Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm still fuming after last night. I'd be quite happy if Nathan McGinley never played for us again.

So would most of us but he starts every week. He has the odd good game, but I have remarked before and will again he has the body of a vegan teenager (no offence). My dog could take the ball off him and yet another defensive lapse leading to a goal against. 

So would most of us but he starts every week. He has the odd good game, but I have remarked before and will again he has the body of a vegan teenager (no offence). My dog could take the ball off him and yet another defensive lapse leading to a goal against. 

That could be the best description of him I've read [emoji23].

I honestly don't know what Carroll has to do to get a get. He's far better going forward, can take set pieces and is no worse defensively. I'm sure Carroll got a daft read card not long after Alexander took over and it's as though it's been hanging over him since.

We are a weird team under Alexander. When we're good we're really good and batter f**k out teams. When we're bad we are completely awful. Mugabi has been great this season but he had a complete stinker last night. McGinley might be rapid but his mistake for the second goal is honking. Unforgivable to lose the ball there and jog back. Not to apply Luke Watt Syndrome to Jake Carroll but come on to f**k he's got to be worth a go on Sunday. 

Really looking forward to Morton on Saturday now. 🙃

That's the second time this season that McGinley being soft as shite has in essence cost us the game. Every time I think I'm too harsh on him and he's maybe turning a corner, he turns in a performance like that. Hopefully we see Carroll at the weekend. If not, McGinley is one booking from a ban, so hopefully his ban is afforded the same sideline period that Carroll's has.

Unfortunately the Robinson version of Mugabi and the Alexander version of Donnelly appeared last night. I'd have much preferred it the other way around.

We were very lucky to keep 11 men on, that's a definite second yellow for SOD. 

Don't understand Slattery's omission at all and if Ojala is injured again that's heavily frustrating.

Last night probably typifies why I'll never fully be on board with the manager. 

As long as Motherwell are winning football games, I'll be happy. Fair play, we've won our fair share this season, but when we lose? Jesus, the light certainly shines on the style of football he wants to implement. 

How can you look at our options in midfield and think Donnelly, Maguire and Goss is going to cut it? I didn't see the Livi game but it probably says more about Livi's midfield that we won that. I think Goss is a decent player, but there's no way he's going to be the main man in a midfield three. He'll complement other good players in there, and I'm sorry to say neither Donnelly or Maguire are that. We can get away with one of them playing, I'm sure, but not two. I've already stated my bemusement at Slattery not getting a look in, but why is Cornelius not back in? After coming into the team and excelling in his starts (including a cracker of a goal), he's been launched again. It must be frustrating as f**k for certain players in the squad working under GA. 

As for Nathan McGinley? Jesus wept. Jake Carroll must have shagged the bosses' missus to be continually kept out the side by him. 

A tough run of fixtures coming up. It'll be interesting how our Top 6 aspirations are looking by the end of February.

For those lucky enough not to be in Dingwall last night think back to the Albion Rovers cup tie a few years back .

Against a surprisingly awful County we, despite dominating possession and territory, only mustered 2 ( maybe 3)shots on goal. 

Although not excusing our midfield they were largely by passed by our defence constantly shelling punts up the park. 

As for GA. I do like him but why did he not rejig our strategy when County go to 10. There was no sign of stretching County or getting behind their backs.

Re players. Nevis had a Mr Hyde performance. SOD deteriorated badly as game wore on. Goss was anonymous when he should have been opening up the County defence when down to 10. Mc Ginley imho played ok until his 'aberration'.

Truly awful night when even an average performance would have secured a comfortable win--- moreso when a win was served up on a plate.

Any news on why Ojala, Shaw, Tierney and Lamie didn't feature?

We go again!

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

That could be the best description of him I've read emoji23.png.

I honestly don't know what Carroll has to do to get a get. He's far better going forward, can take set pieces and is no worse defensively. I'm sure Carroll got a daft read card not long after Alexander took over and it's as though it's been hanging over him since.

