Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Tierney looked very promising and showed he has a role to play even at this early stage. Sadly it also looked like he injured himself in the build up to the winning goal. 

The front 3 sans Van Veen and Watt didn’t really click, as mentioned elsewhere we lacked a focal point(and quality) in the final third until Van Veen came on. Given his penchant for bookings and his injury record, we surely have to look into bringing in another forward option before the window closes.

Like others, I find it bizarre that Slattery continues to be over looked when based on both ability and performances he’s our best midfielder. Also find it strange that one of the best crossers of the ball at the club was playing centre back while McGinley continues to amble up and down the line not offering a great deal. 

Can only assume there’s more to it than meets the eye. Overall though I thought we were the better team who deserved to go through and did so job done I suppose. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Tierney looked very promising and showed he has a role to play even at this early stage. Sadly it also looked like he injured himself in the build up to the winning goal. 

The front 3 sans Van Veen and Watt didn’t really click, as mentioned elsewhere we lacked a focal point(and quality) in the final third until Van Veen came on. Given his penchant for bookings and his injury record, we surely have to look into bringing in another forward option before the window closes.

Like others, I find it bizarre that Slattery continues to be over looked when based on both ability and performances he’s our best midfielder. Also find it strange that one of the best crossers of the ball at the club was playing centre back while McGinley continues to amble up and down the line not offering a great deal. 

Can only assume there’s more to it than meets the eye. Overall though I thought we were the better team who deserved to go through and did so job done I suppose. 

The fact that we've gone from pretty much publishing players medical histories to secret squirrel means it's quite difficult to get a handle on things with players being disappeared from the team/squad. That was Bevis and Grimshaw missing from the match squad yesterday.

It seems clear Alexander fancies Carroll as a centre back more than McGinley (ironic given McGinley was supposedly signed as a CB) so with Ojala and O'Connor both coming back from injury and Lamie presumably still carrying whatever he picked up against Hibs last month it's not ideal but I guess it is what it is.

@Yorky alludes to it at the top of the page but I had wondered if Slattery was maybe one of the group who had Covid over Christmas and is maybe being eased back. I get he was benched pre-break but there's a chance that was down to the suspension situation.

As far as KVV goes he's 30+ and has a patchy injury record so I get why we'd have rotated him out yesterday given we played on Tuesday past and have games on Wednesday/Saturday. I think yesterday was a good argument for why we need a KVV alternative though.

For the most part we were fine yesterday and definitely deserved to go through IMO. There was just a lack of threat, which as learning curves go shouldn't be a massive surprise when you've sold your top scorer and benched the guy who was 2nd top.

Edited by capt_oats

Agree with the comments on Tierney, definitely looks like he’ll offer something a bit different in an attacking sense.
What I liked about him was that everything he did during his time on the park was positive, whether it was running or passing, he was always looking to positively progress the ball. There’s probably some analytical acronym for it that I don’t know about.
Good to see Slattery back on the park too, hopefully it’s the start of a sustained run of starts for him. I still don’t think we’ve quite got the balance to our midfield right, but on paper Donnelly, Slattery and Goss look like it should tick most of the boxes - I’ve no idea if they’ve started a game together yet?
Not going to dwell on the negatives too much but so much of our play broke down with the full backs yesterday…

11 minutes ago, dezz said:

Agree with the comments on Tierney, definitely looks like he’ll offer something a bit different in an attacking sense.
What I liked about him was that everything he did during his time on the park was positive, whether it was running or passing, he was always looking to positively progress the ball. There’s probably some analytical acronym for it that I don’t know about.

Also good to see Tierney, 5 minutes into his debut, giving Van Veen pelters for shooting and not passing to him. 

I actually thought SOD was one of few who made positive forward passes, very often connecting with one of the attackers coming short.  He had a poor first 10 minutes in the second half but overall held his own.

And to add, his quick throw ins were effective early on although this impact faded.

Edited by ropy

5 minutes ago, CoF said:

Also good to see Tierney, 5 minutes into his debut, giving Van Veen pelters for shooting and not passing to him. 

I am a bit conflicted with KVV’s greed, there are often options to play a pass but the thing we were missing was attempts on goal.  Until he came on the ball would always be swept wide rather than into the box.

I sort of get why managers (like Robinson and Alexander) love anywhere-across-the-front-three-ers so much. Competent, out and out, strikers are a pretty rare commodity in our market- we fairly lucked out in ending up with Watt and KVV at the same time, while the rest of teams at our level have to gamble on guys like Cummings and Griffiths or persist with the likes of Kane and Main etc. 

I do feel this leads to situations like ours though, where our striking options are now essentially a talented, but angry, old Dutch man and four wingers. Even a Jordan White shaped lump to throw on in the last 15 minutes would give us something different imo.

I actually thought SOD was one of few who made positive forward passes, very often connecting with one of the attackers coming short.  He had a poor first 10 minutes in the second half but overall held his own.
And to add, his quick throw ins were effective early on although this impact faded.

Sod was fine yesterday, the amount of shocking balls he received from either Kelly or, usually Maguire, was unreal. Maguire in particular seemed to be blootering them towards his bad foot at every opportunity.

I sort of get why managers (like Robinson and Alexander) love anywhere-across-the-front-three-ers so much. Competent, out and out, strikers are a pretty rare commodity in our market- we fairly lucked out in ending up with Watt and KVV at the same time, while the rest of teams at our level have to gamble on guys like Cummings and Griffiths or persist with the likes of Kane and Main etc. 
I do feel this leads to situations like ours though, where our striking options are now essentially a talented, but angry, old Dutch man and four wingers. Even a Jordan White shaped lump to throw on in the last 15 minutes would give us something different imo.
I thought Shields looked OK but got very little to work with yesterday. He completely disappeared when put out wide though.

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I guess no one in our Award Winning™ Social Media Team listened to the audio on this.

Hilarious. I assume that was a Morton player.

The good news is he did not miss it. 

Overall a good result but disappointing performance. I would have started Slattery, Van Veen and Tierney and that is before what I saw unfold. Maybe they were being rested or protected as busy schedule but we looked a much better team when all 3 were on the pitch.

I was getting a lift home so when my driver said shall we go at HT of ET I said happy to ! That teaches me, but I am also one of those who genuinely believe had I / we stayed we would be out of the cup. No logic at all but…

31 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:
 I guess no one in our Award Winning™ Social Media Team listened to the audio on this.
7 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

If you watch the background closely you can see it was Imrie himself 🤣

Maybe someone in our Award Winning™ Social Media Team DID listen to the audio after all.