Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:
2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:
I'd normally expect to lose one and win the other, but this Aberdeen team are about as rough and tough as a blanket, and expect us to beat them every time we play them this season.

hmmmmmmm

Well u will b happy with the draw Baldie. 

Not great for us considering the teams left in the draw. p

Someone will get a rogering and history shows it will b u cnuts. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, this is taking more a tangent than a rocking horse, but I'm playing FM09 and Motherwell youth team is stacked in places.

Motherwell.thumb.png.756cc167c8d17cf0cd7f225624ee9d2e.png

Reserves have an 18yo Jamie Murphy, and Mark Archdeacon, who always turned out class in this I'm sure.

Yeah, this is a good list of players I meant, effectively. All probably quite good at playing against other 18 year olds, less good playing against players that aren't 18.

39 minutes ago, Swello said:

Meant to say - kudos to the fair number of supporters who left after 90 mins today - they might get a surprise if they pick up a paper tomorrow :)

Did this happen? Many, including myself, went for a comfort break.  Excellent if folk actually left.  It would be like the 6-6 game with folk trying to sneak back in.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Even though he looked like he'd been plucked from the family section - I was really impressed with Tierney today - always looking to do the right thing. Looking forward to seeing more of him...

Given there's been a lot of chat about what position he plays it was really interesting to see where he fitted in and that we kind of changed shape a bit to accommodate him - it became a sort of 4312 with Tierney just hanging about off two forwards and finding little pockets of space and making late runs.

There were at least a couple of times where a simple square ball would have given him a tap in.

24 minutes ago, ropy said:

Did this happen? Many, including myself, went for a comfort break.  Excellent if folk actually left.  It would be like the 6-6 game with folk trying to sneak back in.

While that may be the case for some people, extra time was a bit empty compared to the 90 minutes.

Some people probably have a reason (need to take kids back,etc) but I bet some were just fed up of the performance  and couldn't take another 30 minutes.

I had to suffer the full 90so another 30 didn't bother me as much as I thought 

Given there's been a lot of chat about what position he plays it was really interesting to see where he fitted in and that we kind of changed shape a bit to accommodate him - it became a sort of 4312 with Tierney just hanging about off two forwards and finding little pockets of space and making late runs.
There were at least a couple of times where a simple square ball would have given him a tap in.

Wee man looked good when he came on. Always looking for the ball and had a few nice touches. Needs to bulk up a bit tho but that will come with time. Looks promising

1 hour ago, ropy said:

There were quite a few folk around us left and didn't come back - maybe stood up the back but I doubt it

6 hours ago, ropy said:

I’m thinking stag night, woke up as the train arrived at Euston, no cards or cash.

Woke up in Azerbaijan missing a kidney, lung and feet with a goat licking my stumps (he's been called Kevin) ...... still hopeful I could compete with McGinley for a start.

After seeing the highlights there and following on BBC updates and here/SOL during the day a few things stood out:

Pro's:

• We're though
  • Tierney's input seems to have gotten a universal thumbs up, not covered on BBC but highlights package was 2 mins tops
  • Their keeper kept them in the tie 

Con's:

• The starting line up after what was a shit show on Tuesday, no evidence of many being punished. Biggest villain of the night was Bevis and wasn't in the squad so you have to assume it was injury based. Granted some probably got a reprieve based on injuries
  • The half-arsed attempt by Carroll to cover his man leading to their goal. After his rightful annoyance at sitting on the sidelines for so long this was his chance to make Alexander reassess however he didn't seem to take that chance
  • Many focus on Tony's workrate but his footballing intelligence physical build and strength, dribbling and 1-2's are overlooked and not easy to replace
  • Lot of talk of over complication/touches and therefore any zip taken out our attacks
  • Functioning midfield with the right balance still elusive. Feel a bit for Cornelius, comes in does a job and is sidelined for Maguire/Donnelly. Donnelly is probably worth persevering based on past performances and confidence will be high now
  • Slattery - From one of the top three names on the teamsheet can get my head round his under use. If it is injury based it is a very slow drip feed back. Don't know but could it be a falling out? His pedigree, performances and salary demand more use.

We'll get a better idea where we are in midweek but at present probably happy with KVV, just wish it wasn't a brace and three games off the radar. Wish Goss would do more core midfield stuff.

