Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

52 minutes ago, ropy said:

Presumably we are using two busses for Covid stuff, a wee stop at Pitlochry to allow GA to get tore into Bus 2.

Luketti and Grezza were tag teaming .... nobody was pulling the sleeping masks over eyes and the beats audios up last night

57 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Wee Allan just notched again for Luton.

The fact I care enough to post this illustrates exactly the difference between a player leaving for a club in a whole other league, compared to TW and the fact I'll never care to mention him again.

It's kind of sad really, he was fantastic for us

Just look at his wee face...

Tbh, I think it kind of feeds into the discussion that was going on in the St Johnstone thread about Ali McCann not starting under their new manager. It's such a meat grinder of a league that there's a degree of satisfaction seeing a player that we're invested in actually making a go of it.

He's some boi.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I think it kind of feeds into the discussion that was going on in the St Johnstone thread about Ali McCann not starting under their new manager. It's such a meat grinder of a league that there's a degree of satisfaction seeing a player that we're invested in actually making a go of it.

I don't know how to word this as I know Luton finished above Preston last season and will likely do so again, but I often wonder if players are better going to "smaller" sides down South. "Grand old teams" like Preston are filled with weird notions they belong in the top flight so everything is short term, don't perform for a month and you're punted as they sprint down the next rabbit hole that they see. Clubs like Luton understand the highs and lows of things and give players/managers time. Looking back Luton just seems like a really good fit for Campbell so he/his agent deserve credit for that, Preston was just a stupid move for McCann as he chased the money. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't know how to word this as I know Luton finished above Preston last season and will likely do so again, but I often wonder if players are better going to "smaller" sides down South. "Grand old teams" like Preston are filled with weird notions they belong in the top flight so everything is short term, don't perform for a month and you're punted as they sprint down the next rabbit hole that they see. Clubs like Luton understand the highs and lows of things and give players/managers time. Looking back Luton just seems like a really good fit for Campbell so he/his agent deserve credit for that, Preston was just a stupid move for McCann as he chased the money. 

I'm sure someone (Burrows? Robinson?) made a similarish point about being selective about the clubs we sell to based on their own transfer strategies. Along the lines of it hypothetically being better to sell to a club with a history of developing and reselling players for a profit- with a sell on % included- than accepting a higher initial offer from a club where players go and stagnate.

Most of the clubs in the English Championship seem to think they should be in the Premier League despite some of them having been nowhere near it for decades. They chuck money about trying to get promoted which is why there's so many financial basket cases down there.

Luton were a bit of a shambles a few years ago but seem to have sorted themselves out a bit. It's good to see Campbell doing well down there and turning into a goalscorer (apparently).

Ali McCann was obviously well thought of by St Johnstone fans but if he's out the picture at Preston it wouldn't surprise me if he pitched up at the likes of Aberdeen or Hibs in the near future.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

McCann canny get a game?

They changed manager and I think he's been dropped since.

This time next year they'll change manager again I'd guess.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Preston haven't been a top flight team since about the 60's. Had a wee go at the play offs about 12 years ago but they are dug shite.

McCann canny get a game?

He's only started one league game since their new manager came in. Unused sub in their last 3 in the league although he started their FA Cup game against Cardiff.

Spoiler

1920025520_ScreenShot2022-01-20at10_27_06.thumb.png.9c3c35ebfe088a59f744c358df1bf513.png

Manager changed the formation I think and played McCann at right wing back for a game where he obviously didn’t perform. Dropped since then, but a quick look on the Preston forum sees the fans wanting the manager to accommodate him and get him back in the team. When he’s played he’s impressed down there. Always the same when a new manager comes in though and tries to make a mark on the team. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

"Grand old teams" like Preston are filled with weird notions they belong in the top flight...

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Preston haven't been a top flight team since about the 60's.

Preston's delusions of grandeur sound even more "Aberdeen" than Aberdeen's are.

48 minutes ago, Widge said:

Manager changed the formation I think and played McCann at right wing back for a game where he obviously didn’t perform.

The English Championship is a helluva drug.

Genuinely reckon they should just allocate 28 players to a squad and a manager randomly at the start of the season. 

Just further to this btw, this is absolutely bananas: https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-bristol-city-losses-pandemic-championship-opinion

How are these clubs keeping the lights on?

Edited by thisGRAEME

It seems like an incredibly grim way to watch football, tbh. Maybe exciting if you're one of the teams competing for promotion or relegation, but for half the league their season is over by October and they have to slog their way through 46 utterly meaningless games.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thinking back to last January's window when we kb'd Millwall's approach for Campbell, Rowett came out after the window had closed and said:

“We had some really good targets, a couple of young players in Scotland who have done really well at their clubs and we saw real potential for the future – not necessarily right now."

Link

The fact that he ended up at Luton where they seem invested in him and brought him in with a view to making him part of the first team rather than "potential for the future" feels important.

On @YassinMoutaouakil's earlier point about trying to be selective with the clubs we deal with I kind of wonder if the fact that both Robinson and Alexander played for Luton came into things. Like, Campbell was OOC so we didn't really get a say but I half wonder if we helped sell them on the player.

As a league the Championship just feels like the sort of platform where you get one shot, one opportunity (if you will) and if you don't take it you're fucked. If you don't hit the ground running then you're quickly forgotten and they'll find another player to take your place. There's absolutely zero settling in time.

Jimmy Scott seems like a good example of Championship move gone wrong.

Signs for a club comfortably mid-table, injured on literally his first day of training, he's out for 6 months, pandemic hits, players refuse to extend their contracts to enable them to play the remaining games and by the time he's back Hull have slipped from 13th to 20th and end up relegated.

Now he's papped out on loan and can't get into the Hibs team (though by all accounts he's not really helped himself much there).

Edited by capt_oats

I know a lot of the EPL/EFL fanboys like to talk about the 'standard' of Scottish Football (it boils my piss, btw!) but I was at Preston v Barnsley back in December. It was fucking guff. 

Considering some of these players were on £10k a week (at least!) it was dire stuff. You've literally got clubs clinging on for dear life (hiya Derby!) in some quest to reach the Premier League and get relegated so they can fill their coffers (good afternoon Norwich!). It's insanity and I await the next ITV Digital style collapse. 

Edited by Desp

14 minutes ago, Desp said:

I know a lot of the EPL/EFL fanboys like to talk about the 'standard' of Scottish Football (it boils my piss, btw!) but I was at Preston v Barnsley back in December. It was fucking guff. 

Considering some of these players were on £10k a week (at least!) it was dire stuff. You've literally got clubs clinging on for dear life (hiya Derby!) in some quest to reach the Premier League and get relegated so they can fill their coffers (good afternoon Norwich!). It's insanity and I await the next ITV Digital style collapse. 

Ali McCann is on around 10K before any bonuses so I'd imagine a few will be on a fair bit more.