It wasn't even that long after Alexander took over...it was this season. His red card was in the 79th minute against Dundee on 28th August.

IIRC he picked up an injury and went off early against Hibs at Easter Road last season and that gave McGinley a look in for the cup games and post-split.

Carroll was actually Alexander's first pick for a fair chunk of last season (and the start of this season up to the red card).

1148891611_ScreenShot2022-01-19at10_59_03.thumb.png.15f7367092567c7ad023366cc79557bc.png

153728872_ScreenShot2022-01-19at11_02_56.thumb.png.dae1e26423d1bd760ead63f8a74da80e.png

Edited by capt_oats

27 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Alexander actually gave him a new contract a few weeks in to coming in as manager too. It's a curious situation. I don't expect either to be Stevie Hammell, but for me Carroll has far more to offer than McGinley.

I'd guess (much like the Lawleff signing) that was something that had been in the works while Robinson was at the club so it's probably up for debate how much input Alexander had.

Alexander got the job 7th January and Carroll's contract extension was announced on the 21st - https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/01/21/jake-carroll-signs-new-contract/

I mean, I'm not saying Alexander didn't want him (he kept playing him for long enough) but presumably it wouldn't have been great man management to stroll into the club and whip a contract extension off the table.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Do undisclosed fees (i.e Watt's) usually show up in the accounts eventually?

The cumulative total of fees appears under the 'Gains on disposal of player registration' line (last year was £1,098,608 - mostly for Jimmy Scott).

Given the AGM hasn't been announced yet (last year's was the start of February with the accounts formally submitted to Companies House 12th Feb 2021) I actually wondered if it'd appear in this year's accounts for year end 31st May 2021 under the 'Events after the reporting date' section.

Although there's a lack of detail there eg: last year's accounts read:

"However, subsequent to the year end the Club has recognised record fees for the transfer of David Turnbull's player registration and has since had its entitlement to claim under its Business Interruption insurance policy accepted. Interim claims have been lodged with further claims to be raised. It is anticipated that the above events will generate income for the club that is in excess of £4m.

On 31st December 2020 the Club accepted the resignation of its first team manager Stephen Robinson, and on 7th December January 2021 appointed Graham Alexander as its new manager."

Edited by capt_oats

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The cumulative total of fees appears under the 'Gains on disposal of player registration' line (last year was £1,098,608 - mostly for Jimmy Scott).

Given the AGM hasn't been announced yet (last year's was the start of February with the accounts formally submitted to Companies House 12th Feb 2021) I actually wondered if it'd appear in this year's accounts for year end 31st May 2021 under the 'Events after the reporting date' section.

Although there's a lack of detail there eg: last year's accounts read:

The Dundee Courier (possibly other places too) openly reporting it as £100,000. Most likely just '6 figure fee' + 2 = 5.

21 minutes ago, stu92 said:

The Dundee Courier (possibly other places too) openly reporting it as £100,000. Most likely just '6 figure fee' + 2 = 5.

Aye, I noticed that Scott Burns, who had been pretty much been fed the story, was sticking with the vague 'six figure fee'.

1893823243_ScreenShot2022-01-19at13_34_25.thumb.png.8e708d7d338ade6650b8988a40f392a2.png

The £100k number seemed to come from United fans rounding down the 'six figure fee' thing and it stuck.

Had Burns reported it I'd have said there's a fair chance it was accurate but less so The Courier.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt it's significantly more than that given we had little leverage and how much United would realistically be able to pay in cash but still...

Actually, I'd missed this comment in the Record from Alexander.

1176105444_ScreenShot2022-01-19at13_22_08.thumb.png.a671bb857c4578d678148c0b787098d5.png

Edited by capt_oats

16 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Then those thoughts are tempered with being on a bus for 4 hours down the A9 tonight with his seethe and rage down the front:

Presumably we are using two busses for Covid stuff, a wee stop at Pitlochry to allow GA to get tore into Bus 2.