Really unimpressed with our international captain, both left backs, stability of any centre half pairing, Maguire and Woolery's composure at times. Today and Tuesday make me think it may be full backs that may have moved ahead of a striker for deadline day target(s).

We could also do a lot worse than do what was done to us and approach the likes of Charles-Cook, Spittal or Hungbo on a pre-contract who all on an off day are still 10x more effective than Amulazor will ever be. Unless Big Roy's millions are funding them outside our means. Don't doubt there are probably targets we're chasing via the moneyball software.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Full disclosure, I haven't seen a minute of today's game.

If Slattery doesn't start against Hibs we should all be massively concerned.

He got 73' vs Celtic and picked up a yellow card, which meant 1 games grace (St Johnstone) before he served a ban against Livingston. While not finishing the 90 at Parkhead his inclusion the following week shows he was deemed fit. Maybe made sense to bench him to have him as an option if the player brought into the team (Cornelius) came up short but gets familiarisation and minutes in the tank for the game Slattery definitely can't contribute to (Livvy). Maguire was used against St Johnstone. However since then he's been benched in Dingwall and Morton (however getting 14' in the Cup).

Based on his game of primarily disrupting the opposition and performances, Ross County screamed for his involvement when it seemed to be one way traffic after the equaliser.

Today's continued benching can only suggest it's one of three, persevere with Tuesday's team and allow them a chance for making up for a shitty performance, minor niggle that could allow involvement but ideally left to give max chance of it not getting worse and finally Grezza not selecting for some other issue.

His last competitive action was six weeks ago, any injury has not been deemed serious enough to remove him from contention. However every chance this is training related and recurring. Sincerely hope it is he's at +85% and precautionary and nothing else.

Edited by Kapowzer

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That’s exactly how I saw it and it was very effective. He’s certainly an attacking threat but does not have the physical, strength which hopefully will change over time.

Edited by Yorky

30 minutes ago, Yorky said:

That’s exactly how I saw it and it was very effective. He’s certainly an attacking threat but does not have the physical, strength which hopefully will change over time.

I might be thinking in Ye Olde Fashioned way, but isn't there still an argument for not bulking up... some players are better when they're lighter on their feet.  Tierney looks like he might be that sort.
One of our previous decent players (and of course I can't remember which one) suffered an injury, came back with twice as much muscle but ended up making half the impact he previously did. 

Just now, RostokMcSpoons said:

I might be thinking in Ye Olde Fashioned way, but isn't there still an argument for not bulking up... some players are better when they're lighter on their feet.  Tierney looks like he might be that sort.
One of our previous decent players (and of course I can't remember which one) suffered an injury, came back with twice as much muscle but ended up making half the impact he previously did. 

Maybe, although I don’t think he’s ever going to bulk up to any large level the worry would be him getting bullied out of games at the top level. I was just delighted to see him take the game to the opposition. Lots of self confidence and a real menace, they really struggled to cope with him when he came on and ended up just resorted to fouling.

5 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

He got 73' vs Celtic and picked up a yellow card, which meant 1 games grace (St Johnstone) before he served a ban against Livingston. While not finishing the 90 at Parkhead his inclusion the following week shows he was deemed fit. Maybe made sense to bench him to have him as an option if the player brought into the team (Cornelius) came up short but gets familiarisation and minutes in the tank for the game Slattery definitely can't contribute to (Livvy). Maguire was used against St Johnstone. However since then he's been benched in Dingwall and Morton (however getting 14' in the Cup).

Based on his game of primarily disrupting the opposition and performances, Ross County screamed for his involvement when it seemed to be one way traffic after the equaliser.

Today's continued benching can only suggest it's one of three, persevere with Tuesday's team and allow them a chance for making up for a shitty performance, minor niggle that could allow involvement but ideally left to give max chance of it not getting worse and finally Grezza not selecting for some other issue.

His last competitive action was six weeks ago, any injury has not been deemed serious enough to remove him from contention. However every chance this is training related and recurring. Sincerely hope it is he's at +85% and precautionary and nothing else.

I thought he was out due to covid ?

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Pretty sure it's Charlie Dunne you're thinking of.

He had a history of injuries when he signed but when he came back at the start of 18/19 season he looked massively bulked and picked up a groin injury almost straight away.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/07/27/charles-dunne-sidelined-with-groin-injury/

Edited by capt_oats