for goals.

Like others I'd bite your hand off for Doidge if that was remotely a thing.

We absolutely need a striker, whether it's to start or be an option on the bench. Rotating wide players isn't going to change a game, and we know that VV is likely to miss his fair share of starts. The Doidge type, or someone who can batter folk would be my preference.

What formation did we actually go to when we made the last changes last night, I was caught up in watching KVV as the lone striker that I didn’t take in what the rest of the personnel were doing.

Lone striker must be a dream come true for KVV, no expectation that he passes to anyone, just run for the goal and shoot, his natural game really.

Another +1 for the Doidge shouts. I’d bite your hand off for him. He’s Hibs best striker imo, maybe doesn’t score a tonne of goals but makes everyone in that team better.
While we are on about whispers and rumours, my mate who was in the PoD last night tells me there was a bit of chat about Mugabi heading to Hearts.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

What formation did we actually go to when we made the last changes last night, I was caught up in watching KVV as the lone striker that I didn’t take in what the rest of the personnel were doing.

Lone striker must be a dream come true for KVV, no expectation that he passes to anyone, just run for the goal and shoot, his natural game really.

Think we dropped to a flat-back-8

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

When Tierney came on for Sheilds, it was a 4-4-2 Diamond formation.  Tierney in the no.10, Maguire holding and Donnelly/Goss at either side.  Roberts was up with KVV.

When Shaw/Slattery came on, it ended up being 5-3-1 with Maguire going into the middle of three centre halves, Slattery/Shaw/Goss in the middle and KVV up front himself.