Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Alexander talking transfer stuff in his press conference...interesting.

He explained: "We've been doing a lot of talking. I think if we can try and strengthen the squad, we will try and do that.

"There's a couple parts of the team that I feel we need to strengthen. Defensively, we need to look at our pool of players and see about adding to that.

"I still feel there are things to iron out and get better at. We've always got our eyes and ears open. We talk to a lot of people so that when players are available, we assess whether we can get them.

"We need to look at whether they are good enough. If we have the group of players we have now, we are happy, but I think we can push this squad even by 1%.

"Everyone talks about consistency at centre-back. It's fundamental to how a team plays and defends. It's been the most disrupted part of our team all season. There's been consistency in all the other positions."

"We are looking longer term as well. They aren't just for now. Even though we are in January and the second part of the season to compete for, we are looking at targets for next season and beyond.

"We will look at players who can go straight into the team, compete or ones we can get up to speed over the next few months.

"We are looking at different profiles for players. With the injuries we have got at the minute, we are a little bit stretched. We need to make sure we have enough quality to finish this season well."

Link

Hmmmm....

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I mean it's definitely a more measured approach than the Robinson 12-18 or the Baraclough throw-enough-shit-at-the-wall-and-something-will-stick.

It definitely feels like a bigger picture discussion.

Tbh, this whole season has felt like a transitional thing with Alexander bringing in some of his own bodies (successfully for the most part) and working out what he does with those he inherited.

I noticed a comment he made post-match on Saturday when he was praising Donnelly that basically had him put his hands up a bit about his injuries this season:

"He's been out for such a long time and had a horrendous time with injuries but we've sort of took our time after me being too pushy with him at the start of the season, trying to get him in the team. He's trained exceptionally well for the last six to eight weeks, got in the team and played very well and we know he's got the quality to do that."

Either way, the idea that we're out there looking for players who'd go straight into the team is novel.

Kind of agree with others re: full back. When you think that SOD's back-up seems to be playing Bevis out of position rather than Grimshaw and the ongoing Carroll/McGinley weirdness (especially with Carroll being preferred as an emergency CB) it's an area that needs addressing.

His last point about "With the injuries we have got at the minute, we are a little bit stretched." definitely hints at an issue with either Lamie or Mugabi or both given they were missing from the squad on Saturday.

Edited by capt_oats

If we're planning long(er) term then I can see why another centre back would be a target for Alexander.

I think Ojala is a class act and our best centre back but he's 32 as well as seemingly fairly injury prone. Lamie limped off against Hibs back in early December and the only time he's been heard of since is was when he was being linked with a move to England in the summer. While the transformation in Mugabi under Alexander has been such that I simply can't see him signing a new deal here as he's bound to have better offers.

Which basically leaves Sol, who while excellent when fit has also had his problems with injuries even in his relatively short time here. So if we're looking beyond the next 4 months then I can certainly see why Alexander is looking at other centre back options.

I wouldn't say it's a pressing concern at this moment in time but you can't fault Alexander if he's looking a window or two ahead. 

Edited by Casagolda

I think it must have been a known trade-off, getting an international with decent pedigree in Ojala, with his injury record. He's never managed 25 league games in a season in his career and he is 32. I'm not sure if Alexander is revising that strategy when talking about consistency of selection at centre-back.

It's funny that despite the fact I've no major grievance against any of our centre backs this season - Ojala and Sol have been good when fit, Lamie has done a job every time he's been in the team and we've seen a much improved version of Mugabi - we are 4th on overall position, but only 9th in terms of our defence. That's probably something we do need to address somewhere.

It also doesn't say much for O'Connor that he's behind an unfavoured left-back in the pecking order and we're still thinking of bringing a new player in.

59 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think it must have been a known trade-off, getting an international with decent pedigree in Ojala, with his injury record. He's never managed 25 league games in a season in his career and he is 32. I'm not sure if Alexander is revising that strategy when talking about consistency of selection at centre-back.

It's funny that despite the fact I've no major grievance against any of our centre backs this season - Ojala and Sol have been good when fit, Lamie has done a job every time he's been in the team and we've seen a much improved version of Mugabi - we are 4th on overall position, but only 9th in terms of our defence. That's probably something we do need to address somewhere.

It also doesn't say much for O'Connor that he's behind an unfavoured left-back in the pecking order and we're still thinking of bringing a new player in.

In fairness to O'Connor he picked up an injury back in November (November 30th to be exact).

996550936_ScreenShot2022-01-25at15_59_57.thumb.png.c94456b17ced60e0179fdd0cb50ef7f5.png

If we're giving others the benefit of the doubt with them coming back from injury I'd imagine it's a similar situation with him.

Edited by capt_oats

New Motherwell defender signed

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2022/01/25/victor-nirennold-signs/

Victor Nirennold signs

Victor Nirennold has joined the club on a deal until the end of the season.

The versatile Frenchman has signed after a brief training spell, having most recently plied his trade in the Malaysian Super League.

“Victor gives us added competition down the right hand side of our team,” manager Graham Alexander said of the new recruit.

“He has attributes that will fit in to how we play, and a character that his team mates will appreciate.

“We’re happy to have him here with us and look forward to working with him again.”

Standing at 6ft 4in, Nirennold is primarily a right-sided defender, who can play either at centre back or full back. He can also play at right midfield.

The 30-year-old was a youth player at Stade Rennais before moving to the United States to study business at Erskine College in South Carolina.

Featuring for the college team and then at Nova Southeastern University, his professional career started in USL2 with FC Miami City in 2015.

Picked up in August later that year by manager Alexander at Fleetwood Town, he would spend three years in England before a switch to Slovakia with FK Senica.

Spells in Vietnam and Malaysia followed, before his arrival at Fir Park.

Edited by Well Well

I'm guessing Big Vic joining means that Bevis is going to be out longer term, and Grimshaw is well out the picture for right back. Hopefully the guy can come in and do a job until the end of the season. At least Grezza knows what he's getting with him.

I've just been checking out our upcoming fixtures, and it's a big couple of weeks coming up that'll go a long way to decide whether we're fighting for Europe or just a top 6 spot come the split. We've got a really tough run coming up with; Hibs (H), Hearts (A), St Mirren (H), Celtic (H), Dundee Utd (A), Aberdeen (H) all in the next month.

Hearts have Celtic, Motherwell, Hibs and Rangers in their next 4, and Hibs have arguable the easiest set of fixtures with Motherwell, Livi, Hearts and St Mirren. 

It's going to be an interesting couple weeks, as Hearts could easily only pick up 1-3 points in their next 4 which could open up the race for 3rd if we can stick some results together over the next few